pepper seeds - MERGED

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
45 replies 3K views
trevor8trevor8 Forumite
139 Posts
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
Hi we eat a lot of peppers in our house can yiu use the seeds in these peppers to grow your own.Thanks and how do you do it.
«1345

Replies

  • arkonite_babearkonite_babe Forumite
    7.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    This old thread:
    Spinach Chilli and Pepper help please, should give you some tips.

    There's also The Grow Your Own Forum

    and

    How to grow peppers


    HTH
  • alanobrienalanobrien Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    trevor8 wrote: »
    Hi we eat a lot of peppers in our house can yiu use the seeds in these peppers to grow your own.Thanks and how do you do it.


    Yes you can, i do it all the time, just follow the guides above and good luck with it.
  • x_raphael_xxx_raphael_xx Forumite
    3.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi all, you know the seeds you scoop out when opening a bell pepper? Can I plant them? Will they grow into a nice pepper plant?
    I'm a bit of a novice, and have only grown potatoes before. Any advice appreciated.

    Thank you :D
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!
    NSD's - 16/31 / EF Challenger #3 £2000 / £5000
  • MRSMCAWBERMRSMCAWBER Forumite
    5.4K Posts
    Hi there

    I plant some from the peppers and tomatoes in the fridge... have done so again and they are growing great..in fact 1 has flowers on and is just starting to show fruits :T
    I just treated them the same as packet seed...
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • darcyvuquadarcyvuqua Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    how do you start them off peppers just dont like me lol
    you cant change yesterday
    but you can make tomorrow better
  • x_raphael_xxx_raphael_xx Forumite
    3.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    MRSMCAWBER wrote: »
    Hi there

    I plant some from the peppers and tomatoes in the fridge... have done so again and they are growing great..in fact 1 has flowers on and is just starting to show fruits :T
    Great!! :D Is it too late to plant some now? It would be in a pot on the windowsill.

    MRSMCAWBER wrote: »
    I just treated them the same as packet seed...

    Um...and that would be how? :o

    My plan was to put into compost in a pot, add a little water, and wait! :rotfl:Anything else I should be doing?
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!
    NSD's - 16/31 / EF Challenger #3 £2000 / £5000
  • MRSMCAWBERMRSMCAWBER Forumite
    5.4K Posts
    Hi there

    Sorry.... I filled a little tub...like you buy carrots/tomatoes in.. with compost.tipped in about 8 seeds and just covered with compost...plonk the clear plastic lid on and sit in a warm window bottom in a tray so you can water.... mist with water so they don't dry out and after about 7-10 days they should be through -then leave the lid off or they will rot.

    The 1st 2 leaves will be "seed leaves" the next 2 will be your "true leaves" once they are on you can gently lift them out and plant into a bigger container..and plant out or leave to get bigger on the window sill if it isn't that warm where you are
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • x_raphael_xxx_raphael_xx Forumite
    3.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    MRSMCAWBER wrote: »
    Hi there

    Sorry.... I filled a little tub...like you buy carrots/tomatoes in.. with compost.tipped in about 8 seeds and just covered with compost...plonk the clear plastic lid on and sit in a warm window bottom in a tray so you can water.... mist with water so they don't dry out and after about 7-10 days they should be through -then leave the lid off or they will rot.

    The 1st 2 leaves will be "seed leaves" the next 2 will be your "true leaves" once they are on you can gently lift them out and plant into a bigger container..and plant out or leave to get bigger on the window sill if it isn't that warm where you are

    Thanks :D I have a little blue tub that mushrooms came in, can I stick them in that and put cling film over the top?
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!
    NSD's - 16/31 / EF Challenger #3 £2000 / £5000
  • MRSMCAWBERMRSMCAWBER Forumite
    5.4K Posts
    Hi there

    Yes..that will be fine -just remember to leave it off once they seedlings start to appear
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • x_raphael_xxx_raphael_xx Forumite
    3.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Great thanks! :D Off to pot them now :D
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!
    NSD's - 16/31 / EF Challenger #3 £2000 / £5000
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Tesco Clubcard rule tweaks

Be careful when converting points to Cineworld

MSE News

£148 of Ciaté nail polish for £35

Via its Advent calendar (norm £59 delivered)

MSE Deals