Fight back against over-priced cosmetics! Post your cheap but outstanding discoveries

Options

Comments

• treliac
    treliac Posts: 4,524 Forumite
    Options
    I cannot find Pond's Regener-Activ day treatment anywhere in the shops now. Boots don't do that range any more it seems. I posted the question of where to find it and got no replies at all :( So now I've given up. I may try and order it online some time.

For now I've been looking for another cheap day cream that's got a good level of retinol in it (think you check this by how high up in the list of ingredients it is placed). I won't pay the ridiculous prices of some of the so called premium skin creams. Aldi and Lidl products are good for night but their day creams don't have a minimum of 15 spf stated on them.

I have just bought some Tesco Skin Wisdom 'Ultimate Lift Day Cream' with spf 15 to try. It's not so light in texture as the Ponds but I shall give it a while to see the results. It's also got price in its favour.

Has anyone tried this or got any other recommendations?

Thanks.

P.S. harryharp - I've got some of the Aldi Collagen Wrinkle Filler and am trying that too.
  • Unity
    Unity Posts: 1,524 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was just wondering if anyone has tried Go-Natural, the All in One Cosmetic from the US? http://www.go-natural.net/index.html

I found the web-site yesterday and it appears to be a mineral based product, but the thing I'm finding hard to comprehend is that this one product in one shade is supposed to suit everyone - no matter what skin colour. It is also supposed to do the job of up to eight other products including foundation; blusher; eye shadow; eye liner; brow colour etc. etc. :rolleyes:

In addition prices start at $39.95 plus postage and packing of around $14 (standard), so I am wondering if I will have to pay any additional tax or duty to HM Customs in order to have this delivered? I recently had to pay this excess for some nutritional supplements :eek: and wonder if cosmetics are included? I remember I didn't have to pay any extra when I first got my Bare Escentuals kit from the US, but that was a few years ago.

Thanks for any info.
    Some people hear voices, some see invisible people. Others have no imagination whatsoever :D
  • Unity
    Options
    treliac wrote: »
    I cannot find Pond's Regener-Activ day treatment anywhere in the shops now. Boots don't do that range any more it seems. I posted the question of where to find it and got no replies at all :( So now I've given up. I may try and order it online some time.

For now I've been looking for another cheap day cream that's got a good level of retinol in it (think you check this by how high up in the list of ingredients it is placed). I won't pay the ridiculous prices of some of the so called premium skin creams. Aldi and Lidl products are good for night but their day creams don't have a minimum of 15 spf stated on them.

I have just bought some Tesco Skin Wisdom 'Ultimate Lift Day Cream' with spf 15 to try. It's not so light in texture as the Ponds but I shall give it a while to see the results. It's also got price in its favour.

Has anyone tried this or got any other recommendations?

Thanks.

P.S. harryharp - I've got some of the Aldi Collagen Wrinkle Filler and am trying that too.

You could try the contact link from this website http://www.pondsinstitute.co.uk/press/show/?id=5 asking for your nearest stockist.;)

I also noticed that it's available from Boots.com http://www.boots.com/shop/product_list_new_template.jsp?classificationid=1023466

Hope this helps
    Some people hear voices, some see invisible people. Others have no imagination whatsoever :D
  • faithless
    faithless Posts: 782 Forumite
    Options
    I was thinking I should probably start wearing some sort of sunscreen on my face now - I'm in my 20s - as they always say most of the damage is done around now and you pay for it later, but I can't really imagine putting it onm everyday, as it always seems to leave my skin greasy?

I notice some people have mentioned moisturisers with an SPF, but I don't tend to moisturise my face every day as find my T-zone is greasy.

Anyone got any suggestions?

TIA!
  • jessicamb
    jessicamb Posts: 10,446 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    faithless wrote: »
    I was thinking I should probably start wearing some sort of sunscreen on my face now - I'm in my 20s - as they always say most of the damage is done around now and you pay for it later, but I can't really imagine putting it onm everyday, as it always seems to leave my skin greasy?

I notice some people have mentioned moisturisers with an SPF, but I don't tend to moisturise my face every day as find my T-zone is greasy.

TIA!

A lot of the Olay ones have SPF 15 in and that has not seemed greasy for me in the past. Depending on the type you get they have special formulations for combination/oily skin anyway.

HTH
    The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese :cool:
  • SuziQ
    SuziQ Posts: 3,042 Forumite
    Options
    Apparently Models prefer i being renamed etc and will be going back on QVC under the name ybf-the hint is that there will be a relaunch and lots of special prices,mind you in true mse style I really don't 'need' anything lol!
    Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it!
  • yenners
    yenners Posts: 341 Forumite
    Options

TIA!

I use the clinique city block sunscreen -it's lightly tinted and non greasy. comes in spf 25 and 40
    Not buying clothes for a year - it's liberating!
  • Unity
    Options

TIA!

I use Sainsbury's Sun Protect Face SPF 50. It's less than £4, very light and non greasy and it does the job! Can't say fairer than that.:T Plus of course Sainsbury's sun protection came out very favourably in the recent report on sunscreens that live up to their SPF ratings too.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options

TIA!

Im using Botanicals Vital Day Cream from Avon. I have a greasy Tzone and this is really light and has a SPF of 20. So far no break outs

Oh and I got it on special offer - two for 6 quid :D
  • beautyscientist
    Options
    You have no idea how interesting I find this thread. I have had a hand in some of the formulations discussed so it makes fascinating, sometimes a bit painful, reading.

I thought I would share one fact with you all. L'Oreal spends 30% of its turnover on above the line advertising. The other big name brands must do much the same. When you buy a pot of cream from a company like that a big chunk of what you pay goes to fund flogging you the next one.

Just something to bear in mind.
    Student of the science of beauty
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family