We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

pepper seeds - MERGED

Comments

• hi we have save some red,yellow and green pepper seed
    help when and how do i plant them please
    and will they turn out the same ????
    this is the first time growing veg
    please and thank you
  • The instructions on my packet say that you can sow them anytime between feb and april.
    Sow in seed tray and thinly cover with compost before covering with plastic, glass or a propagator lid. Keep nice and warm and they should germinate within 21 days.
    When 2" tall transplant to 4" pots. Later on they'll need to go in larger pots or grow bags.

And if you're worried they won't come good from self collected seed then this guys blog may reassure you!

http://pigletsplots.blogspot.com/2007/10/better-than-tesco-or-what.html
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,199 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Green peppers are just unripe ones, so the seed will not be ripe either

To get green pepers sow red or yellow ones and pick them early
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Bristow
    Bristow Posts: 31 Forumite
    I have found that the best way to grow peppers from seeds is to plant the seeds early, at the end of January. If the seeds are from an F1 variety, they will not come true to type. If they are from supermarket peppers, it is possible that they may not germinate if the peppers have been treated with chemicals to preserve them. However it is always worth a go. Plant the seeds in a small seed tray using potting compost. Just cover the seeds with compost. Keep moist and warm; if you don't have a heated greenhouse, put in an airing cupboard, but remove as soon as you see any signs of germination (but do keep the compost moist). When you have two leaves showing, pot into 1.5 -2 inch pots. As soon as you see evidence of roots coming out of the bottom of the pot, pot on into 2.5 - 3 inch pots. Repeat this until you have the plants into 7 or 8 inch pots. The plant will then have sufficient compost to produce peppers. However, you must keep them well watered and well fed; peppers do require regular feeding (once a week at least). I have also found that they produce better fruits if kept in a greenhouse, or other warm environment with lots of light. Generally in UK it is not warm enough for the plants to produce decent peppers if the plants are left outside. By October, the plants will slow down, and, although technically they can go on for more than a year, I treat them as annuals, and grow new plants from seed each year.
    Hope this helps, and good luck.
  • thank you very much for all your replys we will start this weekend so thanks once again for your help you are all very nice people on here thanks
  • RebekahR
    RebekahR Posts: 5,980 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Ah this is interesting! I "stole" (cut) some out of my peppers from tescos. Shoved in an envelope and they are in the garage lol. I shall plant them next month and see what happens! :-D
  • Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    If you really want to grow peppers and are not just experimenting, then it could be worth getting some seeds that are supposed to work in the UK.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • One of the pound shops does a selection of 4 types for a quid. Keep them warm and moist all the time.
  • SuzieMum
    SuzieMum Posts: 128 Forumite
    Can anyone give an indication of how many peppers 1 plant will produce? Are they like tomatos where you get tons...too many to count or do you get just a few each? thank you! (my red peppers have been sown in seed trays, with cling film on top in the warm porch!!)
  • Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    It depends on lots of things, how warm and sheltered it is, how much feed it gets and what seed you have.
    Anything from 1 up to 10 peppers per plant is do-able. If you take the peppers off when they are green it allows the plant to grow more, if you leave them to go red, you will get less.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure