PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Fennel - Suggestions please!

Options
OK, so they were something new and different that I hadn't tried before and they were only 2 bulbs for 50p. Having sliced and sprinkled some on salad, I'm now at a bit of a loss as to what else I can do with it.

Does anyone have any suggestions/ideas/recipes?

Thanks!
Mum to 2 cheeky little monkeys! :D
Usborne Books at Home Organiser

Comments

• squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    This looks very nice :)

http://www.thatsmyhome.com/venettos/pork-loin-fennel.htm

It's very nice chopped raw and added to a salad too :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Badgergal
    Badgergal Posts: 531 Forumite
    Options
    Fennel is really nice if you slice it onto some foil, lay a salmon fillet on top and bake with some herbs and lemon juice for 20 mins (you close up the foil into a parcel). The flavour compliments fish.
  • lady_lucan
    lady_lucan Posts: 120 Forumite
    Options
    Also good in risotto, or simply served like asparagus (steamed/lightly boiled) with some butter as an accompaniment to white meat.
  • Loadsabob
    Loadsabob Posts: 662 Forumite
    Options
    Badgergal wrote:
    Fennel is really nice if you slice it onto some foil, lay a salmon fillet on top and bake with some herbs and lemon juice for 20 mins (you close up the foil into a parcel). The flavour compliments fish.

Following on from Badgergal's suggestion, I saw this recipe on Full On Food last week. I don't know what "lardo" is, and I'm sure the recipe would work without!
  • se999
    se999 Posts: 2,409 Forumite
    Options
    I use fennel if I've got any as part of oven roasted mediterranean vegetables:

As a start I just part boil some potatoes, and cut into chunks (especially nice with new potatoes).

Add any mediterranean vegetables I need to use up in the fridge like fennel, courgettes, aubergines, etc. Cut into chunks. Add peeled small onions (if not any add chunks of normal). Also some peeled whole garlic cloves if you like them or have too much garlic in.

Toss them in olive oil and sprinkle with any herbs you've got (if you've bought some tomatoes in olive oil or similar anti-pasta, I keep any left over liquid and use that instead).

Put on an oiled baking tray, add tomatoes (halved) at this point if you have ones needing using. Cook in a medium hot oven for about 20 -25 mins, until potatoes nicely browned..

Is very nice served with any grilled meat or fish. I use it to clear up odds and ends in the fridge, so mix varies all the time!! :D
  • vickylee
    vickylee Posts: 222 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions. Can't wait to have a go!

Never thought of chucking it in with the Mediterranean veg type thingy. I do them quite a lot. (I'm a big fan of chop it up and bung it in recipes!)
    Mum to 2 cheeky little monkeys! :D
    Usborne Books at Home Organiser
  • skintchick
    skintchick Posts: 15,114 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Got some organic fennel at the supermarket reduced to 64p, but don't know what to do with it!!!

I have in my cupboards:
    chicken breasts
    haddock
    cheese
    flour
    butter
    eggs
    milk
    smoked bacon
    green beans
    baked beans
    chopped tomatoes
    potatoes
    pasta
    rice
    noodles
    herbs and spices

There's only me to feed - any ideas???
    :cool: DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007 :cool:
    :heartpuls married 21 6 08 :A Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 :heart2: My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 :heart2: I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014! :j
  • pawpurrs
    pawpurrs Posts: 3,910 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    :think: Femel is best shaved raw in salad or roasted with other veg and olive oil. Or made in to a gratin with cream.

I know how about braised fennel, with chicken slit down the middle and stuffed with cheese and a bacon slice wrapped around it, cooked in the oven, and served with a jp??? Does that sound any good, feel like I am on ready steady cook, thinking about it that would be a fab thread every night, we could post some ingredients and see what ideas come up. :idea:
    Pawpurrs x ;)
  • skintchick
    skintchick Posts: 15,114 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    THanks - how do I do braised fennel?? What IS braising? (I am so thick!)
    :cool: DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007 :cool:
    :heartpuls married 21 6 08 :A Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 :heart2: My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 :heart2: I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014! :j
  • pawpurrs
    pawpurrs Posts: 3,910 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ingredients
    ½ fennel bulb
    ¼ red onion, chopped (white is ok or leave out if no onions)
    25g/1oz butter or margarine
    150ml/¼ pint vegetable stock

Method
    1. Preheat a medium ovenproof frying pan.
    2. Preheat oven to a medium-hot heat.
    3. Melt the margarine in the frying pan and sauté onion until soft.
    4. Add the fennel.
    5. When the fennel has browned slightly pour in the vegetable stock.
    6. Bring stock to boil, then simmer for 5 mins.
    7. Transfer the frying pan to oven. Bake for further 5-7 minutes
    Pawpurrs x ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family