PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

The 'We're saving for a deposit' thread

Options

Comments

• quintwins
    quintwins Posts: 5,179 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 21 April 2011 at 12:56PM
    Options
    tara747 wrote: »
    Good for you! :D

I totally agree. I am very frugal, OH is not bad but he has defo improved since he met me! I am the MSE queen as far as he's concerned lol! He teases me about it sometimes - for example, buying presents in the sales to last all year, stocking up on toiletries etc when there's a really good deal, reducing waste and reusing things - but he's very glad of the money saved by doing so, and the little luxuries that we can have for next to nothing thank to glitches and grabbits. :)

Being MSE is second nature to me - sadly, most of my friends are not like me and some have shocking debts. I don't think any of them have much in the way of savings either! :(

OMG @ £300 a week on food! :eek: How many people did she have to feed?

lol it's a family joke if theres a bargain to find i'll find it, and i'm also really bad for complaining if i feel put out but it usually amounts to a giftcard, speaking of giftcards i tend to buy them online for about 80% of the value and use them for gifts aswell

thats feeding 5 adults (well 4 now) but it's a whole bunch of biscuits and crisps (altho i have her hooked on dtd now aswell :rotfl:) she goes shopping atleast 3 times a week, i'm usually has more bags than i have for a full month, they also drink about 15-20 2ltr bottles of fizzy juice a week which soon adds up, and they go to the chippy atleats once usually twice, i'd cry if i spent £300 a week on food i don't even spend that a month
    J_i_m wrote: »
    I just did my weekly food shop and it came to... gets receipt, £16.23. Now I admit... I'm going without on a few luxuries, and I also currently live on my own, and I also expect to eat on the cheap so to speak by having left overs from work.

But usually I try to spend no more than £25 on my weekly shop.

well done jim, but i wouldn't cut out all treats i think this def makes it harder to stick to saving, our treat is takeaway which we have 2 maybe 3 times a month :)
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • tara747
    tara747 Posts: 10,238 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 5 May 2011 at 10:58AM
    Options
    quintwins wrote: »
    lol it's a family joke if theres a bargain to find i'll find it, and i'm also really bad for complaining if i feel put out but it usually amounts to a giftcard, speaking of giftcards i tend to buy them online for about 80% of the value and use them for gifts aswell

thats feeding 5 adults (well 4 now) but it's a whole bunch of biscuits and crisps (altho i have her hooked on dtd now aswell :rotfl:) she goes shopping atleast 3 times a week, i'm usually has more bags than i have for a full month, they also drink about 15-20 2ltr bottles of fizzy juice a week which soon adds up, and they go to the chippy atleats once usually twice, i'd cry if i spent £300 a week on food i don't even spend that a month

well done jim, but i wouldn't cut out all treats i think this def makes it harder to stick to saving, our treat is takeaway which we have 2 maybe 3 times a month :)

OMG @ your MIL's shopping, all those fizzy drinks, and so many takeaways! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: £300 a week is scandalous really. Good thing that you've got her doing DTD, I am loving it! We are now stocked up on soooo much stuff and I have given lots to our mums too, it will save us a fortune. :beer: Come on over to the DTD thread. :D

OH and I probably spend about £200 a month on groceries between us -that includes ALL food, household products and booze. We could probably reduce it by more but we like to eat well and we have a weakness for good cheeses and cold meats. We don't eat junk/processed stuff, and we don't like fizzy drinks. And we never have takeaways - he is a fab cook and makes really good Thai/Indian dishes, I am a lucky girl. OTOH, we like eating out. :)

I agree about the treats, everyone needs some treats, edible or otherwise lol. It's all about priorities. :T
    Get to 119lbs! 1/2/09: 135.6lbs 1/5/11: 145.8lbs 30/3/13 150lbs 22/2/14 137lbs 2/6/14 128lbs 29/8/14 124lbs 2/6/17 126lbs
    Save £180,000 by 31 Dec 2020! 2011: £54,342 * 2012: £62,200 * 2013: £74,127 * 2014: £84,839 * 2015: £95,207 * 2016: £109,122 * 2017: £121,733 * 2018: £136,565 * 2019: £161,957 * 2020: £197,685
    eBay sales - £4,559.89 Cashback - £2,309.73
  • slowlyfading
    slowlyfading Posts: 13,429 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm up to 59.2% of my target - it's slow going!
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
    Personal Finance Blogger + YouTuber / In pursuit of FIRE
  • quintwins
    quintwins Posts: 5,179 Forumite
    Options
    tara747 wrote: »
    OMG @ your MIL's shopping, all those fizzy drinks, and so many takeaways! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: £300 a week is scandalous really. Good thing that you've got her doing DTD, I am loving it! We are now stocked up on soooo much stuff and I have given lots to our mums too, it will save us a fortune. :beer: Come on over to the DTD thread. :D

OH and I probably spend about £200 a month on groceries between us -that includes ALL food, household products and booze. We could probably reduce it by more but we like to eat well and we have a weakness for good cheeses and cold meats. We don't eat junk/processed stuff, and we don't like fizzy drinks. And we never have takeaways - he is a fab cook and makes really good Thai/Indian dishes, I am a lucky girl). OTOH, we like eating out. :)

I agree about the treats, everyone needs some treats, edible or otherwise lol. It's all about priorities. :T

i know and there all crazy overweight, saying that i do love takeaways but we only ever get it for me and oh, i'd much rather give the boys nuggets/sausages and chips atleast that way i know there decent nuggets/sausages, cause u never know when your out, also it means our takeaway is hardly ever over £10 because it's just the 2 of us and we get to eat it in peace when the kids r in bed, we also like fizzy drinks but i'm too tight to buy loads so pre dtd i was getting a 3ltr bottle each from iceland every weekend and the rest of the week we drink squash now we have loads from dtd :D

my oh can't cook to save his life, neither can his bro, who has a chinese pretty much every night :eek::eek:, my oh is the devil on my shoulder i'll say i'm really tired or i've had a rubbish day and he'll say why don't we get fried chicken i'll even go get it for you

i printed my mil off the spreadsheet on sun she thought xmas had come early :rotfl::rotfl:

oh on the saving front i'm going to be adding £350 next week just waiting for a cheque to clear :j
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • rictus123
    rictus123 Posts: 2,560 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Well im getting by but only just....cant wait for the summer, payrise will make life alot easier!!
    Work in progress...Update coming July 2012.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Signature updated with end of April figures (thanks to the bank holiday, I got paid on Friday instead of Tuesday) :)

Only 2% to go until I've reached my first target!
  • vl2588
    vl2588 Posts: 1,352 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    50% mark broken :j:j:j
    Weight loss: Start weight: 80kg; Current Weight: 77kg; Target weight: 55kg
  • bodmil
    bodmil Posts: 931 Forumite
    Options
    Still plodding along....
  • mbga9pgf
    mbga9pgf Posts: 3,224 Forumite
    Options
    Anyone who cant cook should teach themselves. Its quicker to cook a chinese than order it and go and pick it up from the local.

How does anyone expect their kids to learn about good diet when their parents cant even cook? ITs not rocket science. Bake a cake or two and you will be amazed at how easy it is.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,843 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone
    I have been reading this thread but have not posted for ages! So a little update needed I guess!
    I have been plodding along, this month I have cleared my CC and as of next month will hopefully be saving a little more as I am also in training at the moment to become a WeightWatchers leader and have my assesment in a few week time so extra money will be coming in after that I hope!
    Every penny counts and I need to get my backend back in gear and save - I need my own space and am hindering myself in not getting that by not saving as much as I would like.
    I have now saved just over 20% of my target and hope that I can continue to do so.
    P
    X
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport