I've done it

Comments

• Congratulations! As a previous poster said, let us know how you did it. I can't wait to be debt free, must be a huge weight lifted and you must have a feeling of freedom. You are one of the many inspirations to all of us! :beer:
  • cantcope
    cantcope Posts: 1,886 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    How i did it? Sweat and tears mainly lol
    Before i moved home i saved money by writing a diary of everything i spent and changed all my shopping habits so that i was cooking from scratch rather than buying ready meals. I also used all my luncheon vouchers from doing pinecone to go towards food.
    I joined pigsback and used the boots vouchers i got for toiletries only ever buying bogof's. It did get very depressing so i "treated" myself to a magazine subscription using my tesco vouchers. My friends were all told how much money i owed which made it easier for me to explain why i couldnt go out or buy expensive gifts and luckily for me they gave me lots of girls nights in with games/wine/dvds etc
    I sold loads of stuff on ebay including some old broken gold jewellery (amazing prices paid for scrap gold). And also did a few bootsales. I downgraded my car which in turn made my tax and insurance cheaper. I used some tesco vouchers to get RAC cover on the older car. It wasnt easy and at times i did want to give up.

When my folks suggested moving home i did that once my lease was up on the flat i was renting (last feb). This was my biggest sacrifice i think as i've lived alone for 7 years and couldnt imagine being back home. this free'd up a lot of my salary so i could pay the debt back quicker. I made sure i had enough money for at least one decent night out a month so that i wouldnt be tempted to chuck it all in and try and "win" a night out.

I go to GA every week and regularly keep in contact with the people there which is keeping me on the straight and narrow. Things will be tight when i first move out but I know i can cope with it as i've coped with far worse and it will be worth it to have my independence back. I know that my parents have been fabulous and generous letting me move back home and i will always be grateful for that. But i must admit i cant wait to move out again x
    Last bet : 26th Oct 2006:j Debt free 25th Feb 2008:j Living "my" dream:T
  • sparky0107
    sparky0107 Posts: 3,496 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    cantcope wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. I've updated my Sig now :D what's the roll of honour?
    The debt free roll of honour.
    Congratulations on becoming debt free, thats what we're all here for good on you

:T :T :T
    Sparky0107 - Sealed pot challenge member #002. Total for SPC3 £1,030.57 Total For SPC 4 £2247.00 Total for SPC 5 £2574.62 :T Total for SPC 6 £4552.91:T
    :rotfl:LC2 & Jakes-Mum are off their heads :rotfl
    :j DEBT FREE AS OF 20/01/2012 :j
  • Well done, you give the rest of us hope!
    *** PROPHECY_GRRL***
    *** DEBT FREE AS OF 17/10/11 - I DID IT!!! ***
  • Well done:T _party_ :dance: Enjoy your new debt free life - you've earned it
    Comping again - wins so far : 2 V festival tix, 2 NFL tix, 6 bottles of wine, personalised hand soap, Aussie miracle conditioner :beer:

Married my best friend 15/4/16 :)
  • Well done, a very heart warming story which shows it can be done. I have been talking to a student who is in a similar situation and i am going to post a link to this thread. I hope he will contact you.
    Blackadder: Am I jumping the gun, Baldrick, or are the words 'I have a cunning plan' marching with ill-deserved confidence in the direction of this conversation?
    Still lurking around with a hope of some salvation:cool:
  • G-G_4
    G-G_4 Posts: 3,090 Forumite
    what an inspiring story.. well done to you xx
    :D BSC Member 155 :cool:
  • cantcope
    cantcope Posts: 1,886 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    found my original thread. although i had posted about my debt before this, this is when i really bit the bullet and started to do something about it. It seems so desperate, i can remember the thoughts going around in my head that first day like they were yesterday :(

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=200472
    Last bet : 26th Oct 2006:j Debt free 25th Feb 2008:j Living "my" dream:T
  • Congratulations! Godd luck and enjoy the new flat.
  • What an inspiration you are :A Have a wonderful debt free life you deserve it. :j :j
    Debt Free Date [STRIKE]December[/STRIKE] June 2019

GC January £0/£180
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family