Using Sky Plus Box without subscribing?

Options
12345679»

Comments

• spannerzone
    Options
    Yeah I believe the white cards need a stay alive signal to keep them going so not much chance once you've cancelled the subscription I guess.

I thought I'd read that once you've used a white card in a box putting a working blue card back into it then stops working.

Never trust information given by strangers on internet forums
  • woodface7
    Options
    I'd read that once you've used a white card in a box putting a working blue card back into it then stops working.

I read the same - put a white card in your working ex-contract SkyPlus SD box and the blue card won't work it ever again. :eek:

So Mr Blue is staying safely where he is! I daren't try what Shoog suggested, as it may have the same result.

Though I have just borrowed a current subscriber's white card from their SD box, and tried it in my ex-contract HD box.

It happily plays back old recordings from free channels only and records them - including HD. It lets you view the channels they subscribe to, but not record them.
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    An alternative method of recording is to buy a cheap TV (around £120+) with a USB socket and record to USB stick
  • shelly
    shelly Posts: 6,394 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    woodface7 wrote: »
    I read the same - put a white card in your working ex-contract SkyPlus SD box and the blue card won't work it ever again. :eek:

So Mr Blue is staying safely where he is! I daren't try what Shoog suggested, as it may have the same result.

Though I have just borrowed a current subscriber's white card from their SD box, and tried it in my ex-contract HD box.

It happily plays back old recordings from free channels only and records them - including HD. It lets you view the channels they subscribe to, but not record them.

Obviously it's up to you if you try it or not but we are currrently using a blue card in our ex-contract SkyPlus HD box with no problems at all. I read about it on here somewhere, told hubby, we decided we had nothing to lose (it would work or it wouldn't) so tried it. It does everything we want it to, pause, rewind, fast forward and record.
    Our contract ended early Jan and we just swapped the cards over that same day. The white came out and the blue went in withing seconds, no switching the box off or anything.
    Not sure if it matters or not but the blue card came from an old SkyPlus SD box that we had on contract 3-4 years ago, the card hadn't been used since then and was replaced by a white card.

We had already bought a Humax box to replace the Sky box once the contract ended because we wanted the record, rewind etc but compared to the SkyPlus box the Humax was pants! I hated it and was so pleased when the blue card worked.
    We have sold the Humax on.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport