moneymabels debt free by 2009 challenge

in Debt Free Diaries
4.1K replies 66.5K views
moneymabelmoneymabel Forumite
7.9K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭✭✭
As you can see from my sig I have a relatively small debt compared to many on here, I started my own diary and challenged myself to pay it off by 2009, I had a few people reply that were in the same / similar amount of debt as myself and one suggested a new challenge thread so here it is! All welcome no matter how big or small your debt as long as you want to be debt free when the new year starts ! Hope some of you want to join me coz else I'll get lonely!

List of challengees ( if thats a word?!!)
1) moneymabel. 17)aussieonabudget
2) rosyc. 18) bluejeans
3) thepinklady
4)shopaholic2008
5) jenna
6) amy
7) jenjade
8) little monster
9) foster77
10) gemsy62
11) kitkat84
12) missrich
13) lornajack
14)nichelette
15) tattycath
16) tubby1987

Replies

• irishgal_3irishgal_3 Forumite
    124 Posts
    Hi moneymabel,

Good luck with your challenge, hope you get lots of people to join...come on dont be scared!!!

I'd join only for I'm Debt Free at the moment, but just hooked to this site to keep me on the straight and narrow!! But then again I'm planning on going back to college (if they'll take me) so that could very well change!!

Good Luck!
    Irishgal

Dublin university contains the cream of Ireland: Rich and thick. Samuel Beckett
  • moneymabelmoneymabel Forumite
    7.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks irishgal ,
    Good luck with your college aplication, hopefully it won't put you to much back in debt. Hoping some people will come and join me soon !
  • rosyc_2rosyc_2 Forumite
    70 Posts
    Hi Mabel, would like to join your challenge as am still struggling with the same amount of debt as you and would like to see it cleared. Not sure if I will be able to do it, but would be nice to have some company on the journey! Hopefully we can keep each other in check, am trying to curb a terrible overspending habit at the moment. Maybe we could even be in credit by then!
    Loan1: £9990 Loan 2: £1800 C card: £2850 (0%)
    Total debt: £14640
    Total savings: £11327
    Total: -£3313
    7.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    woo-hoo!and we are off! Welcome rosyc, maybe we will do it, maybe not but we will be better off by 2009 either way. will be good to have someone to keep an eye on my spending and I will try to be as supportive as poss.
    7.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Forgot to say, I am the queen of compulsive spending ( am using my iPhone to post this message- say no more!) that was my last stupid spend and I'll be paying for it for the next eighteen months of the contract. so, no more dumb spending until 2009 when we can do it with cash we actually own. Its only 8 months!
    Right so how are we going to acheive this big challenge ? Quidco is highly recommended if you are not already signed up. I have over £200 coming from there in the next few months. If your credit rating is good then apply for a couple of credit cards through there for the cashback ( just dont forget to cut them up !!!!!) also 2 online savings accounts on there that you can open with £1 and give £20 cashback each.
    Have got a few bits to list on ebay after my comp is fixed on tues but am coming to the end of my sellable stuff now .so its a start but any other ideas welcome.
    70 Posts
    Hi mabel, am already on quidco, done the bingo, credit cards etc, am due £300 already, re compulsive spending I have a room here which looks like Aladdin's cave. The problem was, before my lightbulb moment I was so deeply in debt I just kept buying things as I thought it hardly mattered if debts got a bit worse, as they were huge anyway! Have you thought of getting a second job? It is very tiring but has made good inroads into my debt.
    7.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    thought I might be preaching to the converted!! Looks like we will be doing the old fashioned art of working more hours to pay off debt then! Is there any of your aladins cave you could ebay? I work part- time and also have my own business making wedding jewellery so can't really fit in anything else, have worked my way back up from not working at all due to depression to my current hours and don't want to push myself anymore at the mo, feels sometimes like all I do is push myself to do more and more things . Also have just got a new puppy ( funnily enough called rosie! ) so can't leave her alone any longer, convenient excuse ? Hmmm perhaps... Discuss LOL
    7.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    decided today that I really needed ( yes needed not wanted) a new pair of trainers as my only pair have a hole in one toe. Instead of popping into town and spending £30/40 as I would have pre lbm I had a look on ebay, I won an auction for a pair of kswiss trainers which had only been worn once (look immaculate in the pics) for £8.68 including postage yay! Trouble is I am so into my dfw status at the mo I am feeling annoyed that I had to spend anything at all ! Still alternative is barefoot (ouch ) or shoplifting (illegal... Except think how much money I couldnt spend if I was in prison.... LOL )
    70 Posts
    Hi, well done re trainers you lucky thing, am v jealous re puppy, I would love to get a dog but spend so much time working I think it would be unfair to get one at the moment, it's one of the things I have promised myself when I can finally manage with just one job. I have loads of things I could ebay but not very technically minded and busy with work at the moment, but it's certainly something I will look into if ican get someone to help me. Am having a low spend day today, don't think I will ever manage a no spend one, just bread and milk today.
    7.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    don't be jealous- she has been a right pain in the butt all day! Gone to sleep now tho thank goodness. Bless her :-)
    congrats on your low spend day , just bread and milk is great willpower- I find it v difficult to go to a shop and just buy essentials.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides