Health visitor help please

Hi there, My health visitor has text me saying that she needs to come round next week to do my 3 month health check. I have said that I am available but am a bit concerned as I have never heard about this before and have had my check up at the doctors so am unsure as to why she is coming round.
I have found this health visitor to be very nosey and am unsure as to what to expect. Thank you for any help

Comments

• amandada
    amandada Posts: 1,168 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I wonder if it's the "Edinburgh test"-the post natal depression questionnaire? 3 months post natal is a very common time for PND to kick in. They do it with all mums, not just if they think you may have PND
    If this is the case, she's maybe called it a health check to avoid worrying you unnecessarily.
  • Strapped
    Strapped Posts: 8,158 Forumite
    Just ring back and say that it's more convenient for you to come to the surgery, if you don't like the idea of letting her into your home.
    They deem him their worst enemy who tells them the truth. -- Plato
  • You don't HAVE to see her. Mine is a bit of a pest but I suspect she means well. If you are fine, and you don't want to see her, that is your right. It could be useful though. If you see her at the surgery you can decide to up and leave when you've had enough. Mine used to come to my house and talk at me and I'd find it hard to get rid of her.

(She was doing 'listening visits'. What a laugh. She didn't listen to a word I said, then had the cheek to tell me recently that I must have been very poorly when I had PND because I couldn't concentrate enough to listen. I promptly told her that my problem wasn't that I couldn't listen but that no-one listened to me. That shut her up!)
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
  • TAG
    TAG Posts: 2,823 Forumite
    Wow Health Visitors making appointments by text message. Is that normal practice now?
  • rosie-lee
    rosie-lee Posts: 1,134 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    She perhaps just thinks it will be more convenient for you to see you at home. I think it depends from area to area. Some people prefer a home visit if its a bit of a pain to get out to a clinic or surgery. Like others suggested, just ring her and arrange to see her where YOU feel most comfortable.

Certainly don't worry or read anything into it, I think Health Visitors can be a bit like buses - depending on where you live, you either have them pestering or you can't get to see one for love nor money.
  • Katgoddess
    Katgoddess Posts: 1,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    TAG wrote: »
    Wow Health Visitors making appointments by text message. Is that normal practice now?

My (private) dentist does via the internet. It's cheaper than a stamp. We use the same technology at work to advertise activities to families. If you buy in bulk it works out at 4p a text.

The HV and MW I work with send text messages with their mobiles as it is more personal.
  • Do you have the red book. We have them in Wales!
    You'll see the routine checks in there,. 3mth, 9mth, 1 yr, 2yr, 3yr (roughly!). Over here all appointments are in the home. Been the same for all 3 children. No appointments by text though, usually a phone call!
  • TAG
    TAG Posts: 2,823 Forumite
    Katgoddess wrote: »
    My (private) dentist does via the internet. It's cheaper than a stamp. We use the same technology at work to advertise activities to families. If you buy in bulk it works out at 4p a text.

The HV and MW I work with send text messages with their mobiles as it is more personal.

Thanks for that. Sign of the times I guess.
  • Becles
    Becles Posts: 13,164 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Having a glance round your home gives the HV an idea of how well you are doing.

You could have PND but turn up perfectly presented at the surgery for an appointment and the HV would be none the wiser.

However if she called at home, and you were still in your jarmies at 3pm, there were piles of ironing everywhere, the floor needed hoovering etc., it's a sign you're not coping and you need some help.

In extreme cases it can be used to remove the child from neglect or other harmful situations. I'm sure that doesn't apply to anyone on here though!
    Here I go again on my own....
  • Becles wrote: »
    Having a glance round your home gives the HV an idea of how well you are doing.

You could have PND but turn up perfectly presented at the surgery for an appointment and the HV would be none the wiser.

However if she called at home, and you were still in your jarmies at 3pm, there were piles of ironing everywhere, the floor needed hoovering etc., it's a sign you're not coping and you need some help.

In extreme cases it can be used to remove the child from neglect or other harmful situations. I'm sure that doesn't apply to anyone on here though!

erm not sure wot to say to this lmao my daughter is 4 years old and if anyone came to my house now sometimes they would find me having all of the above things wrong with me???? especially in my pjs at 3pm i just love them :D and i def dont need help :rotfl:
    We Make A Living By What We Get. We Make A LIFE By What We GIVE:money:

show me a man with both feet on the ground and i'll show you a man who cant get his pants off.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure