PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How do I use soya mince?

Options

Comments

• calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,824 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    astep70uk wrote:
    Where will I find the 60p TVP in Sainsburys?
    Is it dried or frozen,and is it Sainsburys own brand?

I don't usually shop in Sainsburys but will make a trip to find some of this.
    Thanks

It is dried and it is Sainsburys own brand. It is normally with things like couscous. The packet is an orange/brown colour. And they do mince and chunks. I have the chunks rather than the mince as the mince is smaller and a bit more dusty.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • angelatgraceland
    Options
    mentat wrote:
    My fiance is yeast tolerant and a vegetarian, so was this mince yeast free and not made from mushrooms?

If it it I'll try and get some - ouldn't find any in my sainsbury's (quite a big one), so ended up buying adzuki beans instead.

:confused:
    Soya has no link with mushrooms but Quorn is of a mushroom type origin.
    I also prefer half and half, meat and soya(tvp) as you get both the taste and the cost effectiveness. If you use soya, ensure you add extra seasoning to it and lots of onions, garlic is helpful. Extra tomato puree,stock cubes and spices also. Cooking in a slowcooker helps to immerse it into all of the flavours overnight(or during the day)and it should improve cooked this way, even though it realy requires little cooking. The previous posters ideas and solutions I also agree with so do take their advice.
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • sarahlouise210
    sarahlouise210 Posts: 3,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have not used soya mince (what does tvp stand for ??) We have been using Quorn mince for a while now and I would not go back. The Quorn goes further than normal mince, does not stick to the pan, is ready in next to no time and is lower in fat and calories. Perfect!
    I have had brain surgery - sorry if I am a little confused sometimes ;)
  • angelatgraceland
    Options
    TVP is an abbreviation for textured vegetable protein.
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • angelatgraceland
    Options
    The best tvp Ive used is one called "vegemince" made by Realeat. This actualy tastes of something, and the size of the pieces is the same size as beef mince. This is the best one for the meat eaters to try first time. It does swell up though so use less than you think-half a bag(at £1.99) should be enough to feed 4.
  • CharleneUK
    CharleneUK Posts: 3,206 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm a meat eater, but hubby is veggie, so it's easier all round to eat quorn stuff, and kids love it too!

I eat TVP, realeat and quorn mince, all quite nice, but I prefer quorn mince 99% of the time.

I'll definitely look out for this next time I'm in Sainsbury's.
    "I did then, what I knew then. And when I knew better, I did better"
  • FunkyFairy
    FunkyFairy Posts: 866 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    My mum use to buy this all the time when money was tight. She would buy the holland and barrott one.

I still buy it today as i think you can not tell the diffrance DH and the children eat it too.
  • Trow
    Trow Posts: 2,298 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It is possible to get flavoured TVP mince - they sell it at Suma, so I would think some health food shops would stock it.

I use tvp regularly, I can't eat meat mince it makes me gag - has done since I was a child, but I really enjoy tvp and have made all sorts of things with it from shepherds pie to meatballs. Yes, flavour is all.

As far as deforestation goes - the same things has happened in order to farm cows so ethically it is no worse (and because animals have not been bred in order to make it, I would content it is better - but thats a matter for each individual to decide for themselves).
  • bluemoon_3
    bluemoon_3 Posts: 297 Forumite
    Options
    kittiwoz wrote:
    1) Some soya is GM. Large areas of rainforest are deforested to turn the land over to soya farming.

This is true, however it's worth remembering that much (maybe most?) of the world production of soya is used as animal feed (and I don't think the resulting meat is required to be labelled as GM if the feed contains GM soya).

In regards to land use, I've read that the amount of land needed to provide, say, a gram of soya protein when consumed directly is much less than the amount of land needed to grow enough soya feed to provide the same amount of beef protein (plus, there's the grazing land to take into account).

I haven't read into the subject much, but I just wanted to add a couple of points that may be pertinent if this was a key factor in influencing anyone's decision on an environmental/ethical level, and that may need further research. :)
    Sealed Pot Challenge 5 - #1742 :j
  • kittiwoz
    kittiwoz Posts: 1,321 Forumite
    Options
    At each stage of the food chain only 10% of the food becomes incorporated into the animal through growth and repair with the other 90% being used to provide energy or excreted. Hence the amount of land required to feed a person through farming animals is 10 times that required to feed them directly from crops. I was myself a vegetarian for about 9 years because I felt this was a contributing factor to human poverty and hunger. I now eat meat because I think political factors are a much more important contributor.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure