Disability and getting a free car from the state

Options

Comments

• gingergee
    gingergee Posts: 918 Forumite
    Options
    Must be like a boomerang!!!! lol xx
    The feeling i got when i confirmed my place studying criminology at Exeter Uni was brilliant!!!!!

The pride my children told me they had in me was even better!!!!! # setting positive example to children is OUTSTANDING!!!! !:grouphug::grouphug::smileyhea:smileyhea:smileyhea:smileyhea:smileyhea:smileyhea:smileyhea
  • schrodie
    schrodie Posts: 8,410 Forumite
    Options
    gingergee wrote: »
    Must be like a boomerang!!!! lol xx

Or not enough Jeremy Kyle on the telly!!
  • LadyMorticia
    LadyMorticia Posts: 19,899 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    gingergee wrote: »
    Know what you mean Lady M!!! Fed up of my so called "friends" telling me im getting a "free" car!! Yes it is a perk but as someone else said, i'd swap the lot to be well, and do everything i've always wanted too with my life ie train to be a nurse etc. Some people think that as we get money for being ill it makes things ok again. I wish!!! Lol xx

Same here. People think that money makes up for being ill but it doesn't! I wish I were well enough to be out and working instead of housebound and bedbound alot of the time!

Someone even said to me that they wish they were disabled so that they could get loads of money! It's ridiculous!
    Pollycat wrote: »
    I think there must be something about this thread.....

started Aug 2005
    resurrected May 2009
    resurrected (again) March 2011
    resurrected (again) today

.....it just won't lay down. :)

I only commented because it was already on the first page of the board. :p
    2019 Wins
    1/25

£2019 in 2019
    £10/£2019
  • scotsmart
    scotsmart Posts: 45 Forumite
    Options
    If only it were that simple (and btw a Ford Feista or Ka type vehicle can be leased personally for about the same as we pay)

DLA Cars are MOST certainly NOT FREE a popular misconcetion and misternoma spread by the same people know doubt that spread the rumour that tarred all "disabled" BENEFIT SCROUNGERS scandalous jealous people imagine being jealous of someone who is in pain, imobile or have numerous other difficulties just to survive each day :( most now have a large advance payment for anything over a base small no use to most as a disabled transport vehicle (these deposits are non returnable and come out of our pockets ranging from 100-2500 dependant on models/size with incredibly wheelchair assessible vehicles way above that)

Boils my blood reading posts like this as its just media hate hype that is repeated by those that either have green eyes (jealous) or that have absolutely no knowledge at all like any geniune disabled person i would gladly swap places with an able-bodied person and get my life back but nobody in these types of conversations thinks about that do they only what we get..not why??

Rant over (counted to ten and moving on ........)
  • LadyMorticia
    Options
    nogginhead wrote: »
    I don't agree with you!

I have been disabled since the mid 90's and am now 63. I have always owned my own cars. It was suggested to me late last year that I should have been claiming DLA for the past 16 years! So I did and was awarded HRM & MRC. I have sold my own car and now have a fantastic Astra 2.0 diesel SRI with the VXR sports body. It has every gadget you can imagine, including auto lights, auto wipers etc. It cost me a £249 advance payment.

So for years I have had my own cars that depreciated at least £3000 a year and cost another £1500 just to keep it on the road. Now I have none of that cost!

For the past 16 years I have had no help via benefits, now I get £50 a week extra and a car thrown in for good measure.

Now you tell me where I am losing out with DLA? In real terms I am £4500 a year better off as well as having another £50 a week to spend. Free car? Well I'm not paying for it am I?

You trade in your HRM for the car, so yes, you are paying for it.

If your HRM ceased, you would have to send the car back.
    2019 Wins
    1/25

£2019 in 2019
    £10/£2019
  • scotsmart
    Options
    @ Nogginhead firstly your attitude astounds me quite frankly ...

The benefit IS NOT PAID SPECIFICALLY to get a car its paid to GET YOU AROUND by whatever means that one requires so obviously you are paying for it just because you choose not to check your rights for 16 yrs is nobodys fault other than yours its been widely known this system exsisted long time ago (ive been on HR DLA Care & Mobility since 91) so therefore you could spend the money on anything thus it is definately costing you amazing attitude no wonder were collectively classed as scroungers as for running your own car i have done it also for many years and had i not of moved to a remote area i would still be i fail to understand your logic its way cheaper to run a good secondhand car but hey ive only been doing both for 20 + yrs what do i know still an astounding attitude none the less
  • mynameistallulah
    mynameistallulah Posts: 2,238 Forumite
    Options
    nogginhead wrote: »
    I don't agree with you!

I have been disabled since the mid 90's and am now 63. I have always owned my own cars. It was suggested to me late last year that I should have been claiming DLA for the past 16 years! So I did and was awarded HRM & MRC. I have sold my own car and now have a fantastic Astra 2.0 diesel SRI with the VXR sports body. It has every gadget you can imagine, including auto lights, auto wipers etc. It cost me a £249 advance payment.

So for years I have had my own cars that depreciated at least £3000 a year and cost another £1500 just to keep it on the road. Now I have none of that cost!

For the past 16 years I have had no help via benefits, now I get £50 a week extra and a car thrown in for good measure.

Now you tell me where I am losing out with DLA? In real terms I am £4500 a year better off as well as having another £50 a week to spend. Free car? Well I'm not paying for it am I?

Benefit scrounger? To damn right I am! Having now found out what I should have been getting for the last 16 years, I have every intention of claiming as much as I can - much like everyone else in this country!

Talking of a boomerang ... I see andyandflo is back again! :p
  • Credit-Crunched
    Credit-Crunched Posts: 2,212 Forumite
    Options
    I know this thread is old but I just want to point out that it's not a free car from the state!

You trade in your HRM DLA and that pays for the "rental" of the car!

Ermmm who pays the DLA, thats right the state! So yes it is a free car as you are not technically paying it out of your own money
  • LadyMorticia
    Options
    Talking of a boomerang ... I see andyandflo is back again! :p

That was my thought but I find it hard to tell nowadays. There's another newbie on the board who I was suspecting was AndyandFlo but I could be wrong!
    2019 Wins
    1/25

£2019 in 2019
    £10/£2019
  • scotsmart
    Options
    Again wrong we are paying for it out of the total money the GOV say we need to live on to adequately safely take care of us if thats not to your liking folks take it up with the Gov not us we have no choice but to put it clearly MOST of us dont choose to be ill disabled or otherwise dependant i know in my case i had my own business employed 10's of people paid my taxes (and some) now have a degenative desease that i neither caused nor can do anything about my partner cares for me FREE of charge saving 10's of 1000's but as i and many others have said many times being jealous of someones disability simply due to them getting something your not is not only sad its discusting

I reiterate yeah it is costing us whatever way you wish to look at it as the money is to be used how we see fit some of us get a car some pay for taxis some pay for other things 100% we would rather have our health than a car.....

As for the other comments about other people im sure you know what your talking about gladly we dont but as long as its not aimed at me i really dont care ....

Look beyond the car, cash equivalent or media crap about all being the same as we clearly are not appaulding attitude
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure