Have free bus pass, want to travel.

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    traveline cymru have such a service. You just put in your start point and destination. Fantastic but we are restricted to Wales. Good job it is such a beautiful country
  • LesD
    LesD Posts: 2,111 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Does anyone have a foolproof way of defining a 'coach'?

Our local (West Midlands) travel office couldn't! Best they could suggest was it would be a 'coach' if you had to book it!!!!!

The obvious starting point is National Express Coaches. But, of course, NE run buses too!

I assume all 'Green Line' routes round London are 'coaches'? But there are many 'green' buses.
  • dwileflunker
    Options
    There are 3 very good routes available from Leeds to East Coast resorts in Yorkshire under the free bus pass scheme, they are:-

Route:

840: Leeds - Seacroft - Tadcaster - York - Malton - Thornton Dale - Whitby.

843: Leeds - Seacroft - Tadcaster - York - Malton - Scarborough.

845: Leeds - Seacroft - Tadcaster - York - Malton - Bridlington.

All 3 are run by Yorkshire Coastliner
    Age & Treachery Will Always Overcome Youth & Enthusiasm !!

Remember a Whisper is greater than a Shout!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Now that, Mr dwileflunker is exactly what I think I'm after. Straight forward and to the point, BUT, how I think it could be improved, is if you'd given 1) frequency and 2) an example of times as in departure/arrival. Thanks.
  • dwileflunker
    Options
    islandman wrote: »
    Now that, Mr dwileflunker is exactly what I think I'm after. Straight forward and to the point, BUT, how I think it could be improved, is if you'd given 1) frequency and 2) an example of times as in departure/arrival. Thanks.

It's a bit lengthy to list all the timetable but you can find it on this link. Although link says you can only go as far as Tadcaster free I contacted West Yorkshire Metro and they assured me you can now use it for the whole journey, but I haven't tested it yet.

http://www.yorkshirecoastliner.co.uk/times/index.asp

• System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    three and a quarter hours, Leeds-Whitby seems to be average.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,107 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I think there was a piece about this on Radio 4, in the last week ...

It might have been this chap. Or it could have been on You and Yours.

I know I caught snippets of it. I think he found it good to talk to other people waiting for the bus, to check he was getting the right one.

The other problem he had was one bus timetable said "Thursdays only" but the bus never came even though it was Thursday, so he phoned up and was told it didn't say Every Thursday, and it wasn't. You had to phone the bus company and check if this was one of the alternate Thursdays on which it was running. :rotfl:
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • dwileflunker
    Options
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    I think there was a piece about this on Radio 4, in the last week ...

It might have been this chap. Or it could have been on You and Yours.

I know I caught snippets of it. I think he found it good to talk to other people waiting for the bus, to check he was getting the right one.

The other problem he had was one bus timetable said "Thursdays only" but the bus never came even though it was Thursday, so he phoned up and was told it didn't say Every Thursday, and it wasn't. You had to phone the bus company and check if this was one of the alternate Thursdays on which it was running. :rotfl:

Which particular post were you refering to with regard to "this on Radio 4", and are we talking about any specific bus not being available every Thursday?

• donnajunkie
    donnajunkie Posts: 32,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    here are some long distance routes that i use.
    the x10 goes from middlesbrough to newcastle hourly from early morning to around 7 to 8pmish. it is very good and the whole route takes about 1hr 15mins. the operator is go north east.
    the 685 bus goes from newcastle to carlisle and again runs hourly. it takes about 2hrs. it is a joint service between arriva and stagecoach.
    there is a 554/555 service that links carlisle with lancaster. you have to change at keswick though. there are only about 3 buses between carlisle and keswick in a day but they are more frequent between keswick and lancaster. that is also run by stagecoach. there is a more regular bus between carlisle and penrith which is another way of getting to the lakes from the north. that bus is the 104. stagecoach runs most of the services in the lakes and there are many routes to great locations. you can visit buttermere,grasmere, ambleside, coniston, ullswater etc.
    timetables for all the above routes can be found on the particular companies websites.
    there is also a downloadable map of public transport routes in cumbria here. it is very good.

http://www.cumbria.gov.uk/roads-transport/publictransport/busserv/busservmap.asp
  • LimeLight
    LimeLight Posts: 8,038 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There's a bus from manchester to Nottingham.
    just passing through.... Nothing to see....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure