Solicitors Costs

Comments

• As a solicitor posting's of the nature infuriate me. I am fully versed with the fact that not all solicitors provide an adequate service however, we are constantly tarnished with the same brush. On a daily basis I work, on the whole probably only charging for half of my time, to assist both individuals and companies in an array of legal probelms. I then provide free legal advice for 3 hours per night every single week in London.

Not all solicitors are out to get your money and thats it. Next time you think about your bill and the amount you are being charged, remember that 99.9% of solicitors are not millionaires. On the whole a train driver will earn a better salary that a 3 year qualified solicitor.

What other industry can say that as a small firm of 15 staff they have to pay indemnity insurance of £130,000 per year?
  • Hi, have just found this thread as i googled solicitors costs and have tried the Hateleys website but with no joy!
    Is anyone on here able to advice as to wether this company still exist?
    If not are there any other recommendations?
    My husband and i are currently being fleeced to within an inch of our lives and are about to head to court to deal with husbands ex and financial statements!!
    Thanks
  • Hi, have just found this thread as i googled solicitors costs and have tried the Hateleys website but with no joy!
    Is anyone on here able to advice as to wether this company still exist?
    If not are there any other recommendations?
    My husband and i are currently being fleeced to within an inch of our lives and are about to head to court to deal with husbands ex and financial statements!!
    Thanks

Go to https://www.lawsociety.org.uk to check the legitimacy of a law firm.

This page may help with the issue of costs: http://www.lawsociety.org.uk/choosingandusing/payingforservices.law and this page may help with finding/choosing a solicitor: http://www.lawsociety.org.uk/choosingandusing/findasolicitor.law

I work for a solicitors and my advice is to call up for an initial consultation. They will discuss your case, whether they will take it on and the costs involved. Do some research about ones near you and look at reviews.
    Debt as of 02/02/2012
    Mortgage | [STRIKE]£2000 Loan[/STRIKE] | [STRIKE]Electric Bill[/STRIKE] | [STRIKE]Overdraft[/STRIKE] | Practically debt free! (Excluding mortgage)

Savings as of 02/02/2012
    General Savings - £3300 (So grateful I had some - just had to pay emergency vet bills) | Christmas 2012 Savings - £20
  • Hi all,

A solicitors are attempting to take me to court of none payment of bill.

My friend sent an email asking for confidential information about the debt / court etc.
    The solicitors responded back to my friend with the information.

I have not given the solicitor any 3rd party authorisation!

My question is has the solicitor broken the Data Protection Act?

Be very interested to hear any opinions ...

Cheers
  • bs7
    bs7 Posts: 774 Forumite
    Hi all,

A solicitors are attempting to take me to court of none payment of bill.

My friend sent an email asking for confidential information about the debt / court etc.
    The solicitors responded back to my friend with the information.

I have not given the solicitor any 3rd party authorisation!

My question is has the solicitor broken the Data Protection Act?

Be very interested to hear any opinions ...

Cheers

It depends what information was given. Firstly, i'm not sure why your "friend" wouldn't just ask you rather than ask you. That aside, court judgments are a matter of public record, however, it would perhaps be prudent for a solicitor to direct anyone making such enquiries to contact the court directly.

In any case, if you think they have divulged confidential information then a complaint to the relevant body will have much greater weight (and possible consequence) than a complaint to the Information Commissioner’s Office
  • Could someone supply me with a current web address or email for Hatelys or another similar company.

I recently received a solicitors bill without a single mention of what I was being charged for. I dared to ask for an itemised Bill. The itemised bill was very brief, on one piece of paper an non-descript other than mention of phone calls x 10, emails, 5, lettersx10, incoming lettersx6 etc etc. For provision of an itemised bill they charged me an extra £190, almost like a penalty for daring to ask what they are charging me for.

Surely they can not be allowed to get away with this. They are also using the impending vat increase to get me to pay up asap.

Now that the child support agency have their teeth into me I have little left to live off let alone pay solicitors £190 for a piece of paper.
  • Lawman99
    Lawman99 Posts: 14 Forumite
    This is an all to common thing with solicitors and they frequently get done by the solicitors reg authority for over charging...

Check out this from a solicitors regulation authority investigation

"3. The Report identified, inter alia, that the Firm had during ththe year ended 30 November 2007 ("the period") been making an undisclosed profit by charging clients £30.00 plus VAT in respect of telegraphic transfer fees, £30.00 plus VAT in respect of a contribution to the Firm's Indemnity Policy, and £15.00 plus VAT Admin Fee in respect of non referred conveyancing matters ("the Undisclosed Charges"). It is calculated that the Firm made an undisclosed profit for year ending 30th November 2007 in the sum of £82,.800.00 in respect of TT Fees, £16,080.00 in respect of contribution to Indemnity Policy and £14,610 in respect of the Admin Fee on non-referred conveyancing matters. The total of the Undisclosed Charges was in the sum of £113,490.00 for the Period.

And all the people overcharged can claim it back... Details google solicitor.info Rickerbys
    Hope this helps
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • coco3
    coco3 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Hi can anyone help me our solicitor done conveyancing and sent us a bill at the same time another lawyer in the firm was claiming money owed to us for a bad debt. They now have received this money but are holding it as we still owe them money for the separate case can they do this
  • Hi

What I believe is if you have a serious issue and you want to get the justice and it is out of your reach to get it solved as you do not have
    much knowledge about the laws, you should consult a Solicitor and get out of the issue. Understanding the laws is not a simple task and it is actually out of reach for any individual who is not from this field.

Talking about the charges, Solicitors generally charge according to the case and also there are many who are "pay them fee if you win the case". But, paying the amount and get the issue solved is much better than getting hassled from the issue.
  • togo
    togo Posts: 47 Forumite
    Argyll wrote: »
    I agree. A few years ago my solicitor tried to overcharge me by £3000 and wouldn't budge. However when I threatened him with the law society and the office of supervisory solicitors (oss) he soon backed down. I wonder who the crooks really are?

Just to say I would like to have a second opinion on the fairness of a bill for £3,143.80 for asking for an estimate to sort out simply a Probate form and then turning down the offer at £201 per hour, but the work had already been started. He asked for the paperwork so I hoped an estimate would be forthcomming, no, just a bill when I said "no thanks". https://www.hateleys.com seems to be out of bounds on the web now... I wonder who had a hand in that?:mad:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure