PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How do I use soya mince?

Options

Comments

• Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Options
    If you want a half-way staging post, Beanfeast is similar but already flavoured, and looks more like the real thing. Sachets that are supposed to serve 2 (we use them with added stuff to make 4 servings) are anything between 75p and £1, so excellent value.

We don't mix them with meat as hubs is a vegetarian. They are very adaptable for shepherds pies, curries, chilli and bolognese - in fact they come in different varieties for all those flavours!

I wonder if the generic soya bits can be used in a slow-cooker. I've not tried Beanfeast in one either, but would love to know any tips, as I'm sure it would be okay.
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• savvy
    savvy Posts: 31,128 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Jolaaled wrote:
    my tesco don't sell it, but i can get it at holland and barrett-type stores..altho tesco do see the frozen variety..but it's far more expensive
    Because I'm lazy, I buy the Tesco own in the frozen dept.........£1.78 for 454g. Can get 2 meals for 3 of us out of one of those bags. They also sell the Realate one too.

Great in Spaghetti Bolognaise and Lasagne, but best in Chilli...............hmmm yum! I freeze any extra or take leftovers to work to put on their jacket potatoes!!
    Honorary Northern Bird bestowed by Anselm
    I'm a Board Guide and volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones ;)
  • johanne
    johanne Posts: 1,830 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Check the Organics section in tesco... i work there on that section and we stock the dried soyamince on there :D
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,824 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    johanne wrote:
    Check the Organics section in tesco... i work there on that section and we stock the dried soyamince on there :D

I will take a look next time I am in there.

What size and what is the price please.

Many thanks in advance.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • johanne
    johanne Posts: 1,830 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ive just had a look on tesco.com (forgot to look when was in work last night) and its 92p for 120g box
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Options
    sainsburys have it 200g pack for 57p I think, saw it on web site, will have to try it. But do I mix it with real mince or on its own?

I bought some yesterday - you were nearly right, mine cost 59p - states on the pack that once hydrated will yield 800g. It has a recipe on the packet for Spag Bol and looking at the ingredients it's the seasonings you add that will enhance the flavour (but that's true of most recipes anyway ;) ) . It's a "substitute" , so you don't need to add it to real mince.

I shall be trying it out later in the month and I'll report back :)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Anne_Marie_2
    Anne_Marie_2 Posts: 2,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have used soya mince for years, as for a long time, it was the only substitute I could find, then other varieties became available, such as frozen, beanfeast and quorn. It's of a finer texture than quorn mince and "normal" mince, but can't really comment on latter as been a vegetarian for so long. It bulks up to about 4 times it's dried weight, so is really good value. I use it in any recipe that you would use mince for, although have never tried it with just gravy, just don't fancy the idea - but then never liked plain old mince anyway, used to smother it in sauce to cover up the flavour when I was wee! Main reason I use it is for the protein and health values.
    I buy in local health store, where they buy in bulk and bag it themselves 500g for 89p. Also you could try those shops where they have flour/cereals etc in bins and you buy what you need, seen it there too.
    I did try the soya chunks, albeit just the once, and found them totally inedible, tasted like rubber to me. Perhaps someone could tell me different, as things may have improved in past 20 years, am scared to try them again!
  • Badgergal
    Badgergal Posts: 531 Forumite
    Options
    I am glad you said about the soya chunks Anne Marie, I have recently tried them and though they were horrible, whereas I like the soya mince (same brand from H&B) just fine. They were so chewy and yes, rubbery!

Just wondering what to do with my almost-full bag now, I hate throwing out stuff like that and wasting it. Maybe palm them off on my pets....!
  • Austin_Allegro
    Austin_Allegro Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I recently bought a bag of TVP soya mince from Sainsbury's from 60p. It didn't seem to taste of much but it says it's a good substitute for meat. Some questions:

1. Does it contain anything dodgy or involve any unsavoury production processes?

2. Is it meant to be tasteless and spongy? I made spag bol with it which was ok, but not as good as with 'real' mince.

3. Does it have the same calorific/protein value as meat?

At 60p for about ten meals' worth it seems to good to be true!
    'Never keep up with Joneses. Drag them down to your level. It's cheaper.' Quentin Crisp
  • sheng719
    sheng719 Posts: 182 Forumite
    Options
    I don't think they contain anything dodgy...i do eat soya mince as I really like the texture as i don't like the chewy consistency of the beef mince...I am not a vegetarian and still eat meat once in a while...but i started as not so sure of it as well...the only thing I could say is that when you eat them with the flavors in the next day..they taste better as they absorb all the flavors overnight...i do think soya is a good source of protein...
    Sealed Pot Challenge 2012 #1502:)

Debt free by 2014, hopefully earlier...:T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family