PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How to wash a dry clean only fur throw???

Options
Got a large fur throw from next last year.. we smoke and it smells of stale cigarettes.. can not afford the dry cleans so am going to take the risk of cleaning it myself.. any suggestions.. it would fit in the washer.. anyone else tried it????

Comments

• squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is it real fur or a nylon look-alike? The nylon one should wash well enough.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You can buy a dry cleaning solution to use at home but I think that you need a washing machine with a really big drum.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • GIRLPOWER_2
    GIRLPOWER_2 Posts: 1,382 Forumite
    Options
    It's faux fur..putting it in now... scared!!!!
  • GIRLPOWER_2
    Options
    yep.. Had tried to see and it would fit.. going to put it in a delicates wash with no powder just conditioner and see how it goes.
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Come back and let us know :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • heatherw_01
    heatherw_01 Posts: 6,554 Ambassador
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I have washed faux fur and it washed fine. If it is a little clumped together, give it a gentle brush.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • GIRLPOWER_2
    Options
    Perfect.. saved me 20 quid.. put a tiny bit of tesco value powder in the powder section.. a little value vingar mixed with water in the conditioner section it's drying great.. no smell to it. Don't even think it will need a brush.. really please.. thanks everyone. x x x
  • zippybungle
    zippybungle Posts: 2,641 Forumite
    Options
    Glad it washed ok. I have a fake fur throw which is 'dry clean only' too and have found that it washes ok in the washing machine, comes up as good as new when you give it a brush.
    :p Busy working Mum of 3 :wave:
  • pol
    pol Posts: 643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have washed a fake fur coat before now, it's only man made and just needs a brush while damp.
    37 mrstwins squares, 6 little bags, 16 RWB squares, 1 ladies cardi, 4 boobs, 20 baby hats, 4 xmas stockings, 1 scarf, 4 prs wristwarmers
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure