Updated broadband connection - keep losing connection

Options
I'm hoping someone can help me out with this as I'm starting uni in a couple of weeks and need my internet connection :(

Since virgin upgraded our connection to 2mb, we have been getting kicked off in the evening. Says no dial tone detected and the troubleshooter that came with the modem says prob is with ISP. This does not happen during the day.

I have rang helpline twice.

1st time I was told to make sure the telephone extension line was not the problem - it isn't - we've connected straight into bt box and also changed the wire so it is actually wired in rather than an extension plug - no difference.

2nd call I was told the problem must be with my computer and I should turn my firewall off!!! I use sygate free edition. He also said the security settings for the conncetion should be on typical but the computer keeps putting it back to advanced - what is the difference?

Failing that, he said it must be software we have on the computer but we had no problem whatsoever before the upgrade.

We have a network connection set up, using a wire and the internet connection is shared but have not had the two computers connected for the last couple of weeks so that can't be the problem either.

Operating system is xp and I also use avg free, spybot, spyware blaster, a2 squared and cookiewall.

Can anyone help?

tia
Helen :)

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,305 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    what modem is it ??
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • bestpud
    bestpud Posts: 11,048 Forumite
    Options
    It's a speedtouch 330

• Browntoa
    Options
    you could try updating your modem drivers

http://www.speedtouch.com/supuser.htm
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • coolagarry
    coolagarry Posts: 1,261 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I also have a speedtouch and since upgrading I sometimes have difficulty in connecting and get the message 'no dial tone'. When it happens i find that the light on the modem marked adsl flashes on and off.

I have been told by my isp that this indicates a problem with the bt line and if I wait until it becomes solid green then I can re-connect.

I find that this works and usually the flashing period is not for long... hope this helps
    I'm Glad to be here... At my age I'm glad to be anywhere!!
    I'm not losing my hair... I'm getting more head!!
  • bestpud
    Options
    Thats exactly what happens to us but the light doesn't always stop flashing.

Did you try updating the driver as Browntoa suggested?

Browntoa - I've just looked at the speedtouch site but I'm a bit unsure of what to do. Is it just a simple case of running the download or do I need to do anything first?

thanks
    Helen
  • Browntoa
    Options
    before you do this i have found this

After writing my last I looked around some other forums and some suggested it was a SNR/Attenuation issue so I had a small play around with the settings in the hidden DSL Debug menu (start DSL status then CTRL F1) and changed the following:

[XCVR Config]
    Tx Power Attenuation - (to) 10 dB

When applied and restarted my SNR went up to 25.5 from 18.5 and the connection has now stayed on past 5 mins for the first time in over 2 weeks. 15 mins now and counting.

Double click on the DSL modem icon (two green arrows) in the status bar.
    When the Modem control panel pops up click the status button and you should have the small DSL Modem panel displayed.
    Now press CTRL and F1 and a new menu will appear, the DSL debug menu.
    Click on DSL link and another panel will spring up. You will see your SNR margin displayed at the bottom of this (you are only really interested in the local figures).
    Now click on XCVR Config and another panel will appear adjust Tx Power attenuation and then save the new setting.
    Press Restart on the debug menu and your modem will reset and when reconnected your new SNR figures will display in the DSL link panel.
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • bestpud
    Options
    Browntoa - I can't seem to get the DSL debug menu :(

When I click speedtouch icon in system tray - no arrows - I get a box showing performance or diagnostics. Ctrl and F1 opens up windows help but couldn't find anything relevant.

Also tried right clicking icon but no different.

Any suggestions?

thanks for helping
    Helen
  • Browntoa
    Options
    not actually tried this mself so i don't know...

if you put your phone number in any of the broadband suppliers web sites does it say you can get 2meg ??

http://www.bt.com/btcom_redirectLink.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0843582962.1126376612@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccchaddfjfhjhmecflgcefkdffndfkk.0&action=redirectLink&targetLinkID=BB_Sales_Entry_URL

for example my mums says (picked hers as she lives miles form the exchange )

Our initial test on your line indicates that you may be able to get Broadband from BT with speeds up to 1Mb, which is up to 20 times faster than dial-up. At the moment, your telephone line is unable to support our 2Mb speed broadband package. Also, due to the length of your line, an engineer visit may be required to set up your broadband service.
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • bestpud
    Options
    They tested the line while I was on the helpline and said it could support 2mb so I assume it is ok but will try the link now.

• bestpud
    Options
    Yep we should be able to use a 2mb connection, according to the checker

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income