Great 'Breakfast MoneySaving' Hunt

Options

Comments

• Ivor_Bigun
    Ivor_Bigun Posts: 49 Forumite
    Options
    20p can of Coca-Cola & 10p packet of Walkers crisps keeps me going until 1pm...then Subway "sub of the day" £1.99....yummy, can't wait till 1pm, Italian B.M.T today :money:
  • Wooleycats
    Options
    I have a Knorr Vie Shot - which gives you around half of your 5 portions of fruit & veg (I try to use it as an extra though rather than instead of). Buy them when they are on offer at the supermarket as the dates are good (they dont even have to be kept in the fridge - but they taste better). Some of the flavours are a bit odd but some are fine.
    I also keep a box of cereal bars in my drawer (agin usually bought when of offer or at Costco).

Vie shot + cereal bar + a piece of fruit if I get peckish later
  • Estimator1
    Estimator1 Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    Just went to the shop at lunchtime, to buy my next week's breakfasts. 1 loaf, 1 jar jam £1.65 in total. Just put the bread in the toaster while I'm getting showered, put the jam on, wrap in foil & take to work to have later in the morning. It's much too early for breakfst when I get up, but usually have a drink of squash before I leave home.
  • alisona
    alisona Posts: 239 Forumite
    Options
    shala_moo wrote: »

Make cereal bars with oats, cheaper own brand cereal, dried fruit (and maybe some chocolate chips)

How do you make cereal bars? I would love to try it out as it sounds healthy and convenient. Thanks.
  • stayathomemum
    Options
    Low Fat Cereal Bars

1 cup rolled oats
    1 cup Rice Krispies
    2/3 cup chopped apricots
    3 tbsp roasted sunflower seeds (I don't bother toasting them)
    1/4 cup toasted coconut (I don't toast it)
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    2 tbsp oil
    3 tbsp honey
    2 tbsp peanut butter
    1 tbsp vanilla extract

1. Melt oil, honey, peanut butter in microwave just until easy to mix up, watch carefuly, probably 20 seconds or so.

2. Mix in vanilla.

3. Mix all ingredients together and press down well into 8" square tin.

4. Bake at 350F/180C/gas4 for 20 minutes.
    stayathomemum
  • stayathomemum
    Options
    Banana Flapjacks

Will last a week if kept somewhere reasonably cool in an airtight container - not that you'll have them hanging around that long! You can also add e.g. nuts and chopped dried fruits to your taste.

150g butter
    75g light muscovado sugar (I tend to use less, around 50g max - still plenty sweet enough)
    3 tablespoons liquid honey
    350g porridge oats (jumbo are best)
    1 pinch ground cinnamon
    ½ teaspoon baking powder
    2 medium bananas

1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.

2. Melt butter, sugar and honey in a large pan over a low heat until melted and combined.

3. Remove from heat.

4. Add the oats, cinnamon and baking powder – stir to combine.

5. Mash the bananas well, then stir into the oat mix.

6. Spoon into a greased 23 x 33 cm tin, packing tightly and smoothing over the top.

7. Bake in the centre of the oven for 20-25 mins, until golden.

8. Remove from oven and score into rectangles/squares.

9. Allow to cool in the tin before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
    stayathomemum
  • brownbake
    brownbake Posts: 561 Forumite
    Options
    We always have a good fry up on Sundays. I usually cook twice the amount and then put the cooled down stuff in the fridge. Put it in a tupperware container - sausages, bacon, hash browns, beans, tomatoes, fried bread and toast and mushrooms not forgetting a fried egg.

Give it a quick blast in the microwave at work and voila - me and my partner have a lovely fry up every day!! Try it - it's delicious.
  • Seakay
    Seakay Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Low Fat Cereal Bars

1 cup rolled oats
    1 cup Rice Krispies
    2/3 cup chopped apricots
    3 tbsp roasted sunflower seeds (I don't bother toasting them)
    1/4 cup toasted coconut (I don't toast it)
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    2 tbsp oil
    3 tbsp honey
    2 tbsp peanut butter
    1 tbsp vanilla extract

1. Melt oil, honey, peanut butter in microwave just until easy to mix up, watch carefuly, probably 20 seconds or so.

2. Mix in vanilla.

3. Mix all ingredients together and press down well into 8" square tin.

4. Bake at 350F/180C/gas4 for 20 minutes.

This sounds delicious, but is it really a tablespoonful of vanilla extract?
  • faithless
    faithless Posts: 782 Forumite
    Options
    steveandel wrote: »
    Get up 5mins earlier?! :confused: :rolleyes:

Seriously, if you want to save money, it's not exactly difficult to get out of bed 5mins earlier so you can have some breakfast at home and not have to buy it elsewhere?

I also have a bag of oats at work in case I get peckish mid morning!

It's not a time thing, I'm with Estimator1 - I just can't face eating breakfast first thing in the morning. By about 10am I'm hungry though, and by buying the cereal, milk and dried fruit from supermarket at beginning of week, it doesn't cost me anymore, as I'd eat the same thing if I was eating it in the house.
  • Lacero
    Lacero Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    I love my morning coffee - proper coffee not instant, but it's getting expensive at £1.85 a pop. So I invested in a one man caffetier (£10 but you can get cheaper) and a bag of ground coffee (£2.85) So for that investment I have fresh coffee at work every morning. So now I spend about £5.50 a month on coffee instead of approx £40!

I can beat the cafetiere.

Try the aeropress. £20 at Amazon. There's another review here.

If you're in London buy small amounts of proper freshly roasted & ground coffee from somewhere like Monmouth. If you're not try Hasbean.

One of the dirty secrets that the supermarkets & Starbucks et al don't want you to know is that their coffee has usually been sitting around for months so is far from fresh.

Try it - you really won't believe the difference (I sound like a salesman :o ).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure