Free wireless internet and cheap 3G broadband article discussion

Options

Comments

• highguyuk
    highguyuk Posts: 2,763 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    jdo wrote: »
    Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread, it has really helped me decide on the best broadband for me to get. I am going for the PAYG 3 Mobile broadband, and have a couple of quick questions:

1) From buying online, I have a choice of three dongles, the pink and white ones appear to be the same, and a black one which is a slimmer model (ZTE MF622 USB Modem). Are there any differences I should be aware of between these, such as quality of service, ability to unlock, anything else?

2) I'm a student, so want to take advantage of the £50 off the price of the dongle. I've had a 'run through' of buying on line, and after choosing my dongle it asks for my university e-mail address. On entering this, I go to the payment page, where the price of the dongle is still shown as £99. Can anyone who has bought this deal online clarify whether I will get charged £49 or whether I get charged £99 and have to somehow claim back the £50 off?

Buying online there were 3 dongles, but in the shop I only had the "normal" one to choose from. No differences as far as I'm aware. I'd imagine that very shortly these modems will change to look like a memory stick, the Vodaphone one is now already that small.

I'm not a student, but took advantage of the offer via a friend. I'd advise for you just to go into the shop and get it, and get the £50 off straight away. My friend was just charged a straight £49.99 for the modem, and then the £15 (or however much top-up) you want on top. Don't have to worry about delivery etc then and you get it straight away. :D
  • highguyuk
    Options
    Hi im interested in getting mobile broadband, at the moment im with bt option 2, can i get mobile broadband on a pay as you go system were u simply buy a top up card as you would with a mobile phone no contract? as i dont have a credit card and dont want to use direct debit
    thx

Welcome to the site :hello:

You can get mobile broadband on PAYG. 3 is the best (if not only) people to go with, and it's highly recommended that you obtain a student discount for the modem cost (reduces the modem by 50%).

Simply buy a 3 mobile Top-up voucher every month that you wish to use it. £10 for 1GB access for that month, £15 for 3GB access that month, register the top up online and away you go.

No need for a credit card or direct debits etc.
  • starmountuk
    Options
    highguyuk wrote: »
    Welcome to the site :hello:

You can get mobile broadband on PAYG. 3 is the best (if not only) people to go with, and it's highly recommended that you obtain a student discount for the modem cost (reduces the modem by 50%).

Simply buy a 3 mobile Top-up voucher every month that you wish to use it. £10 for 1GB access for that month, £15 for 3GB access that month, register the top up online and away you go.

No need for a credit card or direct debits etc.

Thx for the reply 1 more question if im on a payg with 3 and use my download limit does my internet then stop untill i buy some more credit or do they charge you a out of charge bundle
  • travel_freak
    Options
    Hi,

Just wanted to say a quick thank you to everyone on here for the good advice. I have just started using the Vodafone mobile broadband and am finding it brilliant so far. I rang late afternoon to order it and it arrived the next morning and true to their word I only had to plug the USB thingy in to my laptop and desktop and it fires itself up and worked first time no problems. it hasn't cut out on me yet and is pretty fast - which is a vast improvement on my AOL of late...

Kind regards,
  • highguyuk
    Options
    Thx for the reply 1 more question if im on a payg with 3 and use my download limit does my internet then stop untill i buy some more credit or do they charge you a out of charge bundle

Not sure, but I presume it cuts out ...
  • Splott_Boy
    Options
    It will work fine on either - it's even possible to buy a wireless router that supports USB dongles so you can provide WiFi to your house from a 3G connection, but that's maybe just going a step too far ;)

Thanks to all for their responses to my previous post.

Re the above quote I was told last week in the 3 store that the system would not work with a router and 'split' the signal. Does this fit with anyone's working knowledge. If so does it apply to the rival non-3 systems also.

Edit : the purpose being to have more than 1 computer connected to the internet at the same time.
  • alanjrobertson
    Options
    I haven't had personal experience of this system, I've just read about it. Perhaps you need to install the original firmware from the manufacturer to enable this?

The router I'd heard about was the Draytek 2800G:
    http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor2800.html

On that page it specifically says:
    "The following USB modems/phones are currently supported:
    * Huawei E220 (T-Mobile, Vodafone, 3 etc.)
    (list continues)"

This thread at uk.comp.home-networking confirms it works with T-Mobile 3G dongles...
    http://groups.google.com/group/uk.comp.home-networking/browse_thread/thread/4fa30c555e27c5af
  • Splott_Boy
    Options
    Great stuff - thanks. :D

Seems like another case of "we don't sell it so it can't exist" at the retail store. Crazy as it put me right off there and then.

As it stands it is only coverage I'm concerned about and I was promised turbo coverage by April - not far off now. I fully intend to wait until I can be sure it is in place though.
  • cornishrex
    Options
    Hi, Ive registered just to join this thread. I need mobile broadband too because I am selling house in London soon and will be moving around alot in rented accommodation over the next couple of months. Think I will have to use PAYG because I will be moving down to Devon in about 3 months and I have no idea yet exactly where in Devon or what coverage I will get .... It might be axminster area in which case the various coverage maps suggest that I am stuffed for mobile broadband ...

Someone in the thread above said

"You can get mobile broadband on PAYG. 3 is the best (if not only) people to go with,"

But why 3? Vodafone are doing PAYG for £20 per month with a dongle that could support up to 3.6 speed, although you have to pay £99 for the dongle. Why do you think the 3 PAYG is better than Vodafone?? It looked to me like Vodafone could be faster than 3. Would really appreciate some views because I'm utterly confused.
  • cornishrex
    Options
    Oh another question that some-one might be able to answer - vodafone has two types of dongle; the "normal" dongle that supports speeds up to 3.6 I think, and then the mighty "stick". The "stick" is only available on longer term contracts and the "great" thing about it is that it will support speeds of up to 7.2 once the necessary HPD whatsisname thing is put in place in each relevant area. It seems that you cannot buy the "stick" on a PAYG basis.

WHat I wondered is whether the £99 basic dongle that I would buy for a PAYG deal is going to become redundant pretty quickly, to be overtaken by the "stick" in most cases, or whether the basic dongle is something that is likely to be upgradeable in most cases so to be able to support faster speeds as and when they are introduced.

ANy thoughts?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport