Barclays Tax Haven ISA: Have you opened one?

Options

Comments

• claremiles
    Options
    I opened the Tax Haven ISA to deposit full amount for 2007/08 online on 30th March. Received confirmation email but nothing since.

Have been trying to deposit £3,600 for 2008/09, but not been able to as ISA has not gone live yet. In the meantime it has been sitting in my current account.

The Barclays branch staff have promised that they will backdate interest on this money to the day I first tried to deposit it (6th April), and I asked them to make a record of my attempt to deposit on my account as proof.

Fingers crossed that they honour their (verbal) promise.

I'm amazed that they didn't plan for the extra work at this time of year.

(This is my first post! :T )
  • Concretecow
    Options
    Lokolo wrote: »
    Debit card, and transfer the cash where?

Cash, if it got lost then you would be extremely angry and wouldn't be able to do anything, and Barclays wouldn't know where it was either, they'd then have to pay you back (and if its £3600 cash... thats quite a lot) and losing out on a lot of money!

Transfered into a holding account for the transaction. It isn't difficult.

I have had to dig out my cheque book, and sign the cheque. Very ancient. Not only that, all the paperwork could have been entered on-line and then with an approproiate reference number, retrieved, printed and signed. As it was, it took nearly two hours to sign off the ISA's at my local branch the hard way with a full body search of where I lived and what I did etc.

And that was the 2nd attempt to open the ISA's, after the 1st failed due to computer system problems.

Yesterday, got phone call from, Barclays (so they said) asking me was I happy with the process, then the caller had computer system problems, went to transfer me to a collegue, and phone went dead. What a shower of incompetants.

Glad I use Nationwide. Also the added value with Nationwide, they provide automagic synchronisation for Microsoft Money, Yippee!!

Just checked, cheque still not cashed after 9 days.

For a better banking experience, look here...
    http://www.nationwide.co.uk/internet_banking/support/microsoft_money.htm

regards,
  • miss_60
    miss_60 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    I opened my account in early April and received a letter straight away confirming that I had opened my ISA. This is probably because I already bank with Barclays. I've heard nothing from them since!!

I called last week and spoke to an adviser and was told that there is a back log due to the massive interest (from the public) they received in the account.......what a crap administrative team Barclays must have!. They must have known that a lot of people were going to open up an account, so why didn't Barclays ensure they could cope with demand?....IDIOTS!
  • sueT_3
    Options
    Same problem as others - applied online the week before the start of the new tax year, and transferred the money into my current account ready for them to transfer to the ISA. I did get confirmation of my application by post which said it may take a while due to the demand of the product. Rang Barclays last week who said my application had been approved and should be open shortly - and that they will backdate the interest. Not heard anymore - and the money is still sitting in my current account!
  • vixarooni
    vixarooni Posts: 4,376 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My boyfriend went into the local branch after using this website and finding out Barclays offered the best rate.

He had to go back again as he needed an appointment to open one so he did. He opened one and they gave him a card with a pin? By mistake he told his employer the wrong details that his wages should go into and it ended up going into his "isa" It was when he went into the bank that they told him he doesnt have an isa, there is a 6 week wait for it to be opened!

I was soo annoyed because when he opened it nothing was mentioned about the time delay on the Isa becoming official.

Im finding Barclays really poor at the mo.
  • BruceyBonus
    BruceyBonus Posts: 1,142 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I applied in branch a month before the tax year ended. Barclays managed to muck up my application twice. I was left with no ISA for the 07/08 tax year. I have now followed this up with a formal complaint to Barclays. Awaiting their response.
  • SaverSarah_2
    Options
    We're not customers of Barclays so we had to apply via our local branch. We were happy to both invest our full allowance (£7,200 in total) but the stupid branch wouldn't let us invest without having a meeting with their financial adviser, so we didn't bother. How nuts are they?
  • Sam_84
    Sam_84 Posts: 69 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My partner and I opened Tax Haven accounts with Barclays.

The ack letter I received said that I'd told them I was a Crown employee. No, I didn't.

For my partner, the ack letter from Glasgow didn't spell the names correctly, even though we sat with the man in the branch as he typed it and the confirmation he gave us did have the right spelling.

By being so poor at accurately capturing and processing the information they ask for at the beginning, they're just making more work for themselves and gumming up the system even further. You'd have think they'd have learned from last year's fiasco.
  • jmgood
    Options
    We both went to our local Barclays branch on the 5th April and filled in the forms to open the ISA account, but the cheques still have not been cashed as of 30th April, so we have £7200 in the bank earning a low 3% interest until they collect the money!
  • nicola0312
    Options
    Applied for ISA March 31st 2008, for the tax year 2007-08. Didnt hear anything for a while so contacted them, told they had recieved a high volume of applications and it was taking a little longer to process applications. Finally recieved confirmation my account has been opened, but dated 21st April 2008! Does this mean I lost my tax free allowance for the last tax year??
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport