1235»

Comments

• stingyscot
    stingyscot Posts: 81 Forumite
    Low Fat Cereal Bars

1 cup rolled oats
    1 cup Rice Krispies
    2/3 cup chopped apricots
    3 tbsp roasted sunflower seeds (I don't bother toasting them)
    1/4 cup toasted coconut (I don't toast it)
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    2 tbsp oil
    3 tbsp honey
    2 tbsp peanut butter
    1 tbsp vanilla extract

1. Melt oil, honey, peanut butter in microwave just until easy to mix up, watch carefuly, probably 20 seconds or so.

2. Mix in vanilla.

3. Mix all ingredients together and press down well into 8" square tin.

4. Bake at 350F/180C/gas4 for 20 minutes.

This sounds yummy and nutritious, but low fat..? With 3 tblsp sunflower seeds, 2 tblsp oil, and 2 tblps peanut butter!
  • shala_moo
    shala_moo Posts: 3,272 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Sorry to all who PM'd me i've been away for a few days and this is the first opportunity I've had to come on!!

Banana Muffin Recipe

2 eggs
    1 tsp Vanilla
    75g melted butter
    125ml milk
    2 mashed bananas
    115g sugar
    250g wholemeal flour
    1tsp baking powder
    50g nuts or oats (optional

Beat eggs and sugar together, add the butter, bananas, milk and vanilla
    Add flour and baking powder (and optional extras)
    Bake for 20 mins at about 180' (not sure gas temps sorry)

It makes about 12 - depending on the size of your cases. I usually half the recipe so i have enough for one per day at work. Not sure if you could freeze them(???)

Hope this makes sense!!!
    Mortgage amount at 31/12/2011 £166,050 now £0 as at Sept 21 - 15yrs 4 months early.

• shala_moo
    shala_moo Posts: 3,272 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Cereal bar Recipe - borrowed from Good Food Mag

100g butter
    3tbsp golden syrup
    85g demerara sugar
    140g rolled oats
    cinnamon to taste
    50g dessicated coconut
    100g hazelnuts

In a pan melt butter, syrup and sugar until sugar has dissolved
    Pour in the oats and mix until completely covered
    Add cinnamon, coconut and nuts
    Press into a cake tin(square is best)
    Bake for 30-35 minutes at 160'
    Take out the oven and leave to cool for 5 mins then cut into squares/bars

They aren't the healthiest breakfast bar, but I play aound with the basic recipe.

You could omit the butter and use soft fruit for the moisture or do half butter half soft fruit.

I also use different nuts or drizzle some chocolate over them, use different fruits like raisins or mixed peels or even swap the nuts for seeds.

The list can be endless....
    Mortgage amount at 31/12/2011 £166,050 now £0 as at Sept 21 - 15yrs 4 months early.

• I used to be terrible for making toast, wrapping it up in kitchen roll and running for my bus! Can't really do that now I can drive :rotfl:
  • dfw844
    dfw844 Posts: 254 Forumite
    Thanks so much to everyone who posted recipes, they are really appreciated.

I feel a weekend of baking coming on...

xx
    Debt at highest Nov '06 £17,822.98
    Debt at LBM Nov '07 £14,231.63

DEBT FREE as of 01/01/09 now I have savings!!
  • shewhoguards
    shewhoguards Posts: 153 Forumite
    I tend to do my baking on Sunday, then I have breakfast for the week. One of my favourites is to do hot cross buns (without the crosses). I toast them on a morning while I'm hunting for shoes, and then the butter melts into them as I drive to work.

This week I didn't get time to bake, but I dropped into Lidl and got a bag of five croissants with chocolate centres. Can't remember the exact price, but it was under £1. They even come in little individual bags so they don't go stale.
  • I have been having this same breakfast for more than 10 years with some modifications. I stayed at a B&B on the Isle of Lewis with a woman who served only organic (and wonderful) food. Her alternative to bacon and eggs was this:

Soak a mugful of oats with the same amount of apple juice overnight in the fridge. This amount does me for two breakfasts, but feel free to eat it all!
    In the morning add natural yoghurt, a drizzle of honey and a handful of walnuts.

Oats vary in how much liquid they can absorb, so if there is free liquid on the surface, reduce the amount of juice you use, or if the mixture is too solid, use a little more juice.

In recent years, I have been trying to cut down my calories and have left out the honey and walnuts. Good quality apple juice gives all the sweetness you might want, and you can ring the changes with any other juice you like, though beware of orange juice which is very high in calories! Cranberry (juice, not juice drink!) and some of the more exotic fruit juices are lovely for a change.

Yum - keeps you going until lunchtime.:j
  • buckhysen
    buckhysen Posts: 19 Forumite
    For a quick, filling, healthy start to the day...

Add a banana, a tin of mandarins, a tin of pineapple and a few ice cubes to a blender and blend for less than a minute.

Tastes absolutely delicious, will keep you full till dinner time, wakes you up in the morning, is a big chunk of your 5 a day and above all is healthy!

If you're in a rush then put it into a sealed container or bottle and drink on way to work (Remember to shake as it's thick).

If like me you hate these smoothies with added milk/Yoghurt/etc then this is ideal as it's 100% pure fruit (If you buy the tinned fruit in natural juice).

Taking into account the cost of a tin of mandarins, a banana and a tin/half a tin of pineapple these can be made at less than £1.00, and will make over a pint.

Try it!
  • SusanPatel
    SusanPatel Posts: 40 Forumite
    Fave toast > drissle a little virgin olive oil over both side's of pref seedy bread,
    leave to soak for two mins, lightly toast YUM..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure