We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Any suggestions for drying washing indoors

1…7172747677…126

Comments

  • sassyblue
    sassyblue Posts: 3,793 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Have you got a utility or conservatory? I have a hanging airer in the utility (about £13 from IKEA worth it's weight in gold!) and hang bits on there which dries within 24 hours. I also have a large airer in the conservatory - again clothes dry in 24 hours.

    l used my birthday and Christmas money for a condenser tumbler :p but use it sparingly - although l do like to finish towels in there just for 10-15 mins to keep them fluffy.


    Happy moneysaving all.
  • wannabe_sybil
    wannabe_sybil Posts: 2,845 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 20 May 2011 at 3:09PM
    The lovely drying day has started with rain, and I have two king sized blanket sized pieces of fleece material in the washer. Can I tumble dry them?

    Many thanks
    Ankh Morpork Sunshine Sanctuary for Sick Dragons - don't let my flame go out!
  • shellysue
    shellysue Posts: 359 Forumite
    I have done, but if you give them an extra spin in the WM they take very little time to dry if you have an indoor airer
    Sue
    Do I need to eat it :o
    Can I afford the calories:eek:
    have I checked for a lower calorie version:T
  • wannabe_sybil
    wannabe_sybil Posts: 2,845 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    shellysue wrote: »
    I have done, but if you give them an extra spin in the WM they take very little time to dry if you have an indoor airer

    Thank you. I would normally try to air them but I am a bit stuck for space as I am drying lots of washing now.

    Serves me right for believing the weather forecast!

    Edited to add - at least I don't have to water the garden this evening.
    Ankh Morpork Sunshine Sanctuary for Sick Dragons - don't let my flame go out!
  • squiggles
    squiggles Posts: 1,635 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Yes, you can tumble dry. I usually hang fleece blankets over the door to air dry overnight.
  • wannabe_sybil
    wannabe_sybil Posts: 2,845 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    squiggles wrote: »
    Yes, you can tumble dry. I usually hang fleece blankets over the door to air dry overnight.

    Thank you, that is a really good idea. I had never thought of doing that :o
    Ankh Morpork Sunshine Sanctuary for Sick Dragons - don't let my flame go out!
  • babyshoes
    babyshoes Posts: 1,771 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Just be a bit careful with doors - if the tops of yours are like the ones here when we moved in, they can get really manky and are impossible to clean - this leaves a nasty brownish stripe on the item. A wipe to get the worst off, followed by some wide tape does the job and makes them safe enough to dry towels / blankets etc on.
    Trust me - I'm NOT a doctor!
  • wannabe_sybil
    wannabe_sybil Posts: 2,845 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    I don't think I have dusted the tops of doors for years, but little bear slams them all anyway so I don't think much dust settles. However I have a weakness for scented candles which could leave a residue, and I never think to clean the top of the doors. :o:o:o:o

    I think it is about time I put a cloth over them anyway, and I can always give a proper clean if necessary.

    It is always thought provoking posting on here, thank you for all your help.
    Ankh Morpork Sunshine Sanctuary for Sick Dragons - don't let my flame go out!
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,999 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    I invested in a "Rotaire" rotary drier cover. Like a big umbrella for your washing line. WOrks a treat and i can hang washing out in all weathers and it dries. I have to admit I haven't used it in the winter yet.

    I do use my airing cupboard. Towels are at the back and the front 4 slats are used for laundry. I can finish about 20 items off in there. If i put them in wet then i get 10 in as i don't fold them. I have been doing this for about 5 years and there is no mould, mainly because it isn't air tight, it is opened once or twice a day for laundry or to fetch towels and the doors don't shut tight in any case. If the time comes that the tank goes (i.e. if or when we get a combi boiler) then i will probably put a very small radiator in there.
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • mulled_wine
    mulled_wine Posts: 322 Forumite
    We got 2 "radiator airers" which we've fastened on the hall wall above a rad. As we don't use the hall for anything other than the front door, lol we don't notice it.

    Shirts/tops/trousers go on hangers on it, maximises the space

    We have a concertina airer in DD's room that we use for towels/sheets etc.

    Mostly we leave the washing out unless it is absolutely hacking down.

    Very interested in the Rotaire though, may well invest!
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.