We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

The Great "Cheapest Legal Music Downloads" Hunt.

Options

Comments

• A_LANCASHIRE_LAD_2
    Options
    Can i ask is
    http://www.kazza.com/

legal or not ? i used it a few years ago but eard it might not be ? anyone tell me ?
  • intel
    intel Posts: 6,404 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Dunno but it used to be full of spyware, I wouldnt touch it with a bargepole.
  • A_LANCASHIRE_LAD_2
    Options
    intel wrote:

Not a computer teckie can u explain pse re spyware ?
  • intel
    intel Posts: 6,404 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Spyware is a broad category of malicious software designed to intercept or take partial control of a computer's operation without the informed consent of that machine's owner or legitimate user. While the term taken literally suggests software that surreptitiously monitors the user, it has come to refer more broadly to software that subverts the computer's operation for the benefit of a third party.

Spyware differs from viruses and worms in that it does not usually self-replicate. Like many recent viruses, however, spyware is designed to exploit infected computers for commercial gain. Typical tactics furthering this goal include delivery of unsolicited pop-up advertisements; theft of personal information (including financial information such as credit card numbers); monitoring of Web-browsing activity for marketing purposes; or routing of HTTP requests to advertising sites.

As of 2005, spyware has become one of the pre-eminent security threats for computers running Microsoft Windows operating systems. Some malware on the Linux and Mac OS X platforms has behavior similar to Windows spyware, but to date has not become anywhere near as widespread

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spyware
  • A_LANCASHIRE_LAD_2
    Options
    Many thanks on that i guess id better stay clear !
  • cmallaby
    cmallaby Posts: 58 Forumite
    Options
    I would like to say as long as you're not making money on the music then copyright holders are going to turn a blind eye especially when you have paid for it so to speak
    Craig Mallaby
    Singer/Songwriter
    www.craigmallaby.co.uk
  • keithsav
    Options
    cmallaby wrote:
    I would like to say as long as you're not making money on the music then copyright holders are going to turn a blind eye especially when you have paid for it so to speak

Not sure that's good advice, the only you'll have paid for is technical support for the Kazaa p2p network.

See this article on the beeb website:-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/4438324.stm
  • Bert_Anderson
    Options
    intel wrote:

....I've just come back from F18 ;)

And working on the details for F28... :beer:
  • phatbhoy
    phatbhoy Posts: 96 Forumite
    Options
    koru wrote:
    Personally, I would be astonished if Which? did recommend them, and the lack of a response suggests that perhaps the person who posted cannot back up their suggestion.

Koru

It wasnt my post but I have seen the Which article and they definitley gave it the OK.
  • bluenose1
    bluenose1 Posts: 2,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    phatbhoy wrote:
    Koru

It wasnt my post but I have seen the Which article and they definitley gave it the OK.

Yes, I also read it.
    think it was in the November issue of the Which magazine. Based on their recommendation I have started using it.
    Regards
    Anne
    Money SPENDING Expert

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills