Sending original birth certificate through the post

I will soon be applying for the annual fuel allowance. I have downloaded the form and notes and see they are asking me to send the original of my birth certificate through the post, in order that they may verify my age. This is unbelievable. I have already had correspondence with the pension office, so they clearly know my age. Add to this the prospect of so much mail that goes missing these days, I feel this a surprising, dangerous and archaic procedure.

Does anyone know if they accept any other form of verification? Or perhaps they think it's easy to obtain a copy birth certificate should it go astray.

Geoff

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,686 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Can you get an authorised copy done by someone local, then send that to them? Don't know about government agencies, but I did that at a local branch of a building society to send to their head office, free of charge.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,186 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I have no problem at all ins sending a birth certificate in the post as it *is* easy to get another one. You can even request one online, costs about £6 and arrives in a week.

I am doing family history research and have birth certificates now going back 5 generations..all obtained with very little fuss.

In fact the ease at which they can be obtained is why so many places will no longer accept them as ID.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • soolin wrote: »
    I have no problem at all ins sending a birth certificate in the post as it *is* easy to get another one. You can even request one online, costs about £6 and arrives in a week.

Perhaps the govenment department means an original copy, rather than THE original copy which would now be an antique of some 60 years. THE original one would be quite precious in that it would be written in somewhat faded ink, and handwritten too, not some computer produced form. This would indeed be too precious to send in the post to some jobsworth.
  • soolin
    VeryTrying wrote: »
    Perhaps the govenment department means an original copy, rather than THE original copy which would now be an antique of some 60 years. THE original one would be quite precious in that it would be written in somewhat faded ink, and handwritten too, not some computer produced form. This would indeed be too precious to send in the post to some jobsworth.

Nope an original copy is any copy obtained from the proper source, ie not a photocopy that has been notorised. There is no difference between a copy bought when an infant is first registered, or one bought a few (or a lot ) of years later.

I have recently been doing a lot of work for my father and many departments asked for his birth certificate , along with other documents. I just ordered two additional copies and sent them round.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • TomsMom
    TomsMom Posts: 4,251 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I had to send my birth certificate for something official last year, can't remember what now but I know I wasn't happy about sending the original.

I queried it and was told that I could send a "certified" copy and that my local Job Centre would provide this certified copy free of charge.

Off I toddled to the JC, explained what I wanted and immediately, no questions asked, they copied it, stamped the copy with their official stamp and signed it.

Job done!
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Not a lot of help to any of you, probably, but for my 3 boys I have both 'short' and 'long' certificates. I've only ever sent the 'short' one off in the post, the 'long' one doesn't leave the house until it goes with them!

When the eldest was born, in hospital, I registered his birth and was in two minds whether or not to get a 'long' one - which cost money - or just the 'short' one which was free and doesn't name his father. His father insisted on having both ... :confused: I was only trying to save money! :rotfl:
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • soolin
    Order as many long or short versions of anybody's birth certificate here:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Diol1/DoItOnline/DG_4017640

All you need is a debit or credit card and the following info:

Full name and postal address
    An e-mail address
    Details of the registration event you are applying for - e.g. birth, death, marriage or adoption

Just be warned that you can search for any certificates issued more than 18 months ago (more recent ones aren't online yet). So if you suspect any of your frineds have shaved a few years of their age, you can even check that and get their birth certificate if you are prepared to search.

When you start doing family research you turn up a lot of oddities, marriages a few months after they were supposed to be, missing brothers and sisters, extra marriages that have been 'forgotten about'.
  • Geoffo_M
    Geoffo_M Posts: 1,161 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    soolin wrote: »
    Order as many long or short versions of anybody's birth certificate here:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Diol1/DoItOnline/DG_4017640

All you need is a debit or credit card and the following info:

Full name and postal address
    An e-mail address
    Details of the registration event you are applying for - e.g. birth, death, marriage or adoption

Just be warned that you can search for any certificates issued more than 18 months ago (more recent ones aren't online yet). So if you suspect any of your frineds have shaved a few years of their age, you can even check that and get their birth certificate if you are prepared to search.

When you start doing family research you turn up a lot of oddities, marriages a few months after they were supposed to be, missing brothers and sisters, extra marriages that have been 'forgotten about'.

Thanks for the link. I prefer that idea and will order one. Like others, I'm not very happy to release my original certificate. It does pose the worrying question that if it's easy to order one online, it would be just as easy for someone intent on identity fraud. I know what you're thinking "Some people are never happy".

Thanks again

Geoff
  • soolin
    No you are quite right Geoff.

The ease at which anyone can obtain any certificates is why birth certificates are not used to prove ID in most places, more often they are used as secondary id to prove a date of birth once a more formal form of ID has been taken. For example open a bank account and they want utility bills showing your name and address, a birth certificate is not considered proof of ID.
  • miaxmia
    miaxmia Posts: 309 Forumite
    Send it recorded delivery.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills