Disability and getting a free car from the state

Options

Comments

• dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    criteria, this thread is from 2005. If you need help with your benefit entitlement, feel free to start a new thread.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • dogfish12
    dogfish12 Posts: 159 Forumite
    Options
    Do those on the motability scheme get free insurance?
  • intranicity
    intranicity Posts: 394 Forumite
    Options
    dogfish12 wrote: »
    Do those on the motability scheme get free insurance?

Yes, free Road Fund Licence, Insurance, Tyres, Servicing, Breakdown, all you pay is fuel.....

Still, I'd happily pay for it all and not be disabled!
    Opinions are like bottoms - We all have one, just some stink more than others

Service Attributable Pension - War Pension - War Pensioners Unemployability Supplement - War Pensioners Invalidity Allowance - War Pensioners Comforts Allowance - War Pensioners Mobility Allowance - War Pensioners Child Allowance - Housing Benefit - Council Tax Benefit
  • luisart526
    Options
    Quick Question:
    My husband and I are taking over the care of a very dear Family friend I have known since he was 8 years old. He just had his 39th Birthday on May 1st. He became a Quad C-4 at age 24 and has never had is own means of transportation. He has always relied on public transit to get to his Many Dr. Appointments and has never been able to go more than a few miles away from his home. Public Transit is very time consuming and very hard on him because he also has a Tracheotomy and it effects his breathing and he often needs Suctioning. I have tried everything from UCP, Local and State Independent Living Resources, Dreamweavers, Christopher Reeve Foundation, and several others. He hasn't seen his brothers and sister and extended family for several years. His mother lives in Mexico City. My Husband and I support ourselves and 4 children, one of whom we will be struggling to send to college this September, all with about a $35K yearly combined income. At this moment Raymond (My Dear Friend) is living about 5 hours away. For the past 6 months I have been doing a lot of research because we are planning on Moving him in with us as early as mid June or as late as mid July of 2012. We are currently trying to clean out a room for him and install Wheel chair ramps so he can get in and out easily with his wheel chair. My Question is.....am I able to Apply on his behalf for a Wheel Chair Accessible Van? He is completely Paralyzed and My Husband and I will be making him apart of our family and we would all be traveling together as a family. We would Love to be able to take him to see his mother in Mexico City whom he has not seen in almost 9 years. His brothers, sister and extended family all live within an hour of us and it would mean the world to him if he were able to just go and visit without worrying about the toll a bus ride would take on his body and breathing.
    Thank you sincerely from the bottom of my heart XOXOXO <3
    Luisa
  • luisart526
    Options
    Can you tell me where I can get the information on how this Free insurance, tires and maintenance thing works? Thanks A Bunch, Luisa
  • paddedjohn
    paddedjohn Posts: 7,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    This is a UK scheme not an American one, sorry.
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
  • anguk
    anguk Posts: 3,412 Forumite
    Options
    luisart526 wrote: »
    Can you tell me where I can get the information on how this Free insurance, tires and maintenance thing works? Thanks A Bunch, Luisa
    As paddedjohn has said, the Motability scheme is just for UK residents. I don't know if the US has a similar scheme, it may be best if you ask on a US based disability website, they may be able to help you more?
    Dum Spiro Spero
  • LadyMorticia
    LadyMorticia Posts: 19,899 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I know this thread is old but I just want to point out that it's not a free car from the state!

You trade in your HRM DLA and that pays for the "rental" of the car!
    2019 Wins
    1/25

£2019 in 2019
    £10/£2019
  • gingergee
    gingergee Posts: 918 Forumite
    Options
    Know what you mean Lady M!!! Fed up of my so called "friends" telling me im getting a "free" car!! Yes it is a perk but as someone else said, i'd swap the lot to be well, and do everything i've always wanted too with my life ie train to be a nurse etc. Some people think that as we get money for being ill it makes things ok again. I wish!!! Lol xx
    The feeling i got when i confirmed my place studying criminology at Exeter Uni was brilliant!!!!!

The pride my children told me they had in me was even better!!!!! # setting positive example to children is OUTSTANDING!!!! !:grouphug::grouphug::smileyhea:smileyhea:smileyhea:smileyhea:smileyhea:smileyhea:smileyhea
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    I think there must be something about this thread.....

started Aug 2005
    resurrected May 2009
    resurrected (again) March 2011
    resurrected (again) today

.....it just won't lay down. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts