Argos "Delivery"

Options
Heres my little rant about Argos, sorry its kinda long but here we go. Quite a while ago now, I was browsing the Argos catalogue(as you do)and I was looking at there beds and saw one I liked, so when I was down town I ordered the bed, what straight away amazed me was once you pay you don’t work out a delivery time that’s convenient for you, you get told that Argos will phone you when its convenient for them and they will tell you when they will deliver. This straight away sounded weird and I wasn’t to sure about but anyway so I went home and carried on with my life. 2 weeks had passed and not a phone call so I was thinking at this point whats going on, ive paid for this bed and I haven’t got it yet! And haven’t heard a word from Argos and was left in the dark. So I phoned up the “customer service” and after about 40 minutes of waiting finally got through to a lovely young lady who was fairly helpful and left me with the impression everything was sorted and the bed would arrive now in a few days time between such and such a time. So I booked this particular day of work and waited about all day, and guess what no bed no delivery nothing!!, so yet again I phone up the “customer service” and demand to know what’s going on, this time I was told the bed was out of stock and that they phoned up the day before and told someone this and got a new delivery date with argos for the following week. Now you’ll have to beer with me on this one as this really took the p*ss, as I live alone and how could I or anyone take this phone call, or maybe its because I forgot?? Ill guess ill never really know who took the phone, maybe it’s one of lifes mystery’s, but anyway needless to say ive cancelled the bed and got my money back!!!! Oh yea and thank you Argos for wasting nearly 3 weeks of my time.

I have to laugh really because the overall impression/message that’s given across to me from these idiots is, once we’ve got your money we don’t care about the rest, why should I have to keep chasing these up? Where the “customer service”

In conclusion I would say that argos aren’t that bad with the stuff you can take home there and then, but stay well clear from there “delivery only” goods/bads.

End of rant

Comments

• Becles
    Becles Posts: 13,167 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I've still got a problem with Argos Direct.

I ordered a desk that was delivered on Aug 1st. However one of the side panels was broken so I couldn't build it. I called and was told they would have to collect the whole desk, and send a complete new one out. On the delivery date, the man turned up with paperwork to collect 1 box and no new desk. As the desk was in 2 boxes, he refused to take both boxes, and would only take one. I've had umpteen delivery dates to deliver the new desk, but they have never been kept.

18 days later I've still got half the original desk and no new desk :mad:

I can't telephone the department I need to speak to direct, and telephone messages left at customer services are not returned. I've used the e-mail system and sent 2 recorded delivery letters but none have been answered either.

I'm now going to write a "time is of the essence" letter and demand a desk or my money back within a week otherwise I'll take legal action to recover my money.

As a comparision, I bought new bedroom furniture from MFI 3 years ago. When I was building the chest of drawers, I realised I had two left side panels instead of a left and a right one. I phoned them up and told them of my problem. The lady was very apologetic and said they could send a replacement right panel out. It arrived by courier a couple of days later. If MFI can do it, why can't Argos? :confused:
    Here I go again on my own....
  • polar_low_2
    Options
    I've had good and bad experiences with Argos Direct. Two beds have been delivered quickly and in perfect condition however had a washing machine delivered last Saturday and noticed after the delivery men had left that it had a dent/scratch on the front. Also had not noticed at the time that the sealed packaging had been previously broken and then taped over. Anyway was not going to accept a brand new washing machine with a dent in the front and so phoned for a replacement. Also had similar problems with a long wait on their "customer service" phone line but managed to arrange delivery of a new washing machine for yesterday.

Delivery men turned up and proceeded to take the scratched washing machine away and while they were doing so, water started coming out from the bottom of the washing machine packaging. They looked accusingly at me as if we had already plumbed it in, which we denied and then the facts fell into place. This so called brand new washing machine had already been plumbed in at someone else’s house, had somehow received a large scratch to the front, been returned and repackaged and then delivered to us. Had a good check of the new washing machine and it seems fine but I hope that Argos do not try and pass off the dodgy washing machine on some other poor customer!
  • Corley
    Corley Posts: 61 Forumite
    Options
    no doubt they will, untill someone jsut cant be bothered with the hassle with new deliverys etc and will just accept a dented washing machine, then they will have got away with it!
  • Noozan
    Noozan Posts: 1,058 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I had a problem with Argos a while ago - I had ordered a whole load of stuff to be delivered, I was given a delivery date so I got my brother to sit in and wait for the delivery. About 3/4 of the stuff arrived as expected but no sign of the rest. No explantion from the delivery driver, who just shrugged his shoulders! My brother waited in for the rest of the day in case it was split into two deliveries (yeah, wishful thinking...)

Anyway, come 5pm, still no sign. I phoned them up the following day to ask where my goods were and was told they were due to arrive two weeks later; I was furious and told her so. They could have had the decency to let us know rather than keep us in the dark. I wrote a letter of complaint and sent it to the head office (can't remember the name of person I sent it to though) saying how dissappointed I was in their service, their lack of customer care, attitude of driver etc and I got a letter the follwoing week with £50 in gift vouchers.

So....complain to them! If they don't get told they are providing an unsatisfactory service, they don't get a chance to improve and redeem themselves.
    I have the mind of a criminal genius. I keep it in the freezer next to Mother....
  • Fluella
    Fluella Posts: 65 Forumite
    Options
    I've just sent a letter of complaint to argos regarding a fridge and freezer me and my bf have just purchased. We're recently moved into our first home so have bought several home delivery items only from them with no problem.

The customer service assistant rang to arrange a delivery time asked if we would be available on so and so date, I explained that both me and my bf would be at work that day (my bf can normally get a day off for deliveries but it just happened that he had a meeting on the date offered). I explained that we were receiving another delivery for them on the monday or there would be someone at home on the friday, giving them two days either side of the original date (weds). I was told she was not authorised to arrange another date and could I not leave somewhere secure open like my garage for them to leave the items in. I told her we didn't have a garage and it wouldn't be very secure if I left it open all day long! She then asked if I could possibly leave the keys with my neighbour so I explained we'd just moved in and didn't know any of our neighbours. Seemed to go round and round in circles of me explaining that we would be available any day that week except the weds and her telling me that she couldn't arrange another day even though she had rung me to check it was convenient!

Ended up with her telling me somebody from the depot would ring me direct to arrange a delivery date. No one got back to us, tried ringing customer services following the delivery of our other order, got put on hold and never returned to! My bf rang the tues am and got told our delivery date hadn't been cancelled and no notes had been made regarding our conversation the week before and it was to late to change the delivery date. We were then told they would try to deliver and if there was no one at home we would have a failed delivery and our items would be returned to the depot.

Sorry for the long rant!! We ended up excepting the original delivery date and our appliences turned up but not very well packaged, the compressors had no polystreyne around them and there is a scratch on the door of the freezer.

Think we'll only be purchasing items that we can collect in store from now on to make sure we collect them when convenient for us.

Sorry for the really long rant again!
    C1 = £643.17, C2= £60.51, C3 = £376.48, C4 = £331.58, C5 = £422.57
  • sooz
    sooz Posts: 4,560 Forumite
    Options
    pay peanuts and get monkeys.... :rotfl: ...and i do buy stuff from argos, but you know what to expect

anyone seen the jasper carrott sketch about the argos people who are in the warehouse that send stuff down the hatch, that you can't see...there is a reason....clawed hands....very very funny
  • tammy73
    tammy73 Posts: 34 Forumite
    Options
    i ordered a bed for my son from argos ages ago wasn't too bothered about the 3 week delay but that was only the beginning of the problems. when they called me with a delivery date i organised collection of my son's old bed (to be taken 4 days after the new bed would be delivered). On the delivery day i had a call from the lorry driver who reckoned our street was too narrow(it isn't but there you go) so he had to mis-deliver. I called Customer services the next day who told me they would rearrange delivery in a transit van, i mentioned the situation with my son's old bed and was told that as it was a mis-delivery that it would be given priority, a few days max. After 6 annoying phone calls, where i kept telling them my son's situation i.e sleeping on the floor and them promising to call me back and never doing it, i finally got them to confirm a delivery day(today). I even phoned them yesterday to confirm that the delivery was definately booked and that it would definately be a transit van, which they did confirm. You can guess what happened next, yes they sent another 7.5 tonne lorry who's driver also claimed our street was too narrow. So we have rearranged delivery for wed in a transit, when my son will have spent 14 days sleeping on the floor. I'm ready to call it quits but my son really wants this bed so i'm hoping they do the right thing on wed. I am contacting the chief executive and watchdog. :mad:
  • ekkygirl
    ekkygirl Posts: 514 Forumite
    Options
    I could fill this forum with tales of Argos.

I placed company order in store for delivery to clients address. Lovely Wee girl on till (Really) got a bit mixed up as she was new and put client down as customer (should have been my company) and delivery address as my office(should have been clients) Was unaware of this until 2 delivery guys tried to drop a washing machine od tumble drier off to receptionist, She explained that they needed to be delivered to address which was just along the road coincidently, Delivery driver told her to FXXK OXX he was not taking it anywhere else, She told him he could not leave it in reception so he took it back. Then the fiasco began I rang argos to point out their error and they would not speak to me only to the customer (my client) I told them I was the customer but they had made a mistake on the original order. They told me to get "customer" to ring and change delivery details or to write to them eventually went back to original girl on till whose manager had a brain and worked the oracle. Client waited in all day for delivery in empty 1 bed flat thought he heard letterbox rattle and went to investigate only to find a note saying delivery of washing machine was attempted but driver could get no reply, By the time client got trainers on delivery truck was disappearing round corner, At that moment I arrived, phoned cust svces and told them they said "Driver would not do that" I said he just did, phone and get him to come back She tried but he said no, I pointed out that his flat was up 2 flights of stairs and that seemed good enough reason for driver to pretend to try to deliver washing machine but she was not having it at all.
    Argos are good at some things shop girls/boys pleasant and its cheap but I would have a full time job just complaining about them If I got started. My company has massive account with them and I have to use them alot so I try to expect the worst. I feel sorry for the peeps on the phone as they can never get a supervisor to come and speak to irate customers but have to take all the flack for the probs
  • callansdad
    Options
    We've had a few problems with Argos' phenomenaly (spelling?) slow delivery too but funnily enough they have both worked out in our favour. The first one was about 3 years ago. DH ordered 2 x 3 drawer bedside units. We waited weeks and after a few long winded phone calls they were eventually delivered. We werent in a hurry for them so it was about a month before we decided to open them and set them up. To our amazement they turned out to be 2 x 3 drawer desks, from the same collection but twice the price of what we ordered. We kept the desks and said nothing.

About 6 months ago we moved into a new home and needed some cheap wardrobes and drawers. We ordered 1 wardrobe and 2 chests of drawers. Once again after a few days of staying in and awaiting delivery as they promised they hadnt arrived. A few more phone calls and we were told that someone would call us back with a date. That never happened. We finally squeezed another date out of them and the order finally arrived :j

However a month later i had been out and left the garage unlocked. When i got home there was a slip through the door saying that a delivery had been left there, at the time we had been badgering Woolworths over a playgym costing £400 for our sons birthday. They had promised that it would be here in 10 days and ended up waiting 6 weeks. I joyfully made my way to the garage thinking that it was a playgym but to my surprise Argos had left me another 2 chests of drawers!! :rotfl: :rotfl:

We left them unopened but after a couple of months we have them in proud display in the spare room :rotfl:

Cheers Argos!!
    A banker is someone who lends you an umbrella when the sun is shining, and who asks for it back when it start to rain.
  • meeps
    meeps Posts: 465 Forumite
    Options
    lol, I was just reading through this to see how big a mistake I have made ordering a fridge freezer from argos yesterday, when the phone went and they want to deliver on friday.......! very much hoping it comes as our current one has died!! :eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure