Would you tell your neighbours if you were putting a new fence?*update*

Options
As it says above...:p

Last friday we saw building contractors arriving next door, delivering a large quantity of fence posts. OH at some point asked the guys what they were doing and they said they are replacing the entire perimeter fence....

These neighbours have been there over a year now. They are very very wealthy. Our boys occasionnally play football together and my son or their just jumps over the short fence. Soon to stop apparently...

So unless you were not in talking terms with your neighbours, would you tell them?
I lost my job as a cricket commentator for saying “I don’t want to bore you with the details”.Milton Jones

Comments

• morganb
    morganb Posts: 1,762 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Yes, I would. I tell our neighbours about all work in the garden, e.g. if trees need lopping etc. I just think it's polite and it's nice for them to know why there are people working in our garden.
    That's Numberwang!
  • SWMBO
    SWMBO Posts: 155 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Reminds me of when our neighbour replaced a fence without mentioning it & our hens ended up in his flower beds! :rotfl:
  • Mado
    Mado Posts: 21,776 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    For some reason they have gone security mad in the last few months.
    New electric gate with CCTV cameras which is a first in our quiet village.
    Didn't tell inform us on that either.
    I lost my job as a cricket commentator for saying “I don’t want to bore you with the details”.Milton Jones
  • Paparika
    Paparika Posts: 2,476 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    legally they don't have to do they, do you need to know everythng they are doing

(don't mean that to be rude)
    For some reason they have gone security mad in the last few months.
    New electric gate with CCTV cameras which is a first in our quiet village.
    Didn't tell inform us on that either.

did they need to tell you for boundary reasons?

perhaps they have one of those outside oil things and seeing there is an increase on these being broken into and the oil being stolen, perhaps they just want to protect their property.

if you think the fence went up because of your son, ask them, but make it clear to them that you don't want to upset them if thats the case, apologise for your son doing it.
    Life is about give and take, if you can't give why should you take?
  • JF77
    JF77 Posts: 303 Forumite
    Options
    Maybe they just want a bit of privacy. We added extra fence panels to the gaps on the existing fence as we just wanted some quiet time in the garden without having to look at the neighbours. We never told them we were doing it. If I replaced the whole fence I would probably let them know I was doing out out of courtesy but I would not be asking for there permission as it is an improvement after all.
    Excited for Florida - May 2012 :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My last neighbour took down his garage without a word. I was at home and he came onto my land, lifted up my bin store lid and declared to his helper "it's not used" - don't know how he could tell that as it wasn't bin night. My bin store had been built against his garage by the previous owner of my house, before my neighbour moved in. He then demolished his garage, leaving my bin store with 3 sides. All while standing on my land. I didn't care, but that didn't matter to him.

He then proceeded to dig big holes for cement half while standing on his land and half on mine. He then put up a big fence. Still not a word to me.

I didn't expect to be told, it's his business. I didn't mind him standing on my land to do it, he didn't harm anything/there was nothing to harm or I'd have been miffed.

I was a bit annoyed at the bin store losing its back, although it was built up against his garage, so fair do's.

What people do on their private land is entirely up to them. While you might be friendly with them that is no reason why they need to divulge the minutae of their lives with you or enter into any discussion about it whatsoever.
  • *Louise*
    *Louise* Posts: 9,197 Forumite
    Options
    I would tell them if it was the joining boundary that was affected.
    Cross Stitch Cafe member No. 3
    2012 170-194 2013 195-207.Hello Kitty ballerina 208.AVA 209.OLIVIA 210.ELLA 211.CARLA 212.LOUISE 213.CHARLEY 214.Mother & Child 215.Stop Faffing Completed 2014 216.Stitchers Sampler. 217.Let Them Be Small 218.Keep Calm 219. Ups and downs 220. Annniversary piece 221. 2x Teachers gifts 222. Peacock 223. Tooth Fairy 224. Beth Birth pic 225. Circe the Sorceress Cards x 24
  • Paparika
    Paparika Posts: 2,476 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    My last neighbour took down his garage without a word. I was at home and he came onto my land, lifted up my bin store lid and declared to his helper "it's not used" - don't know how he could tell that as it wasn't bin night. My bin store had been built against his garage by the previous owner of my house, before my neighbour moved in. He then demolished his garage, leaving my bin store with 3 sides. All while standing on my land. I didn't care, but that didn't matter to him.

He then proceeded to dig big holes for cement half while standing on his land and half on mine. He then put up a big fence. Still not a word to me.

I didn't expect to be told, it's his business. I didn't mind him standing on my land to do it, he didn't harm anything/there was nothing to harm or I'd have been miffed.

I was a bit annoyed at the bin store losing its back, although it was built up against his garage, so fair do's.

What people do on their private land is entirely up to them. While you might be friendly with them that is no reason why they need to divulge the minutae of their lives with you or enter into any discussion about it whatsoever.

This is a prime example of letting your neighbor know and ask is it ok to step onto your land.

my mate is having major work done to the outside of his house, and garden, he went and told his neighbour, who then said, if he needed to get things to his garden he could go into the neighbours garden.
    Life is about give and take, if you can't give why should you take?
  • iieee
    iieee Posts: 1,194 Forumite
    Options
    Yes I would. We're planning to replace our fence shortly and as there is a chance of their plants (if they have any there - I don't know!) being damaged when it is put in I would definitely want to warn them and discuss it. Also, it's going to be a higher fence than the current one so we want to check they don't mind possibly losing a bit of light.
    :www: :: MFi3 ::
    Original mortgage free date ~ January 2030 :sad:
    Current mortgage free date ~ July 2028
    :tongue:
  • Lillibet_2
    Lillibet_2 Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yes, it's common courtsey. If not on speaking terms I would pop a note through their door. That said, it's not a legal requirement unless they need to use your land for access, or unless there is an undefiend boundry etc, but I think it would be pretty rude to carry out this type of work without a word.
    The additional security etc suggessts they may have had some sort of bad experience, maybe not burglary but a bully at school, threats, even a stalker? That could be why they don't want to make a fuss or draw any additional attention to what they are doing, so that they don't have to answer akward questions!
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure