We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

how to make crumble

1…2526283031…39

Comments

  • another one who hates the mixing of it! i also put oats through it as well ....part time health freak here!!:p
  • CCP
    CCP Posts: 5,062 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Now there's a nice bit of timing - I was going to post exactly the same question as my last attempt at crumble ended up more like cement! I'll try the 4/4/8 ratio and I should at least end up with something I can eat this time - thanks!
    Back after a very long break!
  • jack92
    jack92 Posts: 244 Forumite
    Thanks everyone. I cobbled it together using a combination of everyone's suggestions. I used (roughly) 8oz flour/oats combo (majority flour), 4oz sunflower marge, 4oz sugar. I blitzed it in the food processor and the mixture tasted gorgeous :) My blackberry and apple crumble is in the oven now and smelling fab.

    Nicola
    x
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Can you please Email me a piece.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

    Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • skiTTish
    skiTTish Posts: 1,385 Forumite
    I find if you smoth it down it sets like concrete.
    If you just shake it loosely ontop its fine :)
  • mrbadexample
    mrbadexample Posts: 10,805 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Don't put oats in it. I did that once, and they just sucked all the juice out of the filling. Spoiled it a bit. :(
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
  • jack92
    jack92 Posts: 244 Forumite
    SailorSam wrote: »
    Can you please Email me a piece.

    :rotfl:for a moment there I thought you were asking me to email you a piccie of it, and wondered why on earth you'd want a photo of a pudding. :rotfl:

    I can email you a piece, although it might make the pc a bit sticky!
  • CCP
    CCP Posts: 5,062 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    jack92 wrote: »

    I can email you a piece, although it might make the pc a bit sticky!

    I'd be careful making offers like that - everyone will want a piece then there won't be any left for you!

    And thanks for the tip, skiTTish - that's probably where I went wrong last time, I think. I'll make sure I don't do that again when I make mine tomorrow.
    Back after a very long break!
  • Jasper27_2
    Jasper27_2 Posts: 236 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    I replace part of flour with ground almonds sometimes, especially nice with cherries.
  • Hi jack92 iused your recipe looks really good used almonds and plums , switched off oven and would you believe it the outer glass door shattered into thousands of tiny pieces is oven still ok to use?
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.