What's the best white gloss paint in the world?

Options
124»

Comments

• porl999
    Options
    I run a small decorating business called Paul Tinsley Decorating and I have noticed a big change in what people want from a paint these days. When i first started out, water based gloss was a pretty new product and to be honest, deserved all the bad press it got. Having said that, modern water based gloss has come on leaps and bounds of late and more and more people request it, due to its non yellowing nature. In my opinion water based gloss still can't compete with an oil based trade gloss for levelling qualities and its also not as hard wearing but it does excel in colour retention and ease of application. So all in all it comes down to whether you want an ok finish that will last or a superior finish that will require repainting after a few years.

I hope this helps

Regards Paul.
  • keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    Options
    Remove the spammy first sentence Paul and then your post will be extremely helpful.

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    No doubt we will get loads more posts from Paul adding comments to really old posts and promoting his business.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • Leif
    Leif Posts: 3,727 Forumite
    Options
    I know this is an old thread, but reading around, the concensus from pros seems to be that some water based paints are not bad, but they require as many as 5 coats. I recently received an email from Dulux claiming that most manufacturers had solved the yellowing problem with gloss oil based paint. Well, a day or two ago I put up a loft door that I painted with Dulux gloss about 1 month ago, using paint purchased a week or so before. It is now not white, but cream, and contrasts quite dramatically with the white woodwork nearby.

From what I have learnt, it seems that an important reason why gloss paint goes yellow is the inclusion of linseed oil. I assume the International cupboard paint does not contain linseed oil. Sikkens Satura Plus also resists yellowing, and it does not contain linseed oil. I believe using an alternative to linseed oil pushes up the price. Apparently eggshell paints are more resistant to yellowing than gloss, possibly because they contain less linseed oil, and more pigment.
    Warning: This forum may contain nuts.
  • keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    Options
    Wouldn't worry too much Leif. Paul has dredged up this thread in order to open his post with an advert for his biz. Now he's been advised to remove said spam (nicely I hope) but there'll be lots of twitchy fingers aching to hit the spam button on his post if he doesn't. :D

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure