We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Premium Bond Winner ?

1…115611571158115911601162»

Comments

  • SnowMan
    SnowMan Posts: 4,084 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited Today at 9:46AM

    It is 4.7% but over 6 months so annualised it's 9.4%pa although I doubt you will be as lucky in the next 6 months, but you never know.

    Your £1,000 and £500 wins have super-charged your return. It was almost 1,000 to 1 against you winning at least £1,625 in June.

    Interestingly the odds of winning at least £1,650 in smaller wins (£25, £50 and £100) alone in that month were 360 trillion to one. So I'll rule that out as a possibility!

    I came, I saw, I melted
  • Wednesdayman
    Wednesdayman Posts: 9 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic

    It mirrors both my Premium bond record and my gambling record. I have kept track of every bet I've made over the last five years and, whilst I am up marginally, the big wins make up for lots of smaller losses. With gambling it is easy to attempt to play up your winnings, with PB it is impossible to hold more than 50K so you really are just waiting for the big ones.

  • redux
    redux Posts: 23,149 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    I feel almost like an imposter on this thread, as I'm at the other end of the scale. I've had three lots of £25 on £250 in about 25 years

    That's about one per cent a year. I hadn't thought about that until just now. Something different at say 3 per cent compounding would have doubled. 10 per cent a year compound would have multiplied by 10.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.