• bryanb
    bryanb Posts: 4,994 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    soolin wrote: »
    Order as many long or short versions of anybody's birth certificate here:

Full name and postal address
    An e-mail address
    Details of the registration event you are applying for - e.g. birth, death, marriage or adoption

So if you suspect any of your frineds have shaved a few years of their age, you can even check that and get their birth certificate if you are prepared to search.

If they've "shaved" a few years off how would you quote their date of birth?
    This is an open forum, anyone can post and I just did !
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,250 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    bryanb wrote: »
    If they've "shaved" a few years off how would you quote their date of birth?

If you are a registered user you can search..so if the actual date of their birthday is correct you can search backwards year by year.

if you go to the public records yourself you can even browse completely at random..so you can choose a surname and just search the books.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,250 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    miaxmia wrote: »
    Send it recorded delivery.

Recorded is just standard mail with a signature required, so no safer than just using 1st or 2nd class. For additional security it is best to use special delivery..but then it starts to look cheaper to just buy a duplicate certificate.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • dzug
    dzug Posts: 2,260 Forumite
    Options
    I don't recall either myself or Mrs dzug being asked to send a birth certificate with the application form - only last year.

Has the system changed in the last few months?
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    soolin wrote: »
    Recorded is just standard mail with a signature required, so no safer than just using 1st or 2nd class. For additional security it is best to use special delivery..but then it starts to look cheaper to just buy a duplicate certificate.

It won't be returned using either recorded delivery or special delivery and could get lost, so it's worth getting a duplicate and sending that.
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • dzug
    Options
    Errata wrote: »
    It won't be returned using either recorded delivery or special delivery and could get lost, so it's worth getting a duplicate and sending that.

Not really - you don't need to get a duplicate unless it ACTUALLY goes missing. Save your money until then - in reality it's unlikely to do so.
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    You can't send your 'original' birth certificate as that is in the register.

Anything you have is a copy from the register and you can have as many copies as you like, of yours or anyone else's.

So, no problem witrth sending it through the post.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You can't send your 'original' birth certificate as that is in the register.

Anything you have is a copy from the register and you can have as many copies as you like, of yours or anyone else's.

So, no problem witrth sending it through the post.

Is this right? My original birth certificate is beautifully handwritten, surely a duplicate one won't be.
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • dzug
    Options
    Is this right? My original birth certificate is beautifully handwritten, surely a duplicate one won't be.

The new copy will these days usually be typed.

Your 'original' is still a copy. The wording on it and the one you get now is to the effect that it is a copy of the entry in the register, which is the actual original.

Yes it would be a pity to lose it but the chances of that happening are low.
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options

Yes, it is still a copy, it was just in days of yore they copied them beautifully in handwriting and now they use laser printers.

If you look on it near the top it will say something like 'copy of an entry in the register'.

So although you may like your copperplate written copy, it is as much a copy and no more important than one you get today.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure