Dissertation motivation!

Options

Comments

• pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,200 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    tell me you're not wearing bed socks too :)

and a hair net ;):D
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • Raquela
    Raquela Posts: 359 Forumite
    Options
    ames123 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend any books or really good websites on how to write in a scholarly manner for my dissertation? From feedback from my proposal they said I need to write much better, which is very true, I am awful at writing! Thanks.

The elements of style by Strunk and White is quite good reference book; very slim so can keep in your bag. Other than that, I have learnt a lot just by reading journal articles and taking note of the style used.
  • Raquela
    Raquela Posts: 359 Forumite
    Options
    hey everyone; haven't been on this site in ages, but just discovered the student section - I'm doing a dissertation on copyright law; due in May 5th. I did at least start writing early, but haven't done much the past few weeks - I've also still got shedloads of articles to read - all a bit scary! Must crack on so I have something for my supervisor to read!
  • aurora_borealis_2
    Options
    sali_mali wrote: »
    Speaking of supervisors, Mum I've sent you a copy of what I've done so far, so if you could be so kind as to read it through for me..? :D

Done.
    My child is a genius :)
    de do-do-do, de dar-dar-dar ;)
  • Ferris
    Ferris Posts: 471 Forumite
    Options
    Absolutely. I seldom do anything in life before the "I can just about get it done if I start now and don't sleep for two days" deadline. :o

and i thought i was the only one :) has it ever gone wrong? i've been lucky so far...
  • pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,200 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    well ive trawled through 3 heavy books so far. and now my brain hurts. off to watch the rugger to de-stress :D
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • Ferris
    Ferris Posts: 471 Forumite
    Options
    Grace_ wrote: »

I'm lucky enough to have a supervisor who is off on holiday a whole 6 weeks before the deadline, and will not mark anything after the end of feb!!! (to the lovely lady who said she treats her students like her own children, I hope they know how lucky they are!)

i started mine in May, due in in September. my supervisor then disappeared (off sick, admittedly). from June until.. September.

hooray for extensions...
  • Js_Other_Half
    Options
    Ferris wrote: »
    and i thought i was the only one :) has it ever gone wrong? i've been lucky so far...
    It's an approach I've used all my life - and I'm almost 40 now...:D
    The IVF worked;DS born 2006.
  • sali_mali
    sali_mali Posts: 1,967 Forumite
    Options
    Raquela wrote: »
    hey everyone; haven't been on this site in ages, but just discovered the student section - I'm doing a dissertation on copyright law; due in May 5th. I did at least start writing early, but haven't done much the past few weeks - I've also still got shedloads of articles to read - all a bit scary! Must crack on so I have something for my supervisor to read!

I accidentally took a few weeks off in the middle of doing my dissertation too! Back on the wagon now though, and am actually almost enjoying it. Almost. :rolleyes: :D
    Total abstinence is so excellent a thing that it cannot be carried to too great an extent. In my passion for it I even carry it so far as to totally abstain from total abstinence itself. Oscar Wilde
  • Grace_
    Grace_ Posts: 48 Forumite
    Options
    Aurora, my friend tells me that when your dissertation gets marked-some markers are more worried about the structure rather than the content, is this true? My library has some sample dissertations that are all 2.1 or above, and I've noticed a lot of spelling and grammar mistakes in them, which has made me more curious as to the importance of the structure more so than actual content/grammar?

Also it is great to see everyone making progress on their dissertations. I wish you all luck!

I have a piece of work due tomorrow, but after that will be working on the dissertation (full steam ahead-planning a solid 2 week block of living in the library lol) :rotfl:

I'm so glad I chose a topic thats interesting for my dissertation, I don't know I'd have coped if it was something I didn't enjoy writing about.

This group is keeping me sane right now, so thanks guys :A
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport