PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

whats the cheapest youve did it for inspire me!

Options

Comments

• Cornishpixie_2
    Options
    Hi, I used to find same problem hubby being the worst I will do sufficient shop then he will buy more, so now try and buy as I go along(well that's the plan, but he keeps toping up):rotfl: :rotfl: Maybe sit down with family and suggest you start having family meals ie the same meal, shepherds pie, last night we all had fish in batter from Asda and frozen peas. Also started making things like apple crumble and tortillas kids favourite.(fillings tend to be a choice of whatever I have got already in). Not sure what you could do about the stuff in cupboards that no one really likes. I have 4 hungry kids so know that someone may eventually eat it. Its finding a system that works for you.Good luck.:D
    Grocery challenge june £300/ £211-50.
    Grocery challenge july £300/£134-85.
  • meanmarie
    meanmarie Posts: 5,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    From my food budget ( which I find difficult to stick to all the time) I buy food, cleaning stuff, washing powder, toiletries but not crisps, cakes, biscuits or anything of that nature...maybe the odd small thing if there are going to be little ones in the house, but adults must buy their own treats...I make hobnobs once a week, when they are gone that's it for another week!

I also had the problem somebody else mentioned with OH, he buys things he fancies, like expensive bread, sirloin steak and chicken wings in sauce for breakfast (!) I do not re-imburse him...his choice, his money!

I appreciate that my situation is somewhat different to that of someone who has children, we are both retired and only have DD4 and her 5 year old son here most of the time, but I have a difficult enough time getting by so am not having it sabotaged by someone else's 'need' of things when there is already lots to eat

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • destiny_star2006
    Options
    tuesday tatie hash
    wednesday beef peices casserole carrots mushrooms onion
    thursday scampi salad chips
    friday chick burgers with salad potatoe wedges
    sat 2 10" pizzas
    sun mils
    mon stir fry beef get big tray
    thats wot im making this week probably wont be on exact days but thats the meals i bought then ovbiously i bought bread x3 bread buns and subway bread rolls for bait etc as i have dd packed lunch and hubbys pack lunch...i also bought the 5 tins of soup on offer from heinz for 2 quid as hubby and daughter love these and there nutritious...i bought washing powder erm...just trying to think now lol lots of fruit as daughter mainly has her 5 a day through these each diff item of fruit..lots of milk cereal pack of ham pack of garlic sausage, 5 for 150 sanwhich fillers egg mayo chicken and sweetcorn and the likes, all for bait daughters billy bear ham only meat she will eat in packed lunch...diluted pop fizzy pop and toilet roll bleach soap bubble bath cheapest of course butter eggs bacon ice cream for the cones in cupbaord stir fry mix large bag of potatoes for nearly 5 pound i think they were steak pies for bait pineapple slices for me craving im preggers lol and i think thats about it give or take a few items and yoghurts for daughters bait she will only eat the nemo yogs ive been everywhere to get cheaper and she just wont eat them and i need her to have at least one per day so if thats all she will eat thats all i can buy 99p for 4 whereas when she was little i bought asda sp yogs for 48 p for 6 but shes older now and in school and think theres a little comp going on with them on who has the best stuff rambling on now lol so thats about it oh and pine disinfectant which i buy once a month for 30p ish and i make my own cleaning product with it clean my floors cupboards and the likes by diluting with water and putting in an old spray bottle i used to spend 4 quid a week on cleaning products until i went os and used pine disinfectant dont care much for stardrops xxx thanks all xxx
    We Make A Living By What We Get. We Make A LIFE By What We GIVE:money:

show me a man with both feet on the ground and i'll show you a man who cant get his pants off.
  • moo2moo
    moo2moo Posts: 4,694 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    And breathe!

It doesn't sound too disasterous a shop! Jumping in with both feet first £5 for spuds sounds an awful lot. Especially since Asdas giant bag is £3.15 for 10kg. Available on line but my local Asda never seems to have them on the shelf.

If you like sliced meat in sandwiches it may work out cheaper to do a big roast and slice the excess for sandwiches rather than buy the pre-packed meats.

The 5 for £1.50 sandwich fillers are more than likely 95% mayonaise. You can make your own very easily tin of tuna 29p. 2 spoons of mayo 5p. Much more nutritious, make it go further by adding more mayo. Egg mayo being an egg or 2 (10p each) and more mayo. If your daughter likes fruit then you could try mashed banana and mayo / salad cream. Also grated cheese and mayo or chives or onion or pickle.

Stir fry mix???? Not convinced about this. Do you really mean you paid £1.97 for a bag of pre-chopped veg or did you mean you bought a bag of beansprouts 38p and some mixed peppers? Or worse still did you buy the SmartPrice variant so you can play hunt the pepper?

ps. BAIT? Do you dangle food in front of your OH to get him to perform? I'm having a thick day!

pps. Congrats on your pregnancy!

ppps. I know I sound like a complete b!tch but I mean well!
    Saving for a Spinning Wheel and other random splurges : £183.50
  • destiny_star2006
    Options
    thanks very much for this moo lmao @ bait i mean packed lunch will try the meat sideof things next week and yes i ment i paid 1.97 for a bag of pre chopped veg sorrrrrryyyy lol i bought the biggest bag avail in asda i normally buy the 1.18 bags but go through two a week so thought id get the big bag they do in the white heavy duty bags..i really should go to the veg shop as they do 4stone bags of taties for 4 quid but its getting there as oh works and i couldnt carry these on the bus really appreciate all your help moo ure a *
    We Make A Living By What We Get. We Make A LIFE By What We GIVE:money:

show me a man with both feet on the ground and i'll show you a man who cant get his pants off.
  • Buffy_the_Vampire_Bat
    Options
    moo2moo wrote: »

The 5 for £1.50 sandwich fillers are more than likely 95% mayonaise. You can make your own very easily tin of tuna 29p. 2 spoons of mayo 5p. Much more nutritious, make it go further by adding more mayo.

Stretch it even further with some defrosted SP sweetcorn for Tuna mayo sweetcorn sandwiches :)

How about turning that Asda boil in the bag rice into a HM Chinese style rice dish - add cooked rice to eggs that have been scrambled/omeletted (I don't CARE if omeletted is not a word, it frickin' is now :D), some frozen peas, other veg (carrots perhaps?) onion and garlic if you like it - sprinkle over some soy sauce, yum! Don't worry if like me you can't make a "normal" omelette, I cheat and bung it in the microwave until done and then mash it up a bit and chuck into the rice :rotfl:
    DFW no.554 - Proud to be dealing with my debts :T
    DAVID TENNANT CAN PROBE ME WITH HIS SONIC SCREWDRIVER ANYTIME...:A
    FLYING THE FLAG FOR THE CAMBRIDGE BOOTS TARTS :happyhear
  • mandy_moo_1
    mandy_moo_1 Posts: 1,201 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    moo2moo wrote: »
    Make a huge lasagne. Pasta sheets 50p, can of tomatoes for the sauce 25p, veg £1, mince meat £1, cheese, milk, butter and flour to make sauce 75p. Total spend £3.50. Chop up into 6 portions. Freeze individually. Cheaper than your frozen meals. It'll taste much better too!

been following this to get some new ideas for myself, as i've just joined the april GC and am trying to cut back myself

i'm just curious, how do you manage to freeze the lasagne in individual portions? do you mean you cook it in a big dish, THEN cut it up & freeze, cos mine would totally collapse cos of the sauce, or do you mean you make individual lasagnes in seperate dishes and then freeze them? if you do it this way, what sort of dishes do you cook them in? :confused:
  • moo2moo
    Options
    Do you have a friend / neighbour with a car that shops at the veg shop and could give you a lift? or buy a bag of spuds for you or persuade your other half to venture there? Me thinks you need to practice fluttering your eyelashes!

ps. I'm torturing my lot with toad in the hole as Mr. T has 1/2 price sausages at 49p for 8. They'll be sick of sausages by the end of the month as I've filled the freezer! Ok so thats an overstatement but theres a dozen packs in there. Tonights going to be a v. cheap night though as Mr. Moo has just had a wisdom tooth extracted unexpectedly!
  • misspenny
    misspenny Posts: 273 Forumite
    Options
    as a student i once bought loads of 5p packs of noodles grand total of £1 i however would not recomend this as a nutrionally balenced diet but yes there are places you can get 20 packs of noodles for a quid,
    twins on board
  • moo2moo
    Options
    By freezing in mini-portions I mean cook the entire thing as a huge dish like you would normally then cut into smaller portions and put in containers. If you do it when its cold it transfers across as a congealed blob without the sauce escaping. Tesco do picnic bowls at 4 for 80p and they microwave v. well. but are a ghastly colour. Equally its no major disaster when hubby leaves them at work. No one will borrow them because they are truly revoltingly turquoise this year. Piece of clingfilm cut to size on top of the food stops freezer burn and another over the top of the whole dish seems to do the trick. Remember to get them out of the freezer the night before to thaw before reheating.

If you have lots of small ovenable dishes I suppose you could cook them all as individual portions like you get served in a pub. I don't own that many little dishes!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport