PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Am I right to feel so annoyed?

Options

Comments

• dan.mcl
    dan.mcl Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    Shop her in! Seriously it is people that make an honest wage like myself and my wife and anyone else who plays fair that have to finance these people!

At the end of the day there are genuine people that require disability benefits etc that dont get them simply because they dont know how to fill in the forms to their maximum benefit.

I lived in the city that has the highest rate of benefit fraud in the entire UK and I feel everyone has the duty to report benefit fraud.
    Having been unemployed for a short period it was necessary for me to go on the dole and I found it totally soul destroying, then I see people pulling up outside it in flash cars wearing the latest fashions and going in to collect their money when there are people that have not got enough money to put milk in their cornflakes (my wifes situation while growing up with a single mum) they disgust me, they are one of the lowest forms of life that I have ever come across and I take great delight in naming and shaming them!

There are genuine cases of people having to do "the double" simply to support their families but these are rare cases and they are usually the case of someone not correctly filling in forms etc.

sorry about the rant but this is one topic that really gets my goat!
  • larmy16
    larmy16 Posts: 4,324 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Dan

I do agree with you, but how does one go about shopping a person who is fraudulently claiming. Do they take your name, or do they take it as an allegation. I just dont think they can have the resources to follow these people. After all, if it were that easy, why are there so many getting away with it?

I am not dismissing what you say for as I said I do agree. I just wonder if it will be a bit like the illegal immigrant situation - not much really ends up happening.

The benefit system is a monster (I am of course excluding worthy claimants) which no-one seems to be able to or has the guts to tame. Its one big parasite living off the honest workers of the country.

PS I understand your rant. There is nothing more soul destroying than having to visit one of these places. I am pretty sure I am probably entitled to a few pounds housing benefit, but the palava of claiming and the intrusion into your life really puts me off!
    Grocery Challenge £139/240 until 31/01
    Taking part in Sealed Pot No.819/2011
    Only essentials on Ebay/Amazon

• Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    larmy - AFAIK, you ring up a dedicated benefits fraud line and give all the info you have about the person - name, age, description, what they are doing etc. They will not take your name but they do say that things won't happen overnight so not to keep ringing them. Once you have lodged your complaint, then just let them go about it in their own time - after all they need the evidence too.

http://www.targetingbenefitfraud.gov.uk/
  • Rave
    Rave Posts: 513 Forumite
    Options

Please report her for tax evasion- you'll be doing all us honest folk a favour. If she was doing the cash in hand jobs just to get by and was really struggling I'd be sympathetic, but since she's clearly playing the system out of sheer greed- and has the chutzpah to boast about it to you- I wouldn't have the slightest hesitation in reporting her.
  • Jet
    Jet Posts: 1,624 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    When I was a single Mum working part time on tax credits, I only just managed to survive because I had a mortgage to pay and no maintenance coming in.

I know another single Mum who works less hours than me, drives an audi convertible, is out clubbing and in the pub at least twice a week. Has £50 hair extensions every few weeks! Pays babysitters while she goes out partying, has at least 2 foreign holidays per year, gets over £600 per month in maintenance (and gets her exes to buy school uniforms / haircuts / clothes on top of this), has a tiny mortgage due to a big payoff when she split with hubbie no. 1, new clothes every 5 minutes etc. etc. Oh and she announced the other day that she's taking the kids to Florida next year.

How can this be right? :mad: She is doing nothing "underhand" but gets all this money for nothing!

I really believe there should be more "means testing" when it comes to tax credits. But then if the tax credit system is such a mess now what would it be like if it was more complicated?
  • Jet
    Jet Posts: 1,624 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Rave wrote:

If she was doing the cash in hand jobs just to get by and was really struggling I'd be sympathetic, but since she's clearly playing the system out of sheer greed- and has the chutzpah to boast about it to you- I wouldn't have the slightest hesitation in reporting her.

I totally agree with this. Some people take cash in hand jobs just to survive and yet they seem to be the ones that get reported.

This woman sounds like she's taking the p**s, not struggling to make ends meet. And anyway, it might do her children a favour by making "mummy" stay at home and spend some quality time with them.
  • jazzyjustlaw
    jazzyjustlaw Posts: 1,378 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your troubles rant. In what way was the silly miss taking the mickey out of your accounts? How dare she. I can tell you this I work with a few girls and am particularly close to two of them. We support each other no matter what. ALthough there was trouble with one girl who has since left we now have a little family. I couldnt cope working where you work you are obviously far to good for them.

In relation to the comment re means testing tax credit etc, it worries me more than more people who need it wouldnt get it if this happened. I just think that there is karma out there and that means what goes around comes around.

As for the comment that girl made about that Live 8 line-up I hope she never has to suffer as that is one of the most awful things I have ever heard.
    All my views are just that and do not constitute legal advice in any way, shape or form.£2.00 savers club - £20.00 saved and banked (got a £2.00 pig and not counted the rest)Joined Store Cupboard Challenge]
  • Rage_in_Eden
    Options
    jazzyjustlaw: i know. The Live 8 was particularly jaw dropping............ and there I was buying 3 white bands in total as when they got dirty and I wasn't sure I could bung them in the wash without the writing coming off!!!!!! i despair with some people......... unfortunately she's one of these people who knows who are the right people to be nice to if you get what I mean......... needless to say that I am not and am nice to people based on whether i like them and whether they are nice to me........... i am obviously going wrong somewhere!!!! professional coutesy and friendship are not the same thing in my book - perhaps I'm just too much like ena sharples for my own good (OH has been known to call me "Ena" when I am standing in the midst of baking looking particularly stressed/miffed as I frown like she did - still it makes a change from "troutface" :D )
    But I'm going to say this once, and once only, Gene. Stay out of Camberwick Green :D
  • Kantankrus_Mare
    Options
    As the old saying goes......"All that glitters isn't gold" and anyone that envies someone for their seemingly flash lifestyle should always remember this.

Not easy I well know being on the minimum wage myself but consider yourself a far superior person to her as you have morals!! She obviously doesn't and yes "Shop her" But your probably like me .......worry about the consequences.

I bet shes up to her eyeballs in debt and doesn't give two hoots about that either...........another saying........... "what goes around.....comes around!"

Good luck in whatever you decide to do xxx
    Make £10 a Day Feb .....£75.... March... £65......April...£90.....May £20.....June £35.......July £60
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,159 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Jet wrote:
    When I was a single Mum working part time on tax credits, I only just managed to survive because I had a mortgage to pay and no maintenance coming in.

I know another single Mum who works less hours than me, drives an audi convertible, is out clubbing and in the pub at least twice a week. Has £50 hair extensions every few weeks! Pays babysitters while she goes out partying, has at least 2 foreign holidays per year, gets over £600 per month in maintenance (and gets her exes to buy school uniforms / haircuts / clothes on top of this), has a tiny mortgage due to a big payoff when she split with hubbie no. 1, new clothes every 5 minutes etc. etc. Oh and she announced the other day that she's taking the kids to Florida next year.

How can this be right? :mad: She is doing nothing "underhand" but gets all this money for nothing!

I really believe there should be more "means testing" when it comes to tax credits. But then if the tax credit system is such a mess now what would it be like if it was more complicated?
    Does her ex have a well paid job? maintainance money isn't taken into account for the purposes of tax credits-something I've spoken out on before in this forum. A friend of mine has maintainance paid of over £100 a week. That is more than £5200 of disregarded income. She gets the same tax credit money as someone on same money, same hours, same amount of kids who receives no maintainance. Her household income works out very similar to my own net income with a hubby earning a decent wage and me working part-time but she gets the advantage of 70% off childcare, free perscriptions
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure