PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Knitters Thread

Options

Comments

• plumduff55
    plumduff55 Posts: 869 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi basketcase, you just need to do it once. It makes an amazing difference
    Debt free - Mortgage free - Work free ( in that order :) )
  • basketcase
    basketcase Posts: 1,106 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for getting back.  I'll also pass the tip on to my DD.  Though both of us have tended to avoid buying the things in the first place and donated any 'mistakes' to a CS.

A budget is like a speed sign - a LIMIT not a TARGET!!

CHALLENGES
    2024 Grocery Challenge: Q1 £37.83/£660
    2024 NSDs: Jan 1/12
    2024 Decluttering 24 containers/month: Jan 10/24
    Weight Loss: 0/24lbs
    2024 Fashion on the Ration: 0/66
    24 for 2024
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    < Bounce >

This thread has been so quiet for so long, that I thought I’d give it a nudge.  What is everyone working on?  

I’m just finishing the collar of Simple But So Attractive from Susan Crawford’s A Stitch In Time Volume 2.  It was originally published in by the Women’s Weekly in October 1936.  On the frugality front, total cost is about £24.  It’s taken 3 full 100g balls of sock yarn plus about 25g of a fourth, which was from a different dye lot and purchased as an “emergency ball” a year or after the originals.  I even frogged my swatch and knitted that into the collar, to avoid using the “emergency ball”.  Fortunately, I can’t see any difference in the colour when I compare one neck edge to the other, and there’s no colour jag when I changed balls because I alternated rows.

Also on my needles are a pair of fingerless mitts, which I’m making from 40g of left over sock yarn.  This is my handbag knitting.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons, 0 spent.
  • alicef
    alicef Posts: 325 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you @PipneyJane Hopefully this thread will keep me motivated, as my aim, for 2024, is to reduce my wool stash by 50%, (eek!). 
    A WIP for me:  Rowan Fyne vest pattern; I'm using up odds and ends Drops DK from stash.

Fashion on the Ration 2024  6/66   
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    alicef said:
    Thank you @PipneyJane Hopefully this thread will keep me motivated, as my aim, for 2024, is to reduce my wool stash by 50%, (eek!). 
    A WIP for me:  Rowan Fyne vest pattern; I'm using up odds and ends Drops DK from stash.

That is beautiful, @alicef.  I’ll look forward to seeing the finished garment.

Good luck with your goal to reduce your stash.  Since my stash is huge, my goal is to get through 2024 without purchasing any more yarn and, hopefully, to use up 3 or 4 sweaters’ worth.  Zero purchases so far.  

I’m waiting for bright sunlight, so that I can photograph the collar of my sweater, which I finished yesterday, in order to document that there was no visible colour change between the two batches of yarn.  (If I don’t, I’ll regret it later.  It’s just the way my mind works.). Once that’s done, I’ll add it to my “Sewing things up/finishing things off marathon”.  It’s a huge weakness of mine that, if I don’t immediately do the finishing once a garment is knitted, it won’t get done.  Friday, I finished of a cardigan that had been sitting there since May 2019, waiting for buttons; yesterday, I wove in the ends on a short-sleeved jumper that I finished in January 2015.  Today’s project is to sew in the ends and sew up the hem on a jumper that I finished in September last year.  After that, there are two more sweaters in the queue and then I can swatch for my next project.

I promise to share photos and links to the Ravelry pages, once everything is washed and blocked.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons, 0 spent.
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,713 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    @PipneyJane - That sounds just like me, I have several items that need finishing off too! 

Currently on my needles is a 4-ply cotton sweater with a cable panel up each sleeve and two down the front in a lovely sunshine yellow.  I use a simple stocking stitch pattern that I know will fit me and vary it with different stitch panel inserts on the sleeves and or down the front.  I've also started to use knitting-in elastic for the rib to prevent stretching on cotton knits.

Over the last two years I've reduced my yarn stash by about 2/3rds - some I've used and some that I knew I wouldn't use has found its way to the CS.  And I'm getting better at resisting temptation to buy more, especially when yarn is in the sales.   :)
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure