PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Fennel - Suggestions please!

Options

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,805 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    (polite suggestions only please!)
    Just been to lidl and bought 2 huge bulbs of fennel, as they only came in packs. Will be using one in a salad, but would appreciate any suggestions as to how fennel can be used in hot meals (except ratatouille, which just doesn't do it for me)

Thanks.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Lillibet_2
    Lillibet_2 Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I like it roasted in a spot of oil, just quarter it & pop into a roasting tray with some hot oil for about half an hour.A sprinkiling of herbs or crushed garlic works well to ring the changes if you like.

HTH;)
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • reverie
    reverie Posts: 427 Forumite
    Options
    My MIL makes yummy courgette and fennel soup. I am not sure what recipe she uses but there is one here.
  • LisaT186
    LisaT186 Posts: 225 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I do a chicken, bacon and potato bake with it in. Throw all the ingredients in a roasting tin and bung in the oven, delicious (maybe a little water for the potatoes or dirzzle with oil)!
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,805 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks - I did a search, but obviously my search technique needs some more work
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Miss_Cinnabon
    Miss_Cinnabon Posts: 19,481 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi got some fennel from my veg box, just delivered, had no idea what it was so searched for it and found it was fennel.

No idea what to do with it, maybe a salad, can it be used for anything else?

Any ideas?
    Kyle
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Kyle,

There's an older thread with lots of ideas for fennel so I've merged your thread with it to keep all the suggestions together.

Pink
  • MessyTessie
    Options
    Last night I won a veg basket at work :j I know how to cook most of it but included is also three bulb things of fennel (identified for me by our chef). My question is how do I cook it, someone mentioned roasting it but how exactly, is it like potato? and what kind of taste should I expect?

My other question is how do I roast parsnips to make them less like my mothers (woody) and more like Aunt Bessies? :confused:

TIA for any advice
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,253 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Fennel has an aniseed taste, never raoted it so can't comment on that aspect

Parsnips, remove the core first. Split lengthways, then again so quartered
    You will see the core as different colour in centre, just slice it out and roast as normal
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Generali
    Generali Posts: 36,411 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Fennel is delicious - it has a strong, distinctive aniseedy taste and goes well with lamb when roasted with some aubergine and onions in olive oil and some rosemary. No need to blanch it first just hack it into chunks and put in an oven for about 50 mins.

1. Peel parsnips.
    2. Cut in half lengthways and in 2-3 pieces each.
    3. If using old parsnips, remove the woody core - you can see it quite clearly in the middle of the parsnip. The easiest way is to cut down each side of the core and round the bottom at the end and then sort of pull and hack it out. It works better than it sounds.
    4. Boil for about 5 mins.
    5. Roast in a medium hot oven for about 45 mins.
    6. Be careful. There's a lot of sugar in parsnips - they burn easily!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure