Forum Home» Ebay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales

adding a percentage to total win price??

New Post Advanced Search

adding a percentage to total win price??

12 replies 1.1K views
loopyloo_4loopyloo_4 Forumite
222 posts
✭✭
Can anyone tell me why this person would ask for 5% to be added to the total price. Even if you arent using paypal??
I'm a bit scared to ask myself as they dont seem that nice when leaving feedback for people. I havent bid yet as I think its a cheek.

[mobile phone]
Life is not about how many breaths you take.... Its about how many moments take your breath away

Member of £2 coin savers = total so far £8

Replies

• soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    66.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't bid loopyloo look at the feedback!

I wouldn't touch this with even a specially extended bargepole!!

As for the 5% who knows? I am very surprised he has any bidders with or without a 5% surcharge.

Soo
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • wirmwirm Forumite
    5.3K posts
    I am sending them a message asking why they are adding 5% and will post their reply!
  • soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    66.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Ooh, I think I might send a question as well and see what happens.

Soo
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • the 5% will be to cover their listing fee's
  • ...which is not allowed under ebays policy! >:(
  • MarkyMarkDMarkyMarkD Forumite
    9.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Beat me to it!

It's pathetic how little ebay police their own site. Some very simple item scanning algorithms would pick up a huge proportion of these breaches to ebay rules.

How about flagging things with "link" or "add fee" or whatever?

How about flagging P&P amounts over a certain amount for (at least) random sample checking?

They could improve their own income as well as protecting buyers. ::)
  • wirmwirm Forumite
    5.3K posts
    got an email from him:
    the 5% is to cover the paypal fees if you pay by paypal that is all i do apoligise for it not being clearly described, but that is all it is for you will find most sellers ask for this when they sell thuings with such a value as its too much too lose with paypals fees and for the pice its still cheaper than most places. hope this helps
  • GladGlad Forumite, Board Guide
    18.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    same seller selling these links for sim cards
    very subtley worded, doesn't even mention the word 'link'
    STAY HOME - PROTECT THE NHS - SAVE LIVES
    I'm a Board Guide on the Money Savers Arms, Discussion Time, Wales, Competitions, Marriage Relationships & Families, Health and Pet Care boards. However, please do remember, board guides don't read every post. if you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    Compers please read the Comping Guide
  • wirmwirm Forumite
    5.3K posts
    same seller selling these links for sim cards
    very subtley worded, doesn't even mention the word 'link'

The winner will be emailed instructions on how to obtain 6 o2 sim cards as soon as payment is received
  • wirmwirm Forumite
    5.3K posts
    I got another email from that seller after I told him I was reporting his items
    report what you like but it wont stop us charging fees why should we offer cheap prices and pay paypal fees it aint on so report away. and if thats the case then you had better report thousands of other people too as pretty much eveyone else thats sells dear items ask for charges to be paid but even at our prices and the fees you still get the phone cheaper so what s your problem. if you had no intentions on buying anything from us then just get on with selling your own goods and dont worry about ours its really that simple
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support