Premium Bond Winner ?

Options

Comments

• polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,905 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Just wondered how Ernie knows when to stop generating the numbers? What if it generates numbers that are not valid bond numbers?

The process continues until the prize fund has been fully allocated to valid bonds. I imagine that the random number generator (RNG) knows nothing about bond numbers. It is down to another part of ernie to match an RNG number to a bond using a look-up table. I'd guess that that is where the process could become non-random. However random the RNG, if the look-up table doesn't include a particular bond, that bond will NEVER win. That the look-up table isn't perfect is demonstrated by NS&I regularly having to redirect prizes from bond look-ups that looked right at the time but were susequently found not to be valid for that draw.

I guess :)
  • concorde1966
    Options
    Agent Million is supposed to go round to visit the winners today but seen this online today? Paper obviously knew about it yesterday?
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.northantstelegraph.co.uk/news/premium-bond-millionaire-is-from-northamptonshire-1-8620680/amp
  • Masomnia
    Masomnia Posts: 19,506 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I imagine NS&I contact local papers as a bit of marketing.
    “I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.” - P.G. Wodehouse
  • westv
    westv Posts: 6,093 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Does anybody else find that the "Previous 6 months" view on the NS&I website doesn't show an accurate record of prizes won?
  • westv wrote: »
    Does anybody else find that the "Previous 6 months" view on the NS&I website doesn't show an accurate record of prizes won?

Yes, it doesn't show my win in April 2018. Shows no wins in last 6 months.
  • Yvette394
    Options
    Won 2 X £25 on holding of £96,000. My parent in laws won £25 on £20,000. Hopefully better luck next month.
    Apr - Makitia DAB Radio

Wins 2013 £3996, 2014 £1125, 2015 £2906, 2016 £3058 2017 £1025 2018 £6738 2019 £326
  • Alistair31
    Options
    3 x £25 on £15k.
  • CatLady13
    Options
    I took some money out so this is the first month of less than £50k since February, (I now have £42k), and won absolutely nothing.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,474 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    CatLady13 wrote: »
    I took some money out so this is the first month of less than £50k since February, (I now have £42k), and won absolutely nothing.

Therefore, you are now wondering if the withdrawn numbers would have won.
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,905 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    CatLady13 wrote: »
    teddysmum wrote: »
    Therefore, you are now wondering if the withdrawn numbers would have won.

Let's hope that we pick up those prizes on the re-distribution, tm :)

Otherwise a pretty grim 0.3% aer, here :(
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure