PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Sneaky ways to save the pennies

Options

Comments

• natlie
    natlie Posts: 1,688 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    yesterday I bought tesco own mouthwash and put it in the Listerine bottle as partner is a brand snob saved £2 yay also bought tesco anti bac handwash and put it in the cussons bottle.
    DMP: £30,668 £3,364.02 DFD July 2024
  • sazzy6
    sazzy6 Posts: 342 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for moving it to the right place!
  • BitterAndTwisted
    Options
    sazzy6 wrote: »
    A moment of inspiration came to me the other day while in the shower. I live with 2 guys and sometimes one of their girlfriends stays too. Anyway I love to use Dove shampoo and it is one of my treats. This shampoo never lasts long as people just help themselves to it! Grrr...

So I decided to be cheeky the other day and decanted the shampoo into a conditioner bottle. None of them ever go never conditioner! Shampoo is now just for ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:

Back in the Dark Ages when I earned a pittance and used to house-share this kind of theft used to drive me mental so I kept all my precious toiletries in my room.

I'd be tempted to leave a decoy shampoo-bottle topped up with that blue, 18 pence a litre foam-bath from Asda. Let the thieving !!!!!!s wash their precious locks with that or use their own!

Don't get me started on the "borrowing" of foodstuffs from my shelf in the kitchen-cupboard. Grrrrr! Lordy, I'm sooooo glad I live on my own now, so where I put things is always where they are to be found when I want them
  • tara747
    tara747 Posts: 10,238 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Back in the Dark Ages when I earned a pittance and used to house-share this kind of theft used to drive me mental so I kept all my precious toiletries in my room.

I'd be tempted to leave a decoy shampoo-bottle topped up with that blue, 18 pence a litre foam-bath from Asda. Let the thieving !!!!!!s wash their precious locks with that or use their own!

Don't get me started on the "borrowing" of foodstuffs from my shelf in the kitchen-cupboard. Grrrrr! Lordy, I'm sooooo glad I live on my own now, so where I put things is always where they are to be found when I want them

I used to have a housemate who did this, it drove me mad. I actually did leave an Aussie shampoo bottle in the bathroom with value shower gel in it lol!!! I don't know if she ever used it. :rotfl: Cheapskate.
    Get to 119lbs! 1/2/09: 135.6lbs 1/5/11: 145.8lbs 30/3/13 150lbs 22/2/14 137lbs 2/6/14 128lbs 29/8/14 124lbs 2/6/17 126lbs
    Save £180,000 by 31 Dec 2020! 2011: £54,342 * 2012: £62,200 * 2013: £74,127 * 2014: £84,839 * 2015: £95,207 * 2016: £109,122 * 2017: £121,733 * 2018: £136,565 * 2019: £161,957 * 2020: £197,685
    eBay sales - £4,559.89 Cashback - £2,309.73
  • rosemary54
    rosemary54 Posts: 2,495 Forumite
    Options

Y.S moans about flat mates using his milk,I did suggest he laced a decoy bottle with laxative but don't think he did!:rotfl:
  • purplevamp
    purplevamp Posts: 10,337 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Saved a few pennies tonight by boiling my egg (for my egg mayo sandwich for work tomorrow) with the rice for tonights dinner. Not saving much but I didn't need to boil up 2 pans of water and waste extra gas. Also cut open the tomato puree to find loads of puree in the bit you can't squeeze!
    Mortgage: Was: £154,495 Oct 2039 Now: £91,758.85 Jul 2037
    Swagbucks ~ £150 (2023 ~ £355)
    Surveys ~ £93.18 (2023 ~ £344.20)
    Make £2024 in 2024 #35 ~ £246.61 ~ (2023 ~ £2,224.70)
  • Thriftybynature
    Options
    curlyford wrote: »
    Hi i thought your idea on the tin can's for the garden was great idea....however after washing out 2 tins i've got a bit stuck of how to decorate them...thought maybe a compass type tool so i could !!!!! lots of holes into it...but any other ideas would be great!! ;)

very late in discovering this thread but loving it! Curlyford if you're a) still around on mse and b) still interested - I do this all the time. Fill the can with water and freeze it. Use a hammer and a nail (the ice stops the can squashing) and make holes in a pattern - and even 2 holes at the top and use an old wire coathanger to make a hanger. Please be careful though as the holes have jagged edges on the inside of the can.
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    ooooo! any pics? I can't quite visualise that but it sounds fun!
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• consultant31
    consultant31 Posts: 4,814 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    purplevamp wrote: »
    Saved a few pennies tonight by boiling my egg (for my egg mayo sandwich for work tomorrow) with the rice for tonights dinner.

I hope you remembered to wash the egg well first - just thinking where it's come from :rotfl:
    I let my mind wander and it never came back!
  • Aimsleey
    Aimsleey Posts: 24 Forumite
    Options
    huxley wrote: »
    Today teenage ds2 was given a lesson in stretching pennies, the cry came of mum I've got no gel I can't go to college like this! So I gave him those gel tubes he had said were empty and I had collected a pair of scissors and a pot, we cut open those tubes and scrapped them out and he wont have to buy gel for at least a week!

I always buy hand creams/ face moisturiser in jars for this reason- you can make sure they are really empty. If I do buy a tube that's on offer then it gets cut open and decanted into a jar to get it all out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure