need to get a cheapy cheap laptop

Options
its only for surfing net on the move with a 3g card, smaller and lighter the better, liked the look of the asus etc but linux is a no no gotta be xp i know there do asus with xp so maybe even one of those, especialy so as you can use a car charger with them

been looking at used laptops but wondering of theres anything atall out there i can buy with discounts for under £200??

Comments

• smartie1976
    smartie1976 Posts: 1,984 Forumite
    Options
    If you'd looked about 8 threads down...

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=757785
    It's BOUGHT (to Buy), not BROUGHT (to bring) AND you cannot be frauded, only DEfrauded.

Please do not buy animals from a pet store. Visit your local sanctuary or centre and give a good home to an unloved or abandoned animal.
  • thirascule
    Options
    Linux on the Asus will do you fine, when it comes to web browsing you'll just be using Firefox which chances you are already. If not, download it now and practise.

The Asus EE has a good spec. 900Mhz CPU 512Md RAM, it will run XP fine. The Elonex has some weird 300Mhz CPU and 128MB RAM which may be fine for whatever flavour of linux is being put on it, but it'll never run XP comfortably.

Get the Asus, if you don't like the linux, take it to your local computer shop ang get him to stick XP on it.
    "Hey, if love is blind, how come lingerie is so popular?" Cochrane. P673 TNG.
  • Sid_Harper
    Sid_Harper Posts: 1,891 Forumite
    Options
    Why oh why don't people read the rules of the forum before posting on Grabbit, and try searching for what they want before posting - e.g. "basic laptop"?! (expecting flaming - bring it on!)

Have reported post to mods for moving... sigh.
    The thanks button is here to the right. If you find a post saves you money, gives you useful information, or you agree with it, take a second to thank the poster! :)
    >>>
  • heatherw_01
    heatherw_01 Posts: 6,554 Ambassador
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Moving to the I wanna forum as quick grabbit is just for posting short term offers :)

Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere(please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"]abuse@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • thirascule
    Options
    Sid_Harper wrote: »
    Why oh why don't ........

Hehe, reminds me of "Points of View", every other letter started like that.

Which reminds me of the one with Terry Wogans' trouser faux pas! :eek:

If you haven't seen it, don't look! You were warned!

Sorry, back on topic, have you considered an I-Phone?
    "Hey, if love is blind, how come lingerie is so popular?" Cochrane. P673 TNG.
  • apples24
    apples24 Posts: 146 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    sorry chaps i did look on other threads infact i looked at a few pages worth, my post was due to hopefully something small lightweight etc

regarding the wrong section totally my error i apologise

as for linux its like dos isnt it? cant see me getting on with that atall also if i want to instal a bit software etc
  • jenpoptab
    jenpoptab Posts: 1,224 Forumite
    Options
    I think you can dual boot, my OH understands more than I do with regard these matters but I'm sure there is an article in pc pro mag re: dual boot on the asus, if you can try to it's well worth a look, we have the 4gb asus ee which is fab.
    WW Gold Member, trying to maintain !!!
    Hayden born July 07
    Tabitha born April 05
    Poppy born July 03
  • apples24
    apples24 Posts: 146 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    i think im going to go for one as i see they do a car charger for em too which is great. other ones you have to use those bulky power invertors
  • chambta
    chambta Posts: 2,770 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Anyone recommend a good, reliable website for buying a new laptop? Could of course stroll into PC World but we don't just do that do we!

It won't be used for much more than surfing the net, downloading music and storing photos. Is there any point paying for much more than a basic model?

Any ideas gratefully accepted.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport