Bargain laptop for under £100

Options

Comments

• Elsterap
    Options
    does make you wonder how cheap you can get a PC for if you get a laptop for £100?

Anyone know?
  • Sid_Harper
    Sid_Harper Posts: 1,891 Forumite
    Options
    Elsterap wrote: »
    does make you wonder how cheap you can get a PC for if you get a laptop for £100?

Anyone know?
    You can't get a current PC this cheap or cheaper simply because noone has decided to cobble something together out of obsolete (and therefore costing next-to-nothing) parts... essentially the £100 laptop is built to a specific minimally-useful specification to meet that price point. If you made it into a desktop PC then a bigger screen starts to get pricey and things like shipping start to contribute more to the price due to size, so it's not worth it... people would rather have a laptop!

The reason why traditional PCs generally cost less than laptops is because of the same levels of performance being crammed into a smaller form-factor generally costs more (high res screens, physically smaller hard drives, cooling, chipsets). But the £100 laptop does NOT rival even a basic £200 (or less) Dell PC.

I think it's fair to say that the £100 laptop (great for what it is) is rivalled in terms of raw computing power by mobile phones such as Nokia's 6120.
    The thanks button is here to the right. If you find a post saves you money, gives you useful information, or you agree with it, take a second to thank the poster! :)
    >>>
  • tr3mor
    tr3mor Posts: 2,325 Forumite
    Options
    broclo wrote: »
    Although he will not, because he will be grateful, children without alot always are. These are designed for children like him. This will make his year.

Until he tries to use it and realises that it's not even powerful enough to watch a video on Youtube.

:money:
  • phil7445
    Options
    The laptop is running the Linux operating system which does not need anywhere near the high specification of a Microsoft Windows based operating system.

It is basic, but for that price you can't complain. I am sure for basic surfing on the Internet it will work fine. Also for word processing etc.
  • anewman
    anewman Posts: 9,200 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Great some competition for the EEE PC to bring prices down, can only be a good thing :)
  • broclo
    broclo Posts: 5,065 Forumite
    Options
    tr3mor wrote: »
    Until he tries to use it and realises that it's not even powerful enough to watch a video on Youtube.

:money:

Well thankfully he will be grateful to do his homework in peace and chat to a friend on msn without distractions.

Same as I know brand spanking new cars exist, but I am grateful for my punto as it does what it is supossed to do and is better than NOTHING :mad:
  • tr3mor
    Options
    broclo wrote: »
    Well thankfully he will be grateful to do his homework in peace and chat to a friend on msn without distractions.

Same as I know brand spanking new cars exist, but I am grateful for my punto as it does what it is supossed to do and is better than NOTHING :mad:

A Punto will still drive you to any city in the country. You'd be pretty annoyed if you tried to go to some places and were stopped because only newer shinier cars were allowed.

If I were you I would wait until some reviews come out before you decide that SOMETHING (ANYTHING) is better than NOTHING.

(I've just had a look at the Adobe Flash player website. They reckon that a minimum requirement for installation on Linux would be an 800MHz processor and 512MB of ram.)
  • DUKE
    DUKE Posts: 7,360 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Oooh Linux is an absolute mare to use :eek: Good luck everyone :D
  • anewman
    anewman Posts: 9,200 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    DUKE wrote: »
    Oooh Linux is an absolute mare to use :eek: Good luck everyone :D

It's not that bad. You turn it on, you get a GUI - just like windows. Granted the GUI usually isn't as intuitive as windows, but once you get going. You only really need to know command line for installing certain things. For many things you can use the easy to use package installer.
  • tr3mor
    Options
    anewman wrote: »
    It's not that bad. You turn it on, you get a GUI - just like windows. Granted the GUI usually isn't as intuitive as windows, but once you get going. You only really need to know command line for installing certain things. For many things you can use the easy to use package installer.

It all depends on the version of Linux and the GUI installed. I doubt Gnome or KDE would run on this machine, expect something *very* cutdown.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure