lilyjoy Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    It's ok for kids to use tho!
    some you loose,others you just don't win!:p
  • phil7445
    phil7445 Posts: 483 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I find Linux easy to use on my Asus eee. You can even change it from the standard "kiddy" looking version to a version that looks like a Windows operating system.
  • tr3mor
    tr3mor Posts: 2,325 Forumite
    Options
    phil7445 wrote: »
    I find Linux easy to use on my Asus eee. You can even change it from the standard "kiddy" looking version to a version that looks like a Windows operating system.

The problem is there is no single this called Linux. There are thousands of versions of Linux around and all are different. I haven't used the version on the EEE PC but I bet it's quite different to this machine.
  • GeoThermal
    Options
    Does anyone else's Firefox stop responding when opening the link to the laptop?
  • Ferris
    Ferris Posts: 471 Forumite
    Options
    when will these companies realise that the only real selling point for ultraportables for many people is battery life. a three hour battery is rubbish. i would take a monochrome screen (like my 8-year old psion 5mx) and a really simple operating system if only the battery would last long enough to actually do something useful on the move...

oh well, back to the psion :)
  • VIJAY_FROM_KENT
    Options
    nikki702 wrote: »
    ugly looking thing

You or the laptop? :rolleyes:
  • VIJAY_FROM_KENT
    Options
    I'm glad this sort of price laptop will be good for some people. I would also suggest that 2nd hand you can buy a reasonable spec base station for about £100. Old style monitors can also be found for pretty much free from offices that are updating, etc and the spec will be a lot higher than a laptop. Keep your eyes out :)
  • whoever
    Options
    tr3mor wrote: »
    It all depends on the version of Linux and the GUI installed. I doubt Gnome or KDE would run on this machine, expect something *very* cutdown.

128mb of memory - thats just not going to cut it - even if running Linux.
    1GB storage, is going to mean not much room left after O/S, if any.
    The Asus is spot on. It looks good, its light, its small & has just enough memory (512mb) to run Linux & with a 4GB flash drive enough storage for day to day use. It also has a faster processor.
    If your kid has an Asus they would be the coolist kid in the class, if they had this other machine, then there laptop would probably be laughed at. You would be better off buying them a 2nd hand desktop, which will be far more powerful and enable them to actually do their homework. I bet you could even get a reasonable 2nd hand desktop for under £100.
  • phil7445
    Options
    vjain wrote: »
    I'm glad this sort of price laptop will be good for some people. I would also suggest that 2nd hand you can buy a reasonable spec base station for about £100. Old style monitors can also be found for pretty much free from offices that are updating, etc and the spec will be a lot higher than a laptop. Keep your eyes out :)

But an old PC and monitor wouldn't be very easy to carry on the tube and take into a cafe to check emails on. I bought an Asus eee as my 2nd machine so I could keep in touch with emails and use the internet when out and about as I didn't fancy using scruffy internet cafe's anymore.
  • VIJAY_FROM_KENT
    Options
    If you need a laptop for its portability then obviously a laptop is better, but unless you really need it for that reason I would recommend a desktop...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure