Marriage and living apart?

Options
13»

Comments

• robnye
    robnye Posts: 5,411 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Cheers vic!! Having 3 crappy marriages tends to mature you - RAFLMAO!!! Getting my priorities straight this time!!!! Hence waiting until kids are all growed up before we settle down together first as well.

so if your youngest is 7, youve got at least 9 years or more to wait.........
    what if you dont like each other once you get married..... :eek: :rotfl:
    smile --- it makes people wonder what you are up to.... ;) :cool:
  • elisebutt65
    elisebutt65 Posts: 3,854 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    robnye wrote: »
    so if your youngest is 7, youve got at least 9 years or more to wait.........
    what if you dont like each other once you get married..... :eek: :rotfl:

Well we've certainly had enough time to find that out!!!! We have been away on holidays together - the longest was for a couple of weeks and we still didn't rip each others heads off - not even when I got us lost - frequently!!!! Or when he started driving on the wrong side of the road in Carmel:eek::eek::eek:
    Noli nothis permittere te terere
    Bad Mothers Club Member No.665
    [STRIKE]Student MoneySaving Club member 026![/STRIKE] Teacher now and still Moneysaving:D

• robnye
    robnye Posts: 5,411 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well we've certainly had enough time to find that out!!!! We have been away on holidays together - the longest was for a couple of weeks and we still didn't rip each others heads off - not even when I got us lost - frequently!!!! Or when he started driving on the wrong side of the road in Carmel:eek::eek::eek:

sonds familiar.... and ive been married 20 years..... :rotfl: :D
    smile --- it makes people wonder what you are up to.... ;) :cool:
  • haylibo
    haylibo Posts: 1,004 Forumite
    Options
    WTH??? He should support me??? What era of the middle ages do you come from????

Marriage is a legal partnership so that monies coming in become community property. For any claims you would have to declare your husband's income regardless of whether you live together.
  • pandas66
    pandas66 Posts: 18,811 Forumite
    Options
    nearlyrich wrote: »
    You can name who you like as your next of kin with responsibility for medical decisions.
    I was named on a pension policy as beneficary in the event of death and was unmarried.

I was the named NOK in an unmarried partnership as the beneficary in the will. This will was quite specific though as his exwife had stated numerous times she was beneficary as he had never changed his will after his divorce. The guy I was seeing sort out Legal advice to clarify and to name his children as main beneficaries but I was to recieve certain parts of his estate.

:eek: quite what he meant now I don't know.
    Panda xx

:Tg :jo:Dn ;)e:Dn;)o:jw :T :eek:

missing kipper No 2.....:cool:
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,174 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd get your bf to double check with HR what his 'death in service' benefit says, before you make a decision whether to marry after 2010 or to leave things the way you are.
  • softwaremad
    softwaremad Posts: 154 Forumite
    Options
    i cant believe some of the comments from others i have just read on here. as far as im concerned i am much worse off financially since getting wed! i lost all my independance & having to go cap in hand for money from my husband was totally degrading after being self sufficient for so long. as for university when you are married if your husband earns over a certain amount you have to pay for all your courses which is hard when you are trying to get yourself a career all of your very own.

dont get me wrong i dont condemn fraud in any way but at least this person is covering all of the bases and hoorah for trying to do something with her life instead of staying in the benefits system. over the years i have met so many people who are born on the dole so die on the dole its really refreshing to see people getting out there and trying to better themselves whilst setting fab examples for their kids they also get a gold badge for fighting out of the money pit that parenting seems to get us into!

well done hope you sort out the best solution for you good luck with the degree (best thing i ever did) and good luck with marriage if you go down that route.

i love my independance so fight for yours too lol
  • Almo
    Almo Posts: 631 Forumite
    Options
    dont get me wrong i dont condemn fraud in any way but at least this person is covering all of the bases

Do you mean you don't condone fraud?
  • LillyJ
    LillyJ Posts: 1,732 Forumite
    Options
    In terms of medical problems, there is no reason to be married for this, he just nominates you NOK.

In the instance where he (god forbid) was unable to do this, then hospitals don't go round asking for marriage certificates, a long term partner has the same rights as a husband or wife. In fact there are no "rights" you just express your wishes and point of view and the hospital decide whether to act on them or not. So you could be ignored anyway if you were married.

In the UK there is no "proxy consent" for an adult, ie you cannot consent or refuse consent for any one over the age of 18 regardless of your relationship to them.
  • Timmne
    Timmne Posts: 2,555 Forumite
    Options
    Almo wrote: »
    dont get me wrong i dont condemn fraud in any way but at least this person is covering all of the bases

Do you mean you don't condone fraud?

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family