PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Dried beans etc vs tinned

Options

Comments

• stilernin
    stilernin Posts: 1,217 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry, but I can't find the thread where we were discussing this, but.................

with nothing better to do, I've just opened and counted the contents of a tin of butter beans :o result? 93.

Weight of 93 dried butter beans is 186g.... can't find the price of these though.

Who is going to have the honour of being first to do the maths?

Ready, Steady, ......
  • Stephen_Leak
    Options
    I think we need some more numbers. All I can tell you from the above data is that the average weight of a dried butter bean is 2 grams. I also think that both of us need to get out more.

PS. A whole new meaning to the phrase, "bean counter".
    The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in my life. :)
  • stilernin
    Options
    Here's number..... tin was 40p

Bristol's a bit far I'm afraid ;)
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    stilernin wrote: »
    Sorry, but I can't find the thread where we were discussing this, but...................

This one - dried beans vs tinned :confused:

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I checked on a tin of kid beans as I was wondering about this.. drained weight was approx 250g.

champys wrote: »
    Could I just bring this thread back? There is a lot of information here, but what I can't find is the equivalent weight of dry beans/pulses for a tin of cooked ones. Does anybody know? I tend to guess when using recipes specifying tinned, but usually end up on the generous side and have that awkward left over that is not quite enough for another meal.
    Also wondered whether the dry to cooked ratio is much different between beans/chick peas/lentils etc. Thanks in advance for any info!
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • angie_loves_veg
    Options
    21.5p per 100g ???

I wonder what sum you were after?!!
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi stilernin,

I've added your post to the original thread as it helps to keep all the replies together.

Pink
  • HariboJunkie
    HariboJunkie Posts: 7,740 Forumite
    Options
    stilernin wrote: »
    Sorry, but I can't find the thread where we were discussing this, but.................

with nothing better to do, I've just opened and counted the contents of a tin of butter beans :o result? 93.

Weight of 93 dried butter beans is 186g.... can't find the price of these though.

Who is going to have the honour of being first to do the maths?

Ready, Steady, ......

:think: :silenced: :confused: Have you ever heard the phrase... "Life's too short....." ? :whistle: :D
  • stilernin
    Options
    :think: :silenced: :confused: Have you ever heard the phrase... "Life's too short....." ? :whistle: :D

Yup.. and I agree, but I remembered that there had been a discussion about it as I was opening the tin :o... and couldn't resist.

couldn't find it on my 'subscribed threads' .. sorry Penelope Penguin and Pink-winged

Thanks angie loves veg, with that figure the dried ones would have cost 39.99 before the cost of cooking.

Right, I'm going back to having a life now.....:p
  • belfastgirl23
    Options
    For the lazy people, red kidney beans are only 14p per tin in Lidl :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure