Will I quickly "grow out" of a new v small car?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Motoring
39 replies 1.8K views

Replies

• tomsticklandtomstickland Forumite
    19.5K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You would buy a lot more car for less money if you bought 2nd hand. You could buy an equivalent of what you are looking at in pristine condition for £2K.
    Happy chappy
  • anewmananewman Forumite
    9.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Insurance would be high but the 5k would cover it. Can imagine they'd be much more fun to drive :)
  • Dan29Dan29 Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Panda 1.3 multi-jet diesel is the one btw. think they are selling this engine to vauxhall plus others as it's by far the most economic diesel around

As masterkay says, you probably won't be doing enough miles to recoup the extra cost of purchasing the diesel Panda instead of the petrol Panda. Check the relative purchase prices (the diesel version will probably be more expensive) and then work out if you'll save that much on fuel over the time/mileage you're likely to own the car. Don't forget that diesel is more expensive than petrol.
  • epz_2epz_2 Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Keith wrote: »
    Just buy an Omega V6 Elite or a decent spec Mondeo and bank 5k. Your wasting 6k on a car to do that kind of mileage especially on a small shopping trolley.

agreed, with such low milage and no urban commuting and arent worried about parking there is no advantage to having such a small car, the cost per mile done will be massive if deprciation is included.

i would be looking at something like a big old merc diesel, the are well cool, go forever(1), not the expensive to maintain and bags of space. also i guess our a new driver so classic insurance is a bonus.

apoligies, i just noticed the button that comes after X and before Z in the alphabet has stoped working so some of the words might be wrong, screwdriver time for the laptop.

(1)top gear drove a standard 70s one over an african desert
  • ok i'm a little strange...

I'm involved in a lot of green organisations so there's a real need to have something that has "green" credentials. Both Panda and C1 clones do rediculous MPG and are under 120 g/km of CO2. So I won't face death by a thousand hippies if I buy one.

So that's the main motivator even though a second hand car is financially better than a new one. of course making a new car isn't exactly environmentally friendly but such are the ironies of life.

the last thing i want to do is waste any time looking round for cars, this is really difficult to do if you don't have a car to get you to see them! I simply want to have one for a long time and know it will work at the weekends.
  • Don't know the exact website address but if you go on gov.uk etc - you can find the cars that give out the most emissions - and its not the huge 4x4's that you think!

I've just traded in my Focus which was 2L petrol auto - the tax was amazingly high due to high emissions. They did say that the new tax would hit 'Mondeo man' - but they never mentioned 'Focus Woman'! :D

I prefer auto now - and its hard to find one that is not big and is diesel for better economy - tax wise that is. I gave up - as I don't like the new manual/autos that are around.

The green issue - well, you are back to the Aygo's etc aren't you! Tax £35 per year - reflects re the emissions. Think some of the new Fords around are £35 per year too, but don't know what models, obviously not auto tho.......

Check out their websites and /or give them a call. Peugeot and Ford have linked together re diesel engine. My knowledge stops thus far! Good luck!
    Genie
    Master Technician
  • epz_2epz_2 Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    ok i'm a little strange...

I'm involved in a lot of green organisations so there's a real need to have something that has "green" credentials. Both Panda and C1 clones do rediculous MPG and are under 120 g/km of CO2. So I won't face death by a thousand hippies if I buy one.

So that's the main motivator even though a second hand car is financially better than a new one. of course making a new car isn't exactly environmentally friendly but such are the ironies of life.

the last thing i want to do is waste any time looking round for cars, this is really difficult to do if you don't have a car to get you to see them! I simply want to have one for a long time and know it will work at the weekends.

lol, im a lot strange. ive probably saved more co2 than anyone you will meet (1) but drive a 4.4 liter V8, oh and not only do i not give a monkeys about global waring i have serious doubts about the acuracy of scientists making a living predicting climate change with 200 years data about a cycle that is usually 100,000s of years long.

anyway the ballsy thing to do is recycle an older car, allegedly save the planet, save cash and you get to feel smug about being right rather than a hippy clone.

(1) whatever the co2 footprint of 7k a week of eletricity for the last 8 years plus all the work i do now for power companies, engineers will save the world, not pop stars and concerts.
  • KeithKeith Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    ok i'm a little strange...

In 1990, Unleaded fuel forced a drop in value of those cars which ran on the disgusting horrible for the environment 4 star.

The governments new tax bands mean my car which was registered in April and not February 2001 is taxed more than the one registered two months earlier, because of it's CO2 emissions.

On Monday, it'll cost a truck £200 to enter London because they emit diesel fumes.

In 2 years, any truck or big van will pay £200 to enter London if they were built after 2001 (irc). Because the Government decided that they became a bigger polluter.

18 years on from 4 star and CFCs killing the planet, the government has turned on Diesel, LPG came along but quickly got ignored, and now everyone should drive little small cars because they emit so little CO2.

If you were such an environmentally bloke, you'd buy a pedal bike and take public transport, really don't waste your money on a cramped hatch back. Buy a 1k car and give 5k to green peace or the Low Emissions Zone fund.
  • Or, and this is a tad rebellious..........

and flippant............

Vote for Jeremy Clarkson to be PM

Frankly - I've had enough of being victimised! Poor motorists..... we always get it in the neck (read neck as pocket) :D
    Genie
    Master Technician
  • if you are so involved in these "green" groups why are you even considering a new car? as others said recycle an old one if you really need to,but you would earn more brownie or "greenie" points if you used public transport.

but back to your subject if all you want is low emissions to save our planet then i suggest the mini cooper D,it gives apparently 72 MPG and 102 kg of CO2,this is better fuel consumption and less emissions than the panda and aygos.
    if your going to buy a new car that will apparently affect our planet maybe you should buy the one with the lowest emissions?
    ...work permit granted!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals