Bargain laptop for under £100

Options

Comments

• mookie
    mookie Posts: 2,655 Forumite
    Options
    tr3mor wrote: »
    I think you're expecting more than it's designed for!

The cbeebies and lego websites are full of Flash, which this laptop will not have.

Toontown tells me that it doesn't like my Firefox in Windows, let alone Linux.

Good luck! :money:

Why Good luck? :rolleyes: I said I was considering one I have not parted with any money. But I will take your comments on board as it seems it probably wouldnt cope with what he would generally use it for.

I find here instead of offering helpful advice people tend to get all smarmy and want to offer somebody 'good luck' for wasting their money. Not exactly in the MSE spirit is it? You were quick to point out that myself and pesky princess are expecting too much yet we are always skint has asked a question and got no answer from somebody who considers themselves a 'techie'.

But I have clicked your thanks button because in your own patronising way you just saved me the effort of finding out any more on this offer.;)
  • tr3mor
    tr3mor Posts: 2,325 Forumite
    Options
    Will it be suitable for any kids websites? Really hoping you say yes as I have reserved 2 :eek:

It doesn't look like it... There's a review here
    Web Browser (Sarmao, which is based on Firefox but is not compatible with Flash)

So the vast majority of sites with movies or little interactive games and puzzles won't work.
  • tr3mor
    Options
    mookie wrote: »
    But I have clicked your thanks button because in your own patronising way you just saved me the effort of finding out any more on this offer.;)

Thanks! Sorry if I came across as patronising. It must be from the years of giving family and friends computer advice which they inevitably ignore and then end up wasting shedloads of money. I'm sure plenty of others share this experience.

Also, I don't like the argument of "it's just for kids, they'll love it" regardless of what unsightly heap of junk it actually is. I think that's a damned sight more patronising than my attitude.
  • tr3mor
    Options
    ok - i have NO IDEA what you are all talking about lol

is this actually ok for what it states, ie kids of school age?
    my daughter is just 7 and desperate for a laptop but i begrudge paying £300+ for her when i know all she wants to do is go on the web and use word/paint

any one??

I think you might actually be better off buying a second hand or refurb laptop from ebay. Like I've said to others, a lot of kids websites won't work on this machine and it might take some getting used to if she has used Word or Paint in Windows.
  • mookie
    mookie Posts: 2,655 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks! Sorry if I came across as patronising. It must be from the years of giving family and friends computer advice which they inevitably ignore and then end up wasting shedloads of money. I'm sure plenty of others share this experience.

Also, I don't like the argument of "it's just for kids, they'll love it" regardless of what unsightly heap of junk it actually is. I think that's a damned sight more patronising than my attitude.

Apology accepted. ;)

Its hard for us mum's who only know how to 'shop' online,:p my husband has limited knowledge on PC's/laptops which suits me just fine or he might just realise what I'm actually doing when I'm on here! :rotfl:

When an offer comes along like this its something worth looking into. But I always review before deciding. Taking into account what you have said on top of other comments I have decided not to bother.
  • pianeet
    pianeet Posts: 518 Forumite
    Options
    is it just me or does anyone else think the keyboard looks like a zx spectrum from the 1980s
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • tr3mor
    Options
    pianeet wrote: »
    is it just me or does anyone else think the keyboard looks like a zx spectrum from the 1980s

A little. I remember the keys falling off them! :eek:
  • cruella_de_vile
    Options
    It doesn't look like it... There's a review here

So the vast majority of sites with movies or little interactive games and puzzles won't work.

Thanks for that.

That should teach me to jump in too quick! :cool:
  • bilbo_2
    bilbo_2 Posts: 448 Forumite
    Options
    this laptop will be superb

the hardware is cut down on a norrmal laptop because it does not need such a fast cpu or such a large amount of memory

watch this video it might change your mind its the USA version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tgiGXv6HpE

here is the linux operating system as it will look and check the speed
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwzCsOFxT-U
  • tightus_wad
    tightus_wad Posts: 521 Forumite
    Options
    This isn't the same laptop. This is the OLPC project - not the ELONEX laptop thing. I'm an ICT prof. turned teacher who is VERY interested in this concept. However, I have resevations as to the INTERNET access. I have yet to see one work and am dubious how it will cope with Flash/Multi media enriched web pages. I would LOVE it to be all it claim to be, however, a faster CPU would SURELY not have cost that much more to put inside. The £120 model, with bluetooth and extra memory is def. the one to buy tho.
    I watch with interest and reserve judgement until it is tried and tested.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure