PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Sneaky ways to save the pennies

Options

Comments

• Eenymeeny
    Eenymeeny Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Well, now I've learnt something about chickens, hope that they never get constipated :rotfl:
    Getting rid of slugs...I know some people don't agree to using slug pellets but I once heard Alan Titmarsh recommend sending slugs a valentine! Apparently that's about the time they start marauding around your plants. If you put deterrents out around that time you catch them before they get bigger (and breed!) I've done it for a few years and I'm sure that I have a lot less than I used to. (Remember to hide pellets under tiles or stones if you have pets):)
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My sneaky way...

In winter hubby suffers very dry hands with fingers that crack and bleed. Nothing seems to help. I'd read comfrey cream was good. I check out my local health store they've got comfrey cream but its a bit pricey at 15 euros for a tiny jar he'd probably finish in a few days (If I had more money I would probably buy it as its from a small local cottage industry, and I do like to try and support them) In the same shop they sold dried comfrey herb for about E2.50. I bought the herb, came home and watched on youtube how to make your own comfey infusion with olive oil. Hubby is now using it and says its working.

Ooh...can I have the link to this please?:D
  • shandyclover
    Options
    ceridwen wrote: »
    Ooh...can I have the link to this please?:D

This is the main one I used - it goes on a bit and I do find it a bit annoying but it's the basic idea. I watched more than one video - just did a search on youtube 'how to make comfrey oil'. I used dried comfrey bought from the healthfood store as I'm not confident enough to go rooting around the hedgerows identifying comfrey! Put it in a clean jar and then left it in the airing cuboard for 6 weeks. I also made cough syrup for my daughter who gets awful hacking coughs after a cold, using honey, onion and thyme and leaving them to macerate then straining it. Both have been very sucessful so I'm inspired to try a few more at some point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkMlXEXbJOc&feature=related
    No buying unnecessary toiletries 2014. Epiphany on 4/4/14 - went into shop to buy 2 items, walked out with 17!

• Unity
    Unity Posts: 1,524 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 24 April 2010 at 11:24AM
    Options
    fayjmck wrote: »
    I am loving all the chat on here at the mo

I've never used water to cook something and boil eggs - BUT

The boiled egg water (if boiled on their own) makes a cheap and easy feed for plants.

When you boil eggs - save the water.
    This water, when completely cooled, contains lots of minerals from the egg shell and makes a good feed for houseplants and can be used as often as you water

Also .............crushed up shells can be used in lots of ways as well from plant food to slug barriers

:)

Crumbs that takes me back! My old aunty, who would no doubt have been burned at the stake in years gone by for all her 'wisewoman' ways, used to do this with egg shells. She also used to put tea leaves around the base of her roses and grapefruit skins. She grew the best rhubarb and I was over the moon when I became old enough to sample rhubarb wine - it was wonderful! :p She also made rhubarb pies, jam, all her own bread, cakes and proper cooked meals from scratch.

She died 25 years ago at the age of 81, having washed her windows (inside and out) from the top of a pair of step ladders and mowed her lawn. She'd taken the lawn mower to pieces to clean it, put it back together and then had a stroke. She had a blood disorder that meant she produced too much of the stuff - so every month or so she had to go to hospital where they would take a pint. The previous month she'd been feeling a bit off, so the doc had suggested leaving it for that month. Who knows - if she'd gone ahead, she might be here still, at 106 digging her garden and washing her windows :cry:. On the other hand if she had lost her independence in any way, it would have been much worse than death for the woman she was. Wherever she is now, I'm sure she still knows we still think of her with love and especially admiration.:T

She also used to put fine lines of salt around her garden paths - not only does it keep demons at bay:eek: (see 'Supernatural' on ITV2) - but it kills slugs too:D.
    Some people hear voices, some see invisible people. Others have no imagination whatsoever :D
  • jackieglasgow
    jackieglasgow Posts: 9,436 Forumite
    Options
    Birds, including chickens, don't have bums or lady-chicken-businesses. They have a cloaca, or vent - one orifice, which performs all the nether-regions functions.

:eek::eek: Oh my!!!!!!!
    mardatha wrote: »
    It's what is inside your head that matters in life - not what's outside your window :D
    Every worthwhile accomplishment, big or little, has its stages of drudgery and triumph; a beginning, a struggle and a victory. - Ghandi
  • Gaia
    Gaia Posts: 446 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Eenymeeny wrote: »
    Hi, I've got loads of old contact lens cases as I get a new one with my lenses every month. Can't bear to throw them out and wondered if you clever people have any suggestions for using them? (I wash them in the small basket of the dishwasher, so reckon they'll be very clean!)
    The only thing that I've come up with is a tablet carrier for travelling. (No kids in the house s no worries about child-proof tops) and decanting vaseline out of jar to use as lip salve. My OH suggested salt and pepper for picnics but don't seem to do many picnics these days!
    Any ideas please?

You could always offer them on your local Freecycle group - https://www.freecycle.org
    I offered my old ones on there ages ago and several people requested them. I wear dailies now so don't need them any more.
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience." Anon.
  • tara747
    tara747 Posts: 10,238 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Unity wrote: »
    Crumbs that takes me back! My old aunty, who would no doubt have been burned at the stake in years gone by for all her 'wisewoman' ways, used to do this with egg shells. She also used to put tea leaves around the base of her roses and grapefruit skins. She grew the best rhubarb and I was over the moon when I became old enough to sample rhubarb wine - it was wonderful! :p She also made rhubarb pies, jam, all her own bread, cakes and proper cooked meals from scratch.

She died 25 years ago at the age of 81, having washed her windows (inside and out) from the top of a pair of step ladders and mowed her lawn. She'd taken the lawn mower to pieces to clean it, put it back together and then had a stroke. She had a blood disorder that meant she produced too much of the stuff - so every month or so she had to go to hospital where they would take a pint. The previous month she'd been feeling a bit off, so the doc had suggested leaving it for that month. Who knows - if she'd gone ahead, she might be here still, at 106 digging her garden and washing her windows :cry:. On the other hand if she had lost her independence in any way, it would have been much worse than death for the woman she was. Wherever she is now, I'm sure she still knows we still think of her with love and especially admiration.:T

She also used to put fine lines of salt around her garden paths - not only does it keep demons at bay:eek: (see 'Supernatural' on ITV2) - but it kills slugs too:D.

What a lovely post Unity, thank you. :)
    Get to 119lbs! 1/2/09: 135.6lbs 1/5/11: 145.8lbs 30/3/13 150lbs 22/2/14 137lbs 2/6/14 128lbs 29/8/14 124lbs 2/6/17 126lbs
    Save £180,000 by 31 Dec 2020! 2011: £54,342 * 2012: £62,200 * 2013: £74,127 * 2014: £84,839 * 2015: £95,207 * 2016: £109,122 * 2017: £121,733 * 2018: £136,565 * 2019: £161,957 * 2020: £197,685
    eBay sales - £4,559.89 Cashback - £2,309.73
  • tudorfan22
    tudorfan22 Posts: 436 Forumite
    edited 24 April 2010 at 8:42PM
    Options
    According to someone I know that's the front bottom! EEK!

i have chickens and they the front bottom and the back bottom is one and the same, they only have one bottom and its called a vent

in case you ever wanted to know!

edited as it seems this has been mentioned in quite some depth! love the picture! can see where ive had my finger this morning! (my chook is poorly - think she may be egg bound and olive up up the you-know-what is meant to help!) joy!
    )

:beer:
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Penelope_Penguin Posts: 17,288 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I've started a brand new Sneaky Ways thread here :T This thread will, therefore, soon be closed :D

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • Eenymeeny
    Eenymeeny Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Gaia wrote: »
    You could always offer them on your local Freecycle group - www.freecycle.org
    I offered my old ones on there ages ago and several people requested them. I wear dailies now so don't need them any more.
    Thanks, that's a good idea, but I'd still like to know what they were using them for!:D:T
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure