PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Making plum jam

Comments

• frugalpam
    frugalpam Posts: 2,514
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    My plum tree has gone crazy this year - just been out picking loads of them!
    Anyone got any good jam recipes - or suggestions of what else I can do with them - eg puree. Have given loads away already to the neighbours and friends

cheers
    Pam
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Stew them and store in different sized portions in the freezer. They're good for brightening up porridge or mixing with other fruit for a fruit compote or crumble, For Plum jam:
    1 lb stoned plums, 1 lb sugar, One eight of pint water if fruit is under-ripe, otherwise none.
    Simmer fruit until tender, adding water if necessary. Add sugar & stir until dissolved. Boil rapidly until setting point is reached. (20-25 mins). To check setting point, drop a few drops of mixture onto a cold plate & leave in fridge for 3 mins. If the mixture wrinkles, setting point has been reached.
    This can also be made in a microwave if you have a suitable HIGH SIDED bowl. You
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Stew them and store in different sized portions in the freezer. They're excellent for brightening up porridge or mixing with other fruit for a fruit compote or crumble,
    For Plum jam:
    1 lb stoned plums, 1 lb sugar, One eightth of pint water if fruit is under-ripe, otherwise none.
    Simmer fruit until tender, adding water if necessary. Add sugar & stir until dissolved. Boil rapidly until setting point is reached. (20-25 mins). To check setting point, drop a few drops of mixture onto a cold plate & leave in fridge for 3 mins. If the mixture wrinkles, setting point has been reached.
    This can also be made in a microwave if you have a suitable HIGH SIDED bowl. You will not need to stir using this method because the sugar will not burn in a microwave, whereas it will if used over an ordinary source of heat.
  • frugalpam
    Forumite
    Those ideas sound good - thank you!

Pam
    Primrose wrote: »
    Stew them and store in different sized portions in the freezer. They're excellent for brightening up porridge or mixing with other fruit for a fruit compote or crumble,
    For Plum jam:
    1 lb stoned plums, 1 lb sugar, One eightth of pint water if fruit is under-ripe, otherwise none.
    This can also be made in a microwave if you have a suitable HIGH SIDED bowl. You will not need to stir using this method because the sugar will not burn in a microwave, whereas it will if used over an ordinary source of heat.
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Hi frugalpam,

This older thread might help:

Making plum jam

I'll merge your thread with that one later to keep all the suggestions together.

Pink
  • frugalpam
    Forumite
    Many thanks :)

Pam

Hi frugalpam,

This older thread might help:

Making plum jam

I'll merge your thread with that one later to keep all the suggestions together.

Pink
  • I have just made 13 jars of plum jam! The tree was laden with fruit, its great to know I'm well stocked up on jam now, won't need to buy any for months! :)
    Save £12k in 2012 no.49 £10,250/£12,000
    Save £12k in 2013 no.34 £11,800/£12,000
    'How much can you save' thread = £7,050
    Total=£29,100
    Mfi3 no. 88: Balance Jan '06 = £63,000. :mad:
    Balance 23.11.09 = £nil. :)
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Hi desperate housewife,

Well done! My poor plum tree only has three plums left on it as the birds got them. :(

I've added your post onto the plum jam thread so that others can see how to make it too.

Pink
  • Thanks PW, looks like everyone else got lucky with the plums too!
    Save £12k in 2012 no.49 £10,250/£12,000
    Save £12k in 2013 no.34 £11,800/£12,000
    'How much can you save' thread = £7,050
    Total=£29,100
    Mfi3 no. 88: Balance Jan '06 = £63,000. :mad:
    Balance 23.11.09 = £nil. :)
  • frugalpam
    Forumite
    I'm just about to go out and pick some more - talk about plum overload :D
    Working my way through this great thread to get some more ideas on ways of using them.
    And why is that the biggest juiciest ones are right at the top of the tree, out of my reach !!

Pam
    I have just made 13 jars of plum jam! The tree was laden with fruit, its great to know I'm well stocked up on jam now, won't need to buy any for months! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure