problem with car

Options
vickyb
vickyb Posts: 113 Forumite
hello there
im hoping someone may be able to give me some advice,
i bought a brand new car (£16000) in 04 and not long after i bought the car i could smell petrol very strong inside the car it was prob about 6mth after i got it took it to the gargage as i was worried it was something serious and the gauge on the dashboard didnt seem to be reading the correct info as to how much petrol i had put in it was going down too quick (garage told me i must of had a heavy foot!) but they couldnt find anything wrong with it, i still wasnt happy not long after they done this check so i took it back they found that the transponder wasnt sending the correct info from the tank to the gauge on the dashboard but i could still smell petrol (far too strong to be nornal,that strong you could hardly breath) but again they couldnt find anything wrong with it! it has now been 4 year since i got the car the warranty ran out last year, i filled the tank up the other night to the very limit and there was petrol gushing out from underneath the car (it has never been full right to the top while ive had the car) but all along it must of had this leak in the tank)
im not sure what to do as to where i stand on terms that ive told he garage about the problem twice it was under warranty back then but now it is not,does anyone know what i could do???
many thanks
vicky

Comments

• Pew_Pew_Pew_Lasers!
    Options
    Firstly, learn how to punctuate your posts.

Secondly, you probably over-filled the car which is why excess fuel drained out below, but check behind the carpeted panels in the boot, or behind the rear seats, wherever the fuel filler pipe runs, look if you can see any petrol spilling down there - a seal may have perished. Petrol evaporates quickly so best to prepare the area first for inspection and then fill the car up.

Thirdly, check to see if your car has anything like a carbon canister that may have failed (it controls evaporative emissions of fuel).
  • vickyb
    Options
    how can you over fill a tank???? theres no where for it to go if thats the case the whole tank was emptying or i doesnt have a top on it cos it was gushing out, not trickling, it was like a waterfall!!!! if someone had lit a match the whole place would of gone up
  • Stephb1986_2
    Stephb1986_2 Posts: 6,279 Forumite
    Options
    sounds like a hole in your tank i had this problem with my seicento and it had a petrol leak. do a search online and see if they have been re called for dodgy petrol tank.

HTH

Steph xxx
  • vickyb
    Options
    thanks its prob not the first theyve been recalled for cos it had a leak in the roof and they are known for this prob, i'll try that thankyou
  • hartcjhart
    hartcjhart Posts: 9,463 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    what make and model is it,also I think(unusually for me) that you may in this instance have some comeback on the garage
    I :love: MOJACAR
  • vickyb
    Options
    its a peugeot 206cc ive told them twice and both times they said they couldnt find anything wrong with it, but the only thing is the tank was never full when it took it to them so i think the hole could be at the top of the tank
  • anewman
    anewman Posts: 9,200 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    vickyb wrote: »
    its a peugeot 206cc ive told them twice and both times they said they couldnt find anything wrong with it, but the only thing is the tank was never full when it took it to them so i think the hole could be at the top of the tank

Could also be pershed/dislodged filler hose.
  • vickyb
    Options
    i know thats what i was thinking, but its been like this from the beginning and the reason why its still like it is because i was told you could smell petrol on these cars, but this is too strong to be a normal thing and i only realised how bad the leak is when i filled it up full the other night
  • Pew_Pew_Pew_Lasers!
    Options
    vickyb wrote: »
    how can you over fill a tank???? theres no where for it to go if thats the case the whole tank was emptying or i doesnt have a top on it cos it was gushing out, not trickling, it was like a waterfall!!!! if someone had lit a match the whole place would of gone up

If you overfill (where the pump normally clicks off) the filler neck will have a drain hole that allows the excess fuel to drain onto the ground.

People don't tend to light fires in petrol stations because they tend to enjoy living. That said, its not as easy as you might think to start a fire.

As I suggested, pull back the carpet/liner from the boot area, remove it completely so you can see the filler neck. Next time you fill up, watch that area carefully (or get a friend to do it). Always cheaper to determine the problem yourself and get someone to fix it, than to have them determine it for you (and fail, as you've experienced).
  • vickyb
    Options
    does anyone else think ive got anything on the garage for them not repairing it when i first reported it, just after i bought it and they done nothing to fix it????
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure