PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Am I right to feel so annoyed?

Options
Well, where do I start. One of the women here is now on her 3rd holiday (the fourth being next week - she has had two different holidays in 2 weeks). Fair play if she likes taking holidays but I have to tell you this. The other week we were all talking at work about money and they were all making fun of me and my accounts and I said i have to as there is only my wage coming in at the moment etc. This person pipes up well I only have my wage and I've got children.... er, let me point out at this point she (a) works here (b) is a paper distributor (c) does bar work (d) takes other people's children to school getting about £70 per week in total. the only job she is taxed on i.e. not cash in hand is the one here which she also gets her working tax credit on - nothing wrong with that being paid (apart from the fact that I thought with it being means tests it was there for those who actually needed it). and she gets money off her ex for the children. she has a cleaner and has a car and has bought a camper van as well. she is always in the pub. Is it just me or does anyone else feel like giving her a "jolly good slap" ? and she said that because OH and I have two houses (inherited wealth and I would rather have parents alive because i don't have any other family) we "are loaded" er, excuse me? is that why we can't afford a joint 40th birthday party then?
But I'm going to say this once, and once only, Gene. Stay out of Camberwick Green :D

Comments

• elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I would have been furious too.

Also tempted to point out that if she declared all her income then she would be a lot less well off.

You seem to work with a "right bunch" of sanctimonious and insensitive wallies.

Sorry if I cause offence, but at least you can hold your head up high and will be better off in the end - in all sorts of ways.

Big Hug and don't belt her - however tempting it must be!
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • Rage_in_Eden
    Options
    i was very tempted i can tell you. actually i am still applying for jobs - 4 so far - and two more to fill in and submit on -line today. BUT as I have pointed out to OH we are trying to start a family and it would be just my luck for me to move jobs and then get preggers and not qualify for anything other than the statutory maternity pay!!! as OHs business is not getting any money so he is bringing in the £30 per week for his saturday wedding driving it would be a FINANCIAL DISASTER :eek: :eek: bread and dripping anyone? :rolleyes:
    But I'm going to say this once, and once only, Gene. Stay out of Camberwick Green :D
  • elona
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I know you want to get out of there as fast as possible but perhaps the best revenge would be to get pregnant straight away then have to go on extended sick leave etc and get paid while being away from that lot.
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • Rage_in_Eden
    Options
    oooooh i hadn't thought of that!!!!! well, last time I was pregnant (miscarriage at c. 3 months) I was SOOOOOO ill from day one - lots of being sick - and a fondness for corned beef as well .......

Hmmmm that could work....... :think:
  • BWZN93
    BWZN93 Posts: 2,182 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would want to slap her too! How bloody rude of her! She is essentially committing fraud by not declaring her other incomes for tax and NI, and WTC assessment!

Id make a swift phonecall to the authorities if it were me! (But then again I do take an exceptionally dim view of fraudsters...)

Jo xx
    #KiamaHouse
  • pol
    pol Posts: 643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't know if I could have restrained myself from telling them a thing or two. They must be very self centred to make fun of you for your ways with money, most people would have been glad to learn a thing or two!

It's a shame this person doesn't see how lucky she is to afford holidays at all, there are many people who work hard who can't.

I hope you don't let them get to you.

pol
    37 mrstwins squares, 6 little bags, 16 RWB squares, 1 ladies cardi, 4 boobs, 20 baby hats, 4 xmas stockings, 1 scarf, 4 prs wristwarmers
  • Rage_in_Eden
    Options
    well when I am a multi-million selling novelist I will take revenge in the form of my autobiography!!!!! this will, of course, be after I have set up my own needlecraft shop called "The Lazy Daisy" in part of the old railway station building in the centre of urmston................... :j
  • elona
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It must be horrible to feel you are surrounded either by people who spend money like water and do not value it - or by people who are "milking the system".

For them to be making fun of you for trying to earn an honest living, pay your bills and not get into debt must be so infuriating.

We are all behind you and the others where you work will just have to learn the hard way.

It will catch up to them eventually - one way or another.
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    At the end of the day you are honest and she is not. I know who I would rather be. My dad, god rest his soul, always said that if you have done a good weeks' work your hand won't shake when you take your paypacket in your hand. She must be permanently jittery!You are right to be annoyed, but take heart from the fact that you are a decent person and not a liar. :beer:
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • ancasta_2
    ancasta_2 Posts: 951 Forumite
    Options
    I know this is a harsh thing to say, but cant you report her for benefit fraud or something similar as she is TOTALLY playing the system and people like that give genuine cases a VERY bad name.

Slap the b!tch is my suggestion

*rant over*
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family