'Should I say hi to people or keep my head down…' blog discussion

Options
This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's “Should I say hi to people or keep my head down…” blog. Please read the blog first, as this discussion follows it.
Click reply to discuss below.

Comments

• Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Gee, I'd be giving them all referral slips.
  • sugarmuffin
    Options
    Hiya, I would do as you're doing now if that's what you're comfortable with! But if you catch someone's eye and they're smiling at you, smile back. That's what I do everyday anyway!:j
  • pete_s_2
    Options
    You seem a pretty outgoing kind of a guy, so folks could take it wrong if you blank them. Must be weird, though, people you don't know wanting a piece of you all the time - I don't envy that.

Great work you're doing - thanks, and hope you keep it up!
  • Bargainbabe_2
    Options
    It's a difficult one, but you are often in the public eye, so it's inevitiable you are going to get recognised and approached by Joe Public. You may not be of stateside fame (yet) but you are still recogniseable as "that money bloke off the telly/radio"

In all honesty, If I spoke to you and your responded by putting your head down and ignoring me, I think I would be offended.
    HTH x ;)
    "There are no pockets in a shroud..."
  • Stumpy
    Stumpy Posts: 1,109 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If they actually say "hi" to you, its only polite to say "hi" back. But if they're talking about you, I'd be tempted either to just walk on, or give them a cheery grin! :D
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Options
    Definitely acknowledge the ones who say your name, just a sort of sideways nod of the head and a half-smile will do, or even a wink. Otherwise they will think you are stuck up and playing at being a "celeb", which would be most unfair as we all know you are nothing like that. Do keep walking at the same pace though, otherwise you will end up having to sign autographs, answer questions, and goodness know what!

Alternatively, a false moustache, wide brimmed hat and huge dark glasses, with your coat collar pulled up, might do the trick ;) .
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I went to see Paul O'Grady last year and as I was driving along past the studio I saw what I now think is you but at the time - it was dark - thought "just because it's London and near a TV studio doesn't mean it's one of the few people you might expect to see in London Fran because they live there, no, don't wind down the window and shout "OI Martin!" it's probably not him as there are loads of people that look like that". So I drove on.

So..... the ones that aren't sure anyway won't be offended, the ones that speak about you "isn't that..." are not trying to talk to you particularly but the ones that say "Hi Martin" assumes they know it's you so say "hi" back and the ones that come out of the queue saying "Can you give me some tips about...."..............................RUN!!! :D
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Oh Martin, poor you! :rotfl: What you're doing now sounds good.... you can't walk along the queue nodding at everyone, and you can't ignore them ... I think its a case of the devil and the deep blue sea.... I think its very sweet of you to post this on your site, and that sensibility will stand you in good stead. You'll be fine!
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Tracy_E_A
    Tracy_E_A Posts: 104 Forumite
    Options
    You could either wear a hat and sunglasses like a celeb :D or you could just hold your head up and just smile or pretend to be on your mobile which works wonders to avoid talking. I usually just see if people are looking at me and if they look friendly first.
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Options
    Perhaps you could have the MSF come and meet you, so they would be saying "ooh look, there's that weather girl" instead :D .

I like the suggestion of pretending to be on your mobile - that's brilliant.
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport